TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

  1. #11

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Only a few schools in the country generate enough donor revenue to cover everything. Ironically, public schools in that category, like UGA and Tech, also get a disproportionate share of state funds.

    The explosion of 4-year college enrollment since the 70s, and especially the Federal Department of Education's takeover of the student loan program under Clinton in the 90s, led to higher enrollment, massive student loan debt, increases in college tuition and fees (loan money so who cares) and a bunch of baccalaureate graduates working at Starbucks and Books a Million.

    Vocational education is a better choice for many young people but they may not want to sweat.

  2. #12

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    Only a few schools in the country generate enough donor revenue to cover everything. Ironically, public schools in that category, like UGA and Tech, also get a disproportionate share of state funds.

    The explosion of 4-year college enrollment since the 70s, and especially the Federal Department of Education's takeover of the student loan program under Clinton in the 90s, led to higher enrollment, massive student loan debt, increases in college tuition and fees (loan money so who cares) and a bunch of baccalaureate graduates working at Starbucks and Books a Million.

    Vocational education is a better choice for many young people but they may not want to sweat.
    And, ironically, fewer full-time, tenure-track professors.

    It was depressing to see the numbers when I finally finished graduate school (at which point I'd been college for 11+ years, which is typical for competitive PhDs). I just don't understand how the student population could basically double over a 15-20 year span, while the number of tenure-track positions in my field declined by 40% or so--this for positions which teach freshman core classes . . . "Area A" classes.

    What happened to the cash?
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  3. #13

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    What happened to the cash?
    Take a look at the growth of administration personnel and then look at the buildings that have been constructed. In order to keep up with the Joneses we now have two story atriums, dorms that rival upscale apartment complexes, campuses that look like gated communities. It's not just Georgia Southern...it's the world of academia. I went to college in Florida in the 1960's, lived in a non-air conditioned dorm, learned in ceiling fan cooled classrooms, walked barefoot through the snow uphill coming and going...get off of my lawn!!

  4. #14

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by tailgating fool View Post
    Take a look at the growth of administration personnel and then look at the buildings that have been constructed. In order to keep up with the Joneses we now have two story atriums, dorms that rival upscale apartment complexes, campuses that look like gated communities. It's not just Georgia Southern...it's the world of academia. I went to college in Florida in the 1960's, lived in a non-air conditioned dorm, learned in ceiling fan cooled classrooms, walked barefoot through the snow uphill coming and going...get off of my lawn!!
    Oh, I know. It was a rhetorical question, like "where's the beef?"
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hilton Head Is.
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    And, ironically, fewer full-time, tenure-track professors.

    It was depressing to see the numbers when I finally finished graduate school (at which point I'd been college for 11+ years, which is typical for competitive PhDs). I just don't understand how the student population could basically double over a 15-20 year span, while the number of tenure-track positions in my field declined by 40% or so--this for positions which teach freshman core classes . . . "Area A" classes.

    What happened to the cash?
    It went to the bookstore for $325.00 calculus books that cant be returned/resold the next year.


    Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

    EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Alpharetta, GA
    Posts
    42,688

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    It went to the bookstore for $325.00 calculus books that cant be returned/resold the next year.
    Dang I don't think I spent that per quarter when I was in school. I think $150 was the most I spent (3 books/3 classes per quarter = 9 books a year). That's $1350 a year at the most. You're telling me your son spent around $6K per year on books? 5 classes per semester times 2 semesters. I took Biology and got the old book from a friend. It was full so I did not got in. Next quarter a "new edition" came out so I ended buying the new book. The difference was minimal, the pictures and the sections were 98% identical.

