TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

This team will go through massive growing pains simply from the new defense being implemented and a 3rd OC in as many years. The season will ride on Werts learning the offense, making his reads, and staying healthy. IMO, this defense is very talented but they are also learning a new system which simply takes time and unfortunately game experience which they can't make many mistakes because the offense is also learning from new coaches.

The key word in this season is to be PATIENT!!!!

2. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

We were 2-10 and lost to teams 130 and 124 on that list. We have enough weaknesses to go around. Our RBs are a strength. But if they have no holes to run through, it's a hideous strength.

3. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

I would like to see us have the same HC, OC, and DC in 2019. That would be a good start.

Wesley Fields has had to learn 4 offenses in 4 years, from 5 different OCs...

3 of those OCs were trying to run an offense they had never run before...

2016 might very well have been the second-best offensive roster ever (only because 1999 set the bar so high) and Tyson Summers produced dog**** offensive numbers. That right there should make anyone at least question their doubts about the roster.

Heck, I honestly think you could've brought back the Hatcher/Gillespie duo to run that makeshift spread they ran in 2007 and they would've scored at least 400 points in the regular-season.

I get the trepidation about Lunsford....there's not many sure things when it comes to coaches. But the roster panic is stuff I've heard before back in 2007 and 2010 and even 2014 with concerns we might not have a running back. I'm sure things like that were said in 1997 as well. Whenever we have a competent head coach replace one that had did poorly, there's always returning players who didn't do much under the predecessor coach who come out of nowhere and make an impact with the new coach and young players who step up and fill voids as well. It happens every time.

Most fans didn't know who Brett Moore and JJ Wilcox and Matt Breida are until a new coach came in and turned them into standouts.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Most fans didn't know who Brett Moore and JJ Wilcox and Matt Breida are until a new coach came in and turned them into standouts.
    Very true. I vividly remember being at the NCST game in 2014. When Breida burst through for that 61(?) yard TD early in the game, a BUNCH of us in the stands were looking at each other asking "who the hell was that?"
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    Very true. I vividly remember being at the NCST game in 2014. When Breida burst through for that 61(?) yard TD early in the game, a BUNCH of us in the stands were looking at each other asking "who the hell was that?"
    My thought exactly.

7. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    IMO that is more because they were underclassmen/freshmen needing to develop and less because a HC “turned them into standouts.”

Just because they were standouts as upperclassmen does not automatically categorize them as a missed oppurtunity because they should have been standouts as a freshmen, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I would like to see us have the same HC, OC, and DC in 2019. That would be a good start.

Daaaammnn, when you put it that way..

9. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

This. The impact of this alone is enough to decimate any program. Pulling 2 wins out of that trash might speak to our coach's knowledge of the game AND process. TS might've had some of the first but none of the latter.

Continuity is vital. Not just continuity of staff, but offense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post

Quote Originally Posted by StingingEagle View Post
    This. The impact of this alone is enough to decimate any program. Pulling 2 wins out of that trash might speak to our coach's knowledge of the game AND process. TS might've had some of the first but none of the latter.

Continuity is vital-ish. Not just continuity of staff, but offense as well.
    Ark St had 4 different coaches in 2011, 12, 13, and 14 and went 10-3, 10-3, 8-5, 7-6. They dropped off a bit, but even with 1 and done coaches they still managed to win 7+ games every season. If the coaches you are bringing in are worth their salt they'll find ways not to decimate a program.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum