TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Preseason Mags

Default Re: Preseason Mags

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    If we had hired Ivin Jasper he would say we're going undefeated, no matter what talent we had on the roster.
    Well, wouldn't we?

Edit: we might lose to Clemson.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

2. Default Re: Preseason Mags

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    I agree with Buzz. We have totally lost our identity. I donít see great talent on this roster. This will be the weakest as a whole we have been at RB in awhile. I predict 5 wins. Not sold on a special teams coach making $800k
    Then that's your own fault for having terrible eyesight

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Be careful, UMass has their QB back who shred us to death and their leading RB is back. Now NMSU will stink.(lost their QB, RB's)
    I agree with that. I'm not sure how UMass was winless coming into the game with us last season. It's hard to predict anything with the massive transition we're undergoing with schemes and assistant coaches.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I know this is the time of year to be optomistic, but a lot of you are going to be dissapointed. "Newsflash" we stink...even with good coaching it's going to take a while.
    I really want to know whether the nattering nabobs of negativity watched the last six games of the season. There's a fair amount to build on from a talent and a motivation standpoint. After that, consistency is the first question. Whether we'll see any great players emerge is the next.
    Last edited by pete4256; 6th June 2018 at 02:48 PM.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

5. Default Re: Preseason Mags

I agree that I donít see 6 games that Iím confident we will win.
    So we should go back to FCS where the only thing we weren't confident in was which liquor we wanted after dancing around Elon to the tune of 56-0? Welcome to the FBS buddy boy. The stakes are higher and more exciting here.

Didn’t say no talent. Said “not great” talent.
    If by "great talent" you mean McKinnon, Breida, Jayson, AP, Greg Hill, Raymond Gross, Joe Ross, Tracy Ham, Mark Williams, Freddie Pesquiera, Giff Smith, et al., you may well be right.

We've never had a team this deep and experienced, though. It's quite likely that many of them fall into the "just a guy" category. Still, most of the "just a guy" players fielded multiple FBS offers. Most of them have game-time reps under their belts. We've never been in that position before. In the past, if JJ Wilcox went out, we replaced him with Boyd Sasser (no offense intended). Hatcher--really--brought in 195 lb. Tavares Williams to play emergency NT in 2008.

I don't know who, if anyone, will reach the "all-time GS team" level in 2018 or beyond, but I agree that we'll need those players to get past mediocrity.

IMO, we won't have those players without strong player development and good coaching.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

7. Default Re: Preseason Mags

Quote Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
    I know this is the time of year to be optomistic, but a lot of you are going to be dissapointed. "Newsflash" we stink...even with good coaching it's going to take a while.
    I respect that point of view, especially given recent results, but personally I would be more inclined to believe that to be true if we were in the SEC, and not the SBC.

Pending which ranking you endorse, 7 of the 11 FBS programs we play this year are ranked 101 or higher, out of 130 total programs. I mean, jeez only two of our opponents are even in the top HALF of all FBS programs, and that could be just one team (Clemson) after StAte loses to UNLV and/or Tulsa because, well, that is just what StAte does, they lose OOC.

Massey does not have a SoS ranking yet, but our average opponent ranking is 125, smh. To put that into perspective, last year that average ranking ended at 104 and our SoS rank was 92.

Granted, those rankings will undoubtedly change throughout the season, but the moral of my story is we play really weak teams this year and most of the "tougher" ones are in Paulson so we could easily win at least half of them- IF our QB can execute the option, lol.

8. Default Re: Preseason Mags

Offensive efficiency last 6 games:

Troy - 14%
    GA State - 27%
    App - 4%
    USA - 93%
    ULL - 80%
    Coastal -27%

We had two outliers where we played like a decent football team (particularly on offense). Otherwise, we were absolute trash on offense in the other 4 games...we were actually worse on offense in those games than we were during the last 4 games of Summers' tenure.

Now... I'll be cautiously optimistic about out team this year since we overhauled this staff and have a "K.I.S.S." Fritz imitator as our new HC (that's a good thing)...but pretty much nothing about last season makes me confident about this year.

We're banking on "experience" and new schemes to pull us through. There is some merit to that, but I think our talent is mediocre sun belt talent, we have a mediocre to bad QB, new schemes, and a cancerous new culture of losing.

This is why I think 6 wins and bowl eligibility would be a DAMN FINE coaching job. If Chad Lunsford wins 8 games under these circumstances, I say give him a 10 year extension because he's the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Offensive efficiency last 6 games:

Troy - 14%
    GA State - 27%
    App - 4%
    USA - 93%
    ULL - 80%
    Coastal -27%

We had two outliers where we played like a decent football team (particularly on offense). Otherwise, we were absolute trash on offense in the other 4 games...we were actually worse on offense in those games than we were during the last 4 games of Summers' tenure.

Now... I'll be cautiously optimistic about out team this year since we overhauled this staff and have a "K.I.S.S." Fritz imitator as our new HC (that's a good thing)...but pretty much nothing about last season makes me confident about this year.

We're banking on "experience" and new schemes to pull us through. There is some merit to that, but I think our talent is mediocre sun belt talent, we have a mediocre to bad QB, new schemes, and a cancerous new culture of losing.

This is why I think 6 wins and bowl eligibility would be a DAMN FINE coaching job. If Chad Lunsford wins 8 games under these circumstances, I say give him a 10 year extension because he's the real deal.
    Football is a team game, so offensive efficiency in isolation doesn't address how much more competitive we were under Lunsford.

Beyond that, I agree with almost everything here. Six wins would be an acceptable result, but it wouldn't prove anything except that Lunsford is competent. If Lunsford can win eight games, then he is a very good coach.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I really want to know whether the nattering nabobs of negativity watched the last six games of the season. There's a fair amount to build on from a talent and a motivation standpoint. After that, consistency is the first question. Whether we'll see any great players emerge is the next.
    I saw plays made all over the place all season. There is no dearth of talent on the roster.

The 2017 team was infinitely more watchable than 2009.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.