TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

1. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by The Pirate Eagle View Post
    I have one more year here so I will give it a chance. Lets be fair, the year you refered to was the year they announced the merger. I am sure it was a tough season on this campus. Yes, we were good at most Olympic sports over a very long period of time. Just isn't too much to get excited about but maybe thisyear will be better. No True Blue yet but I am working on it.
    Appreciate the effort and welcome to Eagle Nation.

It truly is unfortunate for us all, that our very worst football team/HC in program history comes at a time when we are trying to integrate and unify two campuses.

Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Has the search committee for a new president been formed yet? If so who are the members?

3. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

We really need to make a pinned thread for Armstrong people and new fans about GS athletics history and why Eagle football is a big deal. GS drops the ball big time on teaching students about our history so most people have to look it up on their own like I did.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Won some things? The last Peach Belt standings I saw had Armstrong dead last in baseball and second to last in M basketball. GS just finished 3rd in the SBC in both those sports.

Maybe Armstrong was strong in Tennis and some other really cool olympic sports, but IMO that (and the recent ASU “performance” in the fore mentioned money sports) hardy provides justification to “laugh at GATA.”
    Armstrong has historically been very competitive in baseball and basketball at the conference level over the long haul-if not exactly qualifying as a 'powerhouse'. The tennis program is a bona fide juggernaut.

Give these guys just a taste of some quality GS football and getting on board-for those who are even remotely inclined to do so-will be easy.

I have one more year here so I will give it a chance. Lets be fair, the year you refered to was the year they announced the merger. I am sure it was a tough season on this campus. Yes, we were good at most Olympic sports over a very long period of time. Just isn't too much to get excited about but maybe thisyear will be better. No True Blue yet but I am working on it.
    Thanks for weighing in, Pirate Eagle. If you're one of those people that had a sense of school spirit and pride then you have my sincere condolences. Understand this wasn't something that we (the GS community) brought about.

Don't expect a whole lot in terms of the non-revenue sports, though anyone who actually takes the time to research the history of them can see they're getting better.

As far as football goes, don't judge it by the past couple of seasons and I won't judge Armstrong's baseball softball, and basketball the same way.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

6. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Armstrong has historically been very competitive in baseball and basketball at the conference level over the long haul-if not exactly qualifying as a 'powerhouse'. The tennis program is a bona fide juggernaut.

Give these guys just a taste of some quality GS football and getting on board-for those who are even remotely inclined to do so-will be easy.
    Yeah, I completely agree... I have heard Armstrong has had some past success in baseball and basketball, but not recently. That is fine, it happens, their are down years, but the same can be said for GS football, with the exception of our past successes being much more widely documented. I was just not understanding the point of view of how Armstrong's recent decline in major sports was ignored, while the GS football program recent decline was interpreted as they "laugh at GATA because there isn't a whole lot of winning," despite finishing 3rd in baseball and basketball, if that makes sense.

7. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Thanks for weighing in, Pirate Eagle. If you're one of those people that had a sense of school spirit and pride then you have my sincere condolences. Understand this wasn't something that we (the GS community) brought about.

Don't expect a whole lot in terms of the non-revenue sports, though anyone who actually takes the time to research the history of them can see they're getting better.

As far as football goes, don't judge it by the past couple of seasons and I won't judge Armstrong's baseball softball, and basketball the same way.
    In May my degree will say Georgia Southern so I am taking an open mind to all this. This campus is pretty lame at the moment. So hopefully that will change in the future. Though we were a small school the sporting events were fun to go to and most of our teams outside basketball have been pretty good most years. I am from Savannah and know some about the tradition of Georgia Southern football. I went to a football game and a basketball game this past year and plan to do the same or more this year. By thw way softball team went to the D2 College world series in 2017. Baseball was down and basketball has never been good since I have been here.

Why do you all think overall there isn't a lot of winning going on right now? Anyways, been reading this board for awhile. Seems like a fun place to interact with other fans. Thanks for making me feel welcome because we aren't getting that vibe over here. Some marketing intern shoving t-shirts in my face saying support your new school isn't working for a lot of us.

8. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

In May my degree will say Georgia Southern so I am taking an open mind to all this. This campus is pretty lame at the moment. So hopefully that will change in the future. Though we were a small school the sporting events were fun to go to and most of our teams outside basketball have been pretty good most years. I am from Savannah and know some about the tradition of Georgia Southern football. I went to a football game and a basketball game this past year and plan to do the same or more this year. By thw way softball team went to the D2 College world series in 2017. Baseball was down and basketball has never been good since I have been here.

Why do you all think overall there isn't a lot of winning going on right now? Anyways, been reading this board for awhile. Seems like a fun place to interact with other fans. Thanks for making me feel welcome because we aren't getting that vibe over here. Some marketing intern shoving t-shirts in my face saying support your new school isn't working for a lot of us.
    Keep this in mind, you will now be a part of an Alumni community spread widely across the country. Granted, Armstrong probably has alumni spread out as well, but GS has solid alumni groups in Austin, Nashville, Dallas, Houston, Orlando etc., that can easily be found with a quick search on FB. That is a great networking tool for young alums.

You should attend the True Blue Open House on 06/21 that is being held on the Armstrong campus.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

The campus is lame? Did the campus change other than the sign?
    Dr. Tredell Dorsey, Esq., Black Belt, and motivational speaker