TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

1. Default SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

http://www.savannahnow.com/opinion/2...mstrong-campus

Apparently, the Statesboro campus is old news and the only potential left for GS is in the Armstrong campus

Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Who wrote this ridiculous opinion piece?
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

I don't find anything wrong with the article - those are actually some really good points. GSU needs a leader that realizes that GSU is not just a small time school anymore, and with the right leadership I think the potential of GSU, across three campuses, could surprise even some of the most loyal fans and alumni among us. This is a critical hire, much like the AD job during the transition to FBS.

Dr Hebert was the right leader as evidenced by the BOR running him off.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

the True Bluers begin the search for their fifth leader in a decade with the departure of Jaimie Hebert
    Fifth leader in a decade?

Uh Grube -> Keel -> Hebert

Interims do not count because they only fill the gaps.

GSU-Armstrong resembles an office park under new – and frugal -- ownership.
    That's a BoR issue....not a Georgia Southern issue. Consolidation was about cost savings in the first place. The signage at the Armstrong campus looks awesome though.....guess they're not Whitfield fans.

Georgia Southern should significantly increase marketing funds to better tell its story to the Savannah market and reinforce the strengths of the now combined institutions and the benefits to Savannah.
    The merger should amplify Georgia Southern’s stature. The university is a public research institution and a tremendous asset across all sectors, from businesses to education to government, in a city on the come nationally and internationally.
    Can't really disagree with that.

One state regent made a point to say Georgia Southern, with the addition of the Armstrong campus, has the potential to be an “economic powerhouse.” The chancellor that recommended the merger called for an institution with a far-reaching regional presence.
    Combined economic impact after the merger should be ~$750 million to the state and local area. That's no small chunk of change.

We should be reclassified to the same tier as UGA, GT, Gast by the BoR.....we should no longer be lumped in with Valdosta State. It's possible that the selection of the new President will indicate what direction they intend to take us.

Some good points in the editorial, but also some trash.

6. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    I don't find anything wrong with the article - those are actually some really good points. GSU needs a leader that realizes that GSU is not just a small time school anymore, and with the right leadership I think the potential of GSU, across three campuses, could surprise even some of the most loyal fans and alumni among us. This is a critical hire, much like the AD job during the transition to FBS.
    I agree that we're in a position to practically control a large section of the state and build the school into a driving force. I agree the next president should be able to handle the two different cultures of the campuses while also building for a unified identity. I don't agree with the wording of the article that implies that Georgia Southern ruined Armstrong, that blames GSU for not doing enough to cater to Armstrong supporters, or that the future of GSU is solely in Savannah.

And why were we referred to as a liberal arts school by the author? We don't fit that description.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

8. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

I admit that I hope our next leader has had successful experience running a research institution.

9. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Using words like "trajectory is worrisome" is just a way for newspapers to get people to write letters and click on their website... They are trying desperately to remain viable. Georgia Southern was on a positive trajectory before the merger.

Ah, that good ol' "we have to have find an experienced, driven candidate that sees this as a destination job" line. That's a great way to have columns to write in the future once we hire a new president.