TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 40

Thread: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

  1. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by ToastyGS View Post
    Ark St had 4 different coaches in 2011, 12, 13, and 14 and went 10-3, 10-3, 8-5, 7-6. They dropped off a bit, but even with 1 and done coaches they still managed to win 7+ games every season. If the coaches you are bringing in are worth their salt they'll find ways not to decimate a program.
    This. Our problem wasn't change it was changing to awful coaches. The rest is excuses.

  2. #22

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    IMO that is more because they were underclassmen/freshmen needing to develop and less because a HC “turned them into standouts.”

    Just because they were standouts as upperclassmen does not automatically categorize them as a missed oppurtunity because they should have been standouts as a freshmen, too.
    That's true, although Brett Moore was a rising junior in Monken's first off-season.

    The point is, in the past when we've been through coaching changes coming off an awful year we tend to not realize what we have and underestimate talent.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  3. #23

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by gsu01 View Post
    This. Our problem wasn't change it was changing to awful coaches. The rest is excuses.
    THIS!

  4. #24

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    That's true, although Brett Moore was a rising junior in Monken's first off-season.

    The point is, in the past when we've been through coaching changes coming off an awful year we tend to not realize what we have and underestimate talent.
    Even more to your point, Moore was the third-string LS under Hatcher and probably wouldn't have ever played a meaningful down without a scheme change that fit his talent (as Veer OT) exactly.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  5. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Even more to your point, Moore was the third-string LS under Hatcher and probably wouldn't have ever played a meaningful down without a scheme change that fit his talent (as Veer OT) exactly.
    His story is pretty crazy in that regard.

  6. Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Let's not let Werts off the hook and blame the O-line. There were PLENTY of times last year where Werts failed to make "heady" QB plays and simply took sacks (and panicked) because he was a deer in the headlights. Hopefully experience will help with that.

    I can't think of a single time last year where Werts went through his progressions, decided that a throw could not be made, and then rolled out of the pocket and threw the ball out of bounds (to live till another play).

    The vast majority of his pass attempts looked something like this:

    1. drop back
    2. look at primary receivers (throw if WIDDDDDE OPEN)
    3. If not open, immediately panic and start scrambling
    4. If scrambling and outside the pocket do NOT throw the ball out of bounds.
    5. fight like hell to gain positive yardage out of a broken play, but ultimately get sacked for a loss and take a beating in the process.

    This is the "game manager/field general" part of the game that Werts needs to work on. It will help that we have a competent scheme/coordinator, but the QB can make a ****ty scheme look better than it is if he plays with a little bit of awareness.

    Werts has the legs and the arm talent for days...he needs to grow up and play QB. He only started make consistent pitch reads in the last 3 games (before that, he absolutely REFUSED to pitch the ball)...he took baby steps last year...not giant leaps forward. We'll see how he looks against SC State.
    I wonder if a lot of this was a result of starting against Auburn.

    That was a rough first impression for a new guy.

    Hopefully, he will become more comfortable. And who could be comfortable behind that line? I mean, they worked hard-but hard work without a good plan is seldom useful.

    I think a solid blocking scheme will help immensely. We just watched folks walk right past (and around) the line all season.

  7. #27

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    His story is pretty crazy in that regard.
    Yep. Considering that he was a two-time all-American, you would think that Hatcher could have found SOMEWHERE for him. DE if not OL.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

  8. #28

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    And who would've thought in 2006 Raja Andrews would be the #2 all-time leading receiver?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    27,360

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Auburn had nothing to do with it. Last spring and Fall Werts was doing the same thing in scrimmages that he did in games. Not throwing unless the receiver was WIDE OPEN and bailing on the play way too early. It’s like he doesn’t have the ability to think AND be athletic at the same time. He hits a point way too quick in the play where his brain shuts down and he tries to let his athleticism take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

  10. #30

    Default Re: CFN Preview 2018 College Football Rankings & Previews: No. 1 to 130

    Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Auburn had nothing to do with it. Last spring and Fall Werts was doing the same thing in scrimmages that he did in games. Not throwing unless the receiver was WIDE OPEN and bailing on the play way too early. It’s like he doesn’t have the ability to think AND be athletic at the same time. He hits a point way too quick in the play where his brain shuts down and he tries to let his athleticism take over.
    Unfortunately this is an accurate assessment. At least as far back as spring practice.

Similar Threads

  1. SB Nation's College Football Preview
    By GATA in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25th August 2015, 12:13 PM
  2. Georgia college football rankings
    By Pike51 in forum TALON Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd July 2010, 12:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •