TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by tapate50 View Post
    The campus is lame? Did the campus change other than the sign?
    That was going to be my question. How has it changed? How was it before the merger? Was it a lively place before? However, Im sure things have happened really quickly at first and some things have fallen by the wayside unintentionally and that should improve or I hope.

2. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Not sure if this is what he was referencing, but they have no NCAA sponsored athletics on that campus now, right? I am not sure when all the specific transitions took place, but I was under the impression that all the athletic programs were terminated on that campus this past school year. Idk

Quote Originally Posted by The Pirate Eagle View Post
    In May my degree will say Georgia Southern so I am taking an open mind to all this. This campus is pretty lame at the moment. So hopefully that will change in the future. Though we were a small school the sporting events were fun to go to and most of our teams outside basketball have been pretty good most years. I am from Savannah and know some about the tradition of Georgia Southern football. I went to a football game and a basketball game this past year and plan to do the same or more this year. By thw way softball team went to the D2 College world series in 2017. Baseball was down and basketball has never been good since I have been here.

Why do you all think overall there isn't a lot of winning going on right now? Anyways, been reading this board for awhile. Seems like a fun place to interact with other fans. Thanks for making me feel welcome because we aren't getting that vibe over here. Some marketing intern shoving t-shirts in my face saying support your new school isn't working for a lot of us.
    Most sports?: combination of normal peak-and-valley cycles coupled with a still-relatively-fresh move up to the highest division of competition. Even so, basketball, baseball and golf are all nevertheless solidly competitive.

Football?: a total anomaly. The result of one gigantic, still-inexplicable hiring mistake.

Easiest rationale for 'getting on the bus'? You now have an actual school football team to pull for, as opposed to pulling for some unassociated school with a tenuous or completely fabricated connection.

Welcome, and get on the bus! There's plenty of room!

In May my degree will say Georgia Southern so I am taking an open mind to all this. This campus is pretty lame at the moment. So hopefully that will change in the future. Though we were a small school the sporting events were fun to go to and most of our teams outside basketball have been pretty good most years. I am from Savannah and know some about the tradition of Georgia Southern football. I went to a football game and a basketball game this past year and plan to do the same or more this year. By thw way softball team went to the D2 College world series in 2017. Baseball was down and basketball has never been good since I have been here.

Why do you all think overall there isn't a lot of winning going on right now? Anyways, been reading this board for awhile. Seems like a fun place to interact with other fans. Thanks for making me feel welcome because we aren't getting that vibe over here. Some marketing intern shoving t-shirts in my face saying support your new school isn't working for a lot of us.
    I honestly can't remember reading any comment here over the last year of someone bashing Armstrong's athletics (and I don't really think EagleMan was trying to do that, either). And those of us that know a little about DII know the Peach Belt is a very respectable league.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Ummm, try about 3000 less students on campus. Not to say there was a lot of campus pride before the merger but there is a lot less now. There is very little to do and obviously no more sports. A lot of us went to volleyball games or soccer games and they were fun. Its the new nornal here and with the time it will take to get a new prez it will be awhile before it gets much better. I am on board, must aren't. More UGA and Armstrong shirts still walking around campus than GS.

Ummm, try about 3000 less students on campus. Not to say there was a lot of campus pride before the merger but there is a lot less now. There is very little to do and obviously no more sports. A lot of us went to volleyball games or soccer games and they were fun. Its the new nornal here and with the time it will take to get a new prez it will be awhile before it gets much better. I am on board, must aren't. More UGA and Armstrong shirts still walking around campus than GS.
    What is this a function of? Surely not an immediate decline in enrollment. Summer semester? Students now taking classes in Statesboro?

7. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    What is this a function of? Surely not an immediate decline in enrollment. Summer semester? Students now taking classes in Statesboro?
    More like an exaggeration. 3000 students is half the school. Half the school didn't just get up and walk out. There was a slight decrease in enrollment (not 3,000 students) on the Armstrong Campus likely because more people graduated than had incoming freshman enroll. I heard it was difficult to give tours of Armstrong's campus to prospective students while also saying "oh by the way, we're a satellite campus now."

8. Default Re: SMN: Next GSU President Must Embrace Armstrong

I don't know exactly. I have been here 3 years and the campus is a lot less lively. My professors are telling us enrollment is done about 40% for next fall. I am guessing there is just still a lot of uncertainty about all this. Like I said I have 25 hours to graduate so I won't see what it all ends up looking like.

Our official enrollment number for Spring 2018 is 27.4k. I believe it was something like 20.2k before the merger. If that many students left the campus, many of them came to Statesboro.

But I agree with Pirate and have said all along that this merger isn't going to put any more life into the Savannah campus and will in fact do the opposite. If the Savannah oligarchs are really the ones that pushed for this merger than they might've screwed up. The enrollment numbers for this fall will tell the story.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 13th June 2018 at 12:33 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Savannah campus is something that will take time to develop and adapt. The current enrollees could be disappointed but this is the hand they were dealt with. The incoming Frosh class will bring more life to that campus along with GS clothing attire. Each year the vibe on campus will get better.

Savannah campus has a great future. There was always going to be bumps in the road on this transition.