TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Default Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Just some fodder for off-season discussion.

Erk Russell: ???
    He was before my time. There's nothing really obvious at all. Maybe something before 1984?

Tim Stowers: West Georgia 1994.
    I was really young and don't remember a lot, but I'm thinking most who were around would pick this game.

Paul Johnson: Furman 2000.
    We had the SoCon clinched and just showed up not ready to play at all. Cost us a home game in the semi finals.

Mike Sewak: New Hampshire 2004.
    Lost to a lesser team we should've easily beat. At least the 2005 Texas State team was good.

Brian VanGorder: Central Connecticut State.
    This one should be obvious.

Chris Hatcher: Samford 2009.
    In an awful year we at least beat all of the bad teams in the conference until this game. The team seemed to have just given up.

Jeff Monken: App State 2013.
    Monken is a coach that should've had a winning record against App State, but took two disappointing losses and then capped off the series against them with this stinking turd of a game. If I was that kind of guy I would've been like that Oregon fan that asked Chip Kelly to refund my travel costs after the loss at Boise State.

Willie Fritz: This one is a no-brainer for me. No need to speak of that awful game.

Tyson Summers: Georgia State 2016.
    Just want to point out that although UMass was bad, it's not the worst for sure. State's 2016 team is easily the worst team Summers lost to, plus it's Georgia State and put us in a losing record against them. *barf*.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

2. Default Re: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post

He was before my time. There's nothing really obvious at all. Maybe something before 1984?

I was really young and don't remember a lot, but I'm thinking most who were around would pick this game.

We had the SoCon clinched and just showed up not ready to play at all. Cost us a home game in the semi finals.

Lost to a lesser team we should've easily beat. At least the 2005 Texas State team was good.

In an awful year we at least beat all of the bad teams in the conference until this game. The team seemed to have just given up.

Monken is a coach that should've had a winning record against App State, but took two disappointing losses and then capped off the series against them with this stinking turd of a game. If I was that kind of guy I would've been like that Oregon fan that asked Chip Kelly to refund my travel costs after the loss at Boise State.

Willie Fritz: This one is a no-brainer for me. No need to speak of that awful game.

Just want to point out that although UMass was bad, it's not the worst for sure. State's 2016 team is easily the worst team Summers lost to, plus it's Georgia State and put us in a losing record against them. *barf*.
    I was actually at the Fritz game you refer to.

He's just lucky I wasn't drunk.

3. Default Re: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Monken: I would take his loss to Appy any day over losing 3 straight semi-final games.

Summers: Barely getting 12pts in a loss to UNH.

Fritz: For me, a toss up between WVU and Navy, as both were on National TV, IIRC.

The others I would agree with, or not disagree enough to challenge... except maybe Johnson, but that is a tough one.

Default Re: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Erk low point: Retiring after 15-0. He can't be on this list at all.

Stowers low point: As bad as West Georgia was (we could/should have won), Troy St. at home in 1992 losing Homecoming 21-0 to a D2 school was and still remains to me the worst home loss ever. Only shutout on our turf.

Johnson low point: Losing on the road to ETSU by 3 (yes, I know JR was hurt and hardly played) but we showed up as #1 and played flat. At least in 2000 vs. Furman we were good at the half w/o AP, and a pick 6 swung that game and Furman kept running the same play and racking up Ivory's 300+ yard day.

Sewak low point: 2003 loss to an unranked Citadel team 28-24 which kept us out of the playoffs.

VanGorder low point: Hiring him. Then Central Connecticut State, closely followed by OT loss last home game to D2 Central Arkansas

Hatcher low point: 2008 Samford loss. Should have beaten them. I can't include any of the 2009 games, the entire season was pretty much horrid.

Monken low point: 2012 App State loss. Lose at home to the #15 team and lost home field advantage in the playoffs. Easy call to me. That team was set up for a NC run and we blew it. Honorable mention, tripping out the gate vs. 2012 @ The Citadel.

Fritz low point: Duh.

Summers low point: 2017 Loss to New Hampshire. Knew that one was coming after the crap fest of 2016.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Monken: I would take his loss to Appy any day over losing 3 straight semi-final games.

Summers: Barely getting 12pts in a loss to UNH.

Fritz: For me, a toss up between WVU and Navy, as both were on National TV, IIRC.

The others I would agree with, or not disagree enough to challenge... except maybe Johnson, but that is a tough one.
    Navy was Fritz's worst coaching job IMO (you will not be able to convince me that the coaches were going full throttle in the last week of the season in 2015 without something really compelling).

It comes down to how you judge the games against mitigating factors, like Ellison being suspended or the critical injuries in several of the games that I and E22 mentioned. I know Breida missed most of that game, but that one was probably the most inexcusable among the coaches that were not fired.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 18th June 2018 at 09:17 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

We were outmatched at Navy, in that we had no answer to stop their FB, schematically or physically. We tried to make some adjustments, but Jasper was pulling all the stops out that day and that senior laden Navy team wasn't gonna lose at home on Senior Day.

WVU we were gonna lose, it was just a matter of how badly. The Georgia State game was just such the anomaly, it was and remains the clear answer by a long shot.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

7. Default Re: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

Low point for Erk Russell? Having his name even typed on the same inane post as Tyson Summers.

8. Default Re: Low point for each Georgia Southern head football coach

If you ever saw a single Georgia Southern game coached by Erk Russell, the mere mention of Tyson Summers in the same position makes you physically ill.

Mentioning Summers name with Paul Johnson is just as big as a disservice.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Erk started with nothing. He brought to life a new stadium. He was at a winning 82% & was in the 1aa playoff game from 1985 - 1989. ERK was the first HC to go 15-0 in 100 years & win 3 NCs.

PJ won 86% of his games. When he started he turned the team around in his first year. played for 3 NCs and won 2.

Monken - led the Eagles to an overall record of 10–5 and to the 2010 FCS Playoffs Semifinals, defeating top-ranked and previously undefeated Appalachian State to begin a streak of six consecutive wins. He was 38-16 overall. Did you watch the QB play in the early years? Jabo was an excellent read QB but he was neither fast or quick on his feet. I'm not sating he wasn't good, but he had severe limitations as an option QB.

I like your posts, but now you know!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed