TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here We Grow Again

1. Default Re: Here We Grow Again

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    I have Dr Henry’s autograph on my diploma. 
    Mine too.
    When I graduated and he gave me my diploma, he said, "Thanks, Reuben." I replied, "Thanks, Nick."

2. Default Re: Here We Grow Again

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    The IAB is replacing the trailers that housed the fashion design and rotc departments.

The new engineering building is going across Atkins Blvd from the new biology building.

For those that haven’t been to campus recently, I highly recommend it. One of the most beautiful campuses in the state hands down.
    Trailers ... hell, I had classes in the Blue Building. Which was supposed to be temporary and wound up lasting, what, 20 years? Also had a class in the South building, which thankfully, really did wind up having a short life. Had most of my classes in either Newton or MPP.
    Used to play a lot of basketball on the outdoor courts right behind Hanner and some next to Carroll Building.

Default Re: Here We Grow Again

I read somewhere that the Blue building was put up in the 60's and it was still there when I graduated in '95.

There was a model of what the campus was supposed to look like in the Union. It was called the "20 Year Plan" and I remember seeing it as a freshman in 91 and thinking "Twenty years? No one will be alive at that time."
    Drew Geer
    Georgia Southern University 1991-1995
    BA History

Quote Originally Posted by SSEagle View Post
    Well, I think to be a MAJOR university, the school has to have leading research and academic programs. Georgia Southern doesn't make its mark in World rankings of universities and its research activity is moderate using the Carnegie classification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Logistics: #15 in the World? Pretty good mark imop.

Great writeup in the Herald about the new buildings coming to our campuses. More specifically, the Engineering Research Center. Hope we call it “the ERC.” I didn’t know it was the largest project in the state’s fiscal budget this year. That’s pretty neat. The article also implied that more engineering fields could be in GS’s future.

Also good to hear some positive things about the interim. I was iffy on her but at least she’s a smart business woman who recognizes GS’s potential with the rapid industrialization of Savannah.

thoughts?

https://www.statesboroherald.com/loc...rgia-southern/
    Contrary to what many believe, the board of regents and the state government do not have any reason to sabatoge one of the bigger universies in the state.

6. Default Re: Here We Grow Again

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Logistics: #15 in the World? Pretty good mark imop.
    Whose ranking are you referring to? And really, if Georgia Southern had some impressive faculty in the field, it would be so easy for other schools to poach them.

Great writeup in the Herald about the new buildings coming to our campuses. More specifically, the Engineering Research Center. Hope we call it “the ERC.” I didn’t know it was the largest project in the state’s fiscal budget this year. That’s pretty neat. The article also implied that more engineering fields could be in GS’s future.

Also good to hear some positive things about the interim. I was iffy on her but at least she’s a smart business woman who recognizes GS’s potential with the rapid industrialization of Savannah.

thoughts?

https://www.statesboroherald.com/loc...rgia-southern/
    SUPPER!
    We missed a Hundi factory being built outside of Savannah about 15 years ago. It went to Bama. If we had a very good engineering program that could also add the needed programs maybe we could bring the next plant between GSU and SAV. and they could directly hire.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    SUPPER!
    We missed a Hundi factory being built outside of Savannah about 15 years ago. It went to Bama. If we had a very good engineering program that could also add the needed programs maybe we could bring the next plant between GSU and SAV. and they could directly hire.
    I have a feeling the port in Mobile had more of an impact on that than any university.

The dredging of the port in Savannah could open up opportunities like this though, and the university needs to be poised to pounce on the opportunities that industry may bring in.

Quote Originally Posted by SSEagle View Post
    Well, I think to be a MAJOR university, the school has to have leading research and academic programs. Georgia Southern doesn't make its mark in World rankings of universities and its research activity is moderate using the Carnegie classification.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States
    That would require a redesignation by the BoR to put us on the same tier as UGA/GT/Gast to receive more money for research. As it is, we are currently on the same tier as Valdosta State, yet we're now the (I think) third largest university in the state behind UGA and Gast. According to the BoR, we are not a research university, although we have received that designation from Carnegie.

My hope that would be with the consolidation and all, the next thing in store for Georgia Southern would be receiving a new designation to put us on the top tier by the BoR.

10. Default Re: Here We Grow Again

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    That would require a redesignation by the BoR to put us on the same tier as UGA/GT/Gast to receive more money for research. As it is, we are currently on the same tier as Valdosta State, yet we're now the (I think) third largest university in the state behind UGA and Gast. According to the BoR, we are not a research university, although we have received that designation from Carnegie.

My hope that would be with the consolidation and all, the next thing in store for Georgia Southern would be receiving a new designation to put us on the top tier by the BoR.
    We're still technically on the same tier as Valdosta State and Kennesaw State but our endowment is over twice what those schools get. We're really on a no-man's land tier between the comprehensives and the researches. All we need is something to push us up a little higher and I feel like the ERC could do that.