TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

1. Default CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...oQO?li=BBnba9I

Most of the Sun Belt is above 100.

107. Georgia Southern Eagles
    Relative Strengths: Running Game, Special Teams

Relative Concerns: Passing Game, Defensive Line

Here's The Deal: The modified option offense will be one of the Sun Belt's most interesting wild cards. If it works, look out. If the team can play like it did late in the season, it can be a real conference threat.
    "I believe political correctness is one of the most dangerous movements facing America." Erk Russell

Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

Quote Originally Posted by GSU25+yrFan View Post
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nca...oQO?li=BBnba9I

Most of the Sun Belt is above 100.

107. Georgia Southern Eagles
    Relative Strengths: Running Game, Special Teams

Relative Concerns: Passing Game, Defensive Line

Here's The Deal: The modified option offense will be one of the Sun Belt's most interesting wild cards. If it works, look out. If the team can play like it did late in the season, it can be a real conference threat.
    +1

3. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

IMO our QB play is the principle concern... the fact that we are the only SBC East program with a returning starter and still picked to finish tied with Ga State for second-to-last tells me I am not the only one with that observation.

Defensive line was said to be a strength on one of the publications that was posted here in the last week or so. I’m going out on a limb and saying the defensive line is not a concern. That would be the offensive line.

Just a guess, but I would take any strength/weakness predictions by guys who don’t cover the Sun Belt with a large grain of salt.

I don’t think our DL is a bunch of world beaters, but I’d put them in the top half of the conference. I think the projections that doubt them are just lazily looking at stats and returners from last season. And rushing yards allowed (probably one of the main stats these guys are using) were high since we never kept the ball on offense and spent most of the season defending against teams working with comfortable leads.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO our QB play is the principle concern... the fact that we are the only SBC East program with a returning starter and still picked to finish tied with Ga State for second-to-last tells me I am not the only one with that observation.
    It's not surprising, given the way the offense has looked the past two seasons. But here's the thing that these prognosticators aren't considering -- Unlike the past two seasons when Werts was redshirting and then starting as a RFr, he actually has coaches this year who might just know a thing or two about the offense they're supposed to be coaching.

Maybe I'm staring through my blue-colored glasses, but I am optimistic that our offense can get back on track this season and the team as a whole can get back to where it should be -- contending for a conference championship every single year.

I think it's hard to overstate the level of incompetence displayed by the coaching staff the past two seasons. Summers was a disaster, but given our location and resources, not a disaster that should take years to rebound from. Coach Lunsford has a young team and did one heck of a job with the last recruiting class. I still think our future is very bright, and the darkness of the past two seasons will make it all the sweeter.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

I suspect Werts will do just fine if the offensive line allows him to. It was a miracle he didn't get broken in half last year.

O-line is by far the biggest question mark for GS, and we saw last year was a far cry from what we have seen from GS lines in the past. The team will go as far this year as their o-line allows them to. I am not worried about Werts in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    I suspect Werts will do just fine if the offensive line allows him to. It was a miracle he didn't get broken in half last year.

O-line is by far the biggest question mark for GS, and we saw last year was a far cry from what we have seen from GS lines in the past. The team will go as far this year as their o-line allows them to. I am not worried about Werts in the least.
    I thought there was a chance that last year he mentally never fully recovered from the Auburn game, where the DL came at him virtually un-impeded the whole game.

9. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post

Let's not let Werts off the hook and blame the O-line. There were PLENTY of times last year where Werts failed to make "heady" QB plays and simply took sacks (and panicked) because he was a deer in the headlights. Hopefully experience will help with that.

I can't think of a single time last year where Werts went through his progressions, decided that a throw could not be made, and then rolled out of the pocket and threw the ball out of bounds (to live till another play).

The vast majority of his pass attempts looked something like this:

1. drop back
    2. look at primary receivers (throw if WIDDDDDE OPEN)
    3. If not open, immediately panic and start scrambling
    4. If scrambling and outside the pocket do NOT throw the ball out of bounds.
    5. fight like hell to gain positive yardage out of a broken play, but ultimately get sacked for a loss and take a beating in the process.

This is the "game manager/field general" part of the game that Werts needs to work on. It will help that we have a competent scheme/coordinator, but the QB can make a ****ty scheme look better than it is if he plays with a little bit of awareness.

Werts has the legs and the arm talent for days...he needs to grow up and play QB. He only started make consistent pitch reads in the last 3 games (before that, he absolutely REFUSED to pitch the ball)...he took baby steps last year...not giant leaps forward. We'll see how he looks against SC State.

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    Just a guess, but I would take any strength/weakness predictions by guys who don’t cover the Sun Belt with a large grain of salt.

I don’t think our DL is a bunch of world beaters, but I’d put them in the top half of the conference. I think the projections that doubt them are just lazily looking at stats and returners from last season. And rushing yards allowed (probably one of the main stats these guys are using) were high since we never kept the ball on offense and spent most of the season defending against teams working with comfortable leads.
    It could be considered a weakness as those guys are transitioning to a 3-4. For a short review like this, it's not surprising that a writer would put that in as food for thought.