    So tell me what's changed in Calculus the last 20 years that they'd need to release a new edition every few years?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  7. #17

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post


    So tell me what's changed in Calculus the last 20 years that they'd need to release a new edition every few years?
    There are two main factions in the calculus world that are constantly fighting over whether it's more important to solve for x or for y. One or the other scores a major blow every few years and gets the books rewritten. Pick up a couple sequential editions and study them. The bias is very subtle but it's there.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Hilton Head Is.
    Posts
    1,785

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Dang I don't think I spent that per quarter when I was in school. I think $150 was the most I spent (3 books/3 classes per quarter = 9 books a year). That's $1350 a year at the most. You're telling me your son spent around $6K per year on books? 5 classes per semester times 2 semesters. I took Biology and got the old book from a friend. It was full so I did not got in. Next quarter a "new edition" came out so I ended buying the new book. The difference was minimal, the pictures and the sections were 98% identical.

    So tell me what's changed in Calculus the last 20 years that they'd need to release a new edition every few years?
    I was being a little bit facetious, but I recall when Garrett took us into the bookstore the summer he started at Southern, looking at the textbooks there were some that were approaching $300 each. Irrespective of book deals being the only way profs can earn what they consider a decent living, it's asinine to think that one book today can cost more than 12 credit hours of in-state tuition at EKU back in 1978.


    Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

    EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Snellville, GA
    Posts
    7,294

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    I was being a little bit facetious, but I recall when Garrett took us into the bookstore the summer he started at Southern, looking at the textbooks there were some that were approaching $300 each. Irrespective of book deals being the only way profs can earn what they consider a decent living, it's asinine to think that one book today can cost more than 12 credit hours of in-state tuition at EKU back in 1978.
    Had a psychology professor in fall of '90 that made us buy three hole punched, shrink wrapped, copy paper of his book 3 or 4 chapters at a time because he was "finishing up writing his book". We even had to buy the binder to put them in. Miraculously, as we got near the end of the last chapter we had, the next couple chapters "were ready". We probably spent $200 - $300 on $50 worth of copies. Found out a couple years later from a friend that he was still doing it.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

  10. #20

    Default Re: Latest USA Today College Sports Revenue Numbers

    ArkSt must have some projects being donated to inflating their numbers temporarily three year as numbers are worthless for them. Last normal year was 2014 and about half their budget came from allocated funds.

    Total revenue is a misleading stat as it gets, as where it comes from matters just as much when judging stability or non dependent growth. From recruiting discussions I know we have some stats deficient folks on here so to provide context.

    NOT INCLUDING ARKST THIS YEAR GEORGIA SOUTHERN IS:
    3rd best in allocated funds % (ULM-UL) Worst Football GSU 74%
    3rd best in ticket sales and % of revenue coming from ticket sales (App-UL) Worst Football ULM
    2nd in contributions and 2nd and in % of budget (UL) Worst Football GSU
    7th in rights and licensing (including ArkSt) and 6th in % of budget (not including ArkSt) ((ArkSt)-App-UL-GSU-TXST-ULM) Worst Football Troy
    6th (tied with ARKLR) lowest in % of budget coming from student fees (UL-ULM-Troy-CCSU-USA) Worst Football GSU I believe UL and ULM are not allowed to gather but minimal student fees as they are both at 2%. So For those that are allowed to gather standard FBS fees we would be 4th.
    3rd in money coming from school (GSU-TXST) Worst Football CCSU


    UL is by far the most non dependent stable school in the conference. I would put GS, ArkSt and App 2A, B. and C with little difference in normal years.

    Our rights and licensing is the most obvious needs improvement and dependence on allocated funds (school and students) has decreased every year since 2014.

    We are trending up in all positive areas overall and trending down in all negative ones outside of school funds being allocated but down from last year.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Similar Threads

  1. Non-revenue sports and firing coaches
    By Eaglebacker in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11th February 2015, 05:53 PM
  2. College Sports Today XM 91
    By gsugt1 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th November 2013, 06:42 PM
  3. TODAY ZAXBY'S & EAGLES FUNDRAISER EVENT BY THE NUMBERS...
    By GSU Fan O Maniac in forum TALON Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd April 2012, 09:07 AM
  4. TODAY ZAXBY'S & EAGLES FUNDRAISER EVENT BY THE NUMBERS...
    By GSU Fan O Maniac in forum Tailgate, Travel and Meeting Talk
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd April 2012, 09:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •