TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

Default Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

The vast majority of revenue loss 2016-2017 was in the school funds category.

Fyre Teekay.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

2. Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

Thank God for UL-Monroe or we'd be dead last in the Sun Belt.

Matches up nicely with our low APR scores.

3. Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

Glanced at GAST student fee amounts. Amazing what more students can do. Doubled ours... I wonder what there student fee amounts are per student.

Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Thank God for UL-Monroe or we'd be dead last in the Sun Belt.

Matches up nicely with our low APR scores.
    Actually 8th among the football-playing schools for 2017. I believe we were something like 4th last year. A lot of the numbers are close enough that they will vary year to year.

The key figures are the percent subsidy. TrueBlueDrew calculated those and we were 4th among all 12 full members.

If we had the same per-student subsidy as App State we'd be well over $40 million total budget.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle27 View Post
    Glanced at GAST student fee amounts. Amazing what more students can do. Doubled ours... I wonder what there student fee amounts are per student.
    Well, unfortunately for them and us, the new BoR policy restricts percent subsidy and not per-student subsidy.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Ticket revenue and donations are up? Dern Kleinfeld...

6. Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

I agree, but student fees are coming from somewhere. Look at UGA student fee #’s less than 1/3 of our since they don’t need to increase fees. GAST fees may have been set prior to the BOR changing the %subsidy

The BOR built in a gotcha for GS. There is a lot of room to raise student fees to where some other schools are (they could literally double them and then some not that they should), but the total budget can't be raised more than 5% or around $1.5M.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    The BOR built in a gotcha for GS. There is a lot of room to raise student fees to where some other schools are (they could literally double them and then some not that they should), but the total budget can't be raised more than 5% or around $1.5M.
    Keep thinking that but it had to do more with Tech than us or Kennesaw or Mercer or State.

Also WTF are "school funds" category?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

I'm wondering what the "Other Funds" consists of.

From the Knight Commission:
    To cover budget shortfalls, many athletics departments receive
    external financial subsidies (Denhart & Ridpath, 2011). According to the USA Today, subsidies
    account for $1 of every $3 spent on athletics at the NCAA Division I level (Berkowitz & Upton,
    2011). These subsidies are generally derived from two sources. Student athletic fees (henceforth
    called athletics fees) are mandatory fees assessed primarily to full-time undergraduate students
    which are used to support intercollegiate athletics. Direct school funds (henceforth called school
    funds) are state support, direct support from the university’s general fund, and indirect facilities
    or administrative support provided to intercollegiate athletics programs. Nearly 130 NCAA
    Division I athletics departments rely on subsidies for over half their total athletic department
    revenue (Wolverton, Hallman, Shifflett, & Kambhampati, 2015).