TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt key winnable OOC games

Default Re: Sun Belt key winnable OOC games

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    Troy has surprisingly been very under attended by comparison. Part of that is that one time we played them was the last game of the season with the 1-6 meltdown under CTS. I think you are giving the opponent too much credit on who is coming and not coming to a game. The vast majority of our fans are coming to the game regardless. The only major swing in attendance will be a huge rival, or a very well known team. Boise, BYU, Houston, etc are going to be huge with attendance. Any other G5 team we currently have scheduled is going to be 21-23K like every other non weeknight/no Thanksgiving game unless we keep losing.
    I think you're underestimating the attendance impact. We played Troy on Thursday in 2014 when they were doing poorly and at the end of the disastrous 2016 so it's not really fair to take those numbers at face value.

And you're forgetting here that the original point of this thread was looking at the conference as a whole and not one team. If you can get several teams to where they give you a boost of several thousand, that adds up.

And now that we are going to be looking at 1-2 weekday home games consistently (usually against the better teams in the league) I would say it makes an even bigger impact to have Saturday games against Ark State and Troy.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

2. Default Re: Sun Belt key winnable OOC games

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You don't listen to any of their fans then.
    Very true, I do not listen to a single Troy fan.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    You forgot Ark St doesn’t do W’s in OOC
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think you're underestimating the attendance impact. We played Troy on Thursday in 2014 when they were doing poorly and at the end of the disastrous 2016 so it's not really fair to take those numbers at face value.

And you're forgetting here that the original point of this thread was looking at the conference as a whole and not one team. If you can get several teams to where they give you a boost of several thousand, that adds up.

And now that we are going to be looking at 1-2 weekday home games consistently (usually against the better teams in the league) I would say it makes an even bigger impact to have Saturday games against Ark State and Troy.
    I wasn't looking at one team, I simply said I was surprised by the Troy attendance numbers. I already said one was the end of a bad 2016, and didn't dive deep enough to notice that the other was a weeknight. So, Troy mystery solved. That wasn't my point, it as simply an aside that surprised me.

That doesn't change the fact that history has proven that attendance is not going to drastically change because of our conference opponents' records. If the numbers from several seasons in my post above weren't enough, I'll pull three specific examples: 2014 Idaho - attendance was 23,300 and they were 1-10 2015 NMSU attendance was 23,550 and they were 3-9 2016 ULM - attendance was 25,700 and they were 4-8. Our opponents inhale vigorouslyed, yet they were three of our higher attended games.

If WE are doing well, our fans show up regardless of who we are playing and how well they are doing. All this is conversation doing is just dancing around the fact that you think I should care what other teams in our conference are doing. Other than Gag St, I don't really care one way or the other. I want GagSt to lose every game they play! The others don't affect my mood one way or another except when they play us.

I'll say it again, I don't really care about Sun Belt pride and how well the conference as a whole does. I want Georgia Southern to win as much as humanly possible. When we continually win, we get the recognition and notoriety that I want, and will rise in the polls. Very few casual fans knew or cared what conference Boise was in when they were on their run. They knew Boise and saw them in the polls every week. How the MWC did was irrelevant.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I gotta tell y'all. I really don't care about our pecking order among the G5 conferences... it's like competing to be the world's tallest midget.

I really only care if GS shines. Makes no difference to me whether the conference is respected.

Everyone knows that Boise State is/was awesome. Nobody really cares whether the mountain west conference is any good.
    Well when you are the worst it is good to change that perception. Everyone knows who the best and worst are. I am tired of getting lumped in with FCS games when people make fun of others schedules.

you missed JDC's point.

I would say it's not critically important, but to say it matters little or not at all is just myopic.

IMO, above all I want perception to catch up to reality that there's no difference between the MAC, CUSA, and SBC anymore, especially among our own fans. How the fans perceive the conference as a whole will affect attendance.

That, and finishing third versus finishing last in the G5 conference ratings can be the equivalent of adding another money game.
    This when comparing us winning vs the rest of the conference of course us winning is a million times more important but to say how the rest of the conference is doing does not matter at all is very myopic especially when it comes to money.

you missed JDC's point.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Very true, I do not listen to a single Troy fan.
    They are getting a little over their skis with the confidence.

you missed JDC's point.

I wasn't looking at one team, I simply said I was surprised by the Troy attendance numbers. I already said one was the end of a bad 2016, and didn't dive deep enough to notice that the other was a weeknight. So, Troy mystery solved. That wasn't my point, it as simply an aside that surprised me.

That doesn't change the fact that history has proven that attendance is not going to drastically change because of our conference opponents' records. If the numbers from several seasons in my post above weren't enough, I'll pull three specific examples: 2014 Idaho - attendance was 23,300 and they were 1-10 2015 NMSU attendance was 23,550 and they were 3-9 2016 ULM - attendance was 25,700 and they were 4-8. Our opponents inhale vigorouslyed, yet they were three of our higher attended games.

If WE are doing well, our fans show up regardless of who we are playing and how well they are doing. All this is conversation doing is just dancing around the fact that you think I should care what other teams in our conference are doing. Other than Gag St, I don't really care one way or the other. I want GagSt to lose every game they play! The others don't affect my mood one way or another except when they play us.

I'll say it again, I don't really care about Sun Belt pride and how well the conference as a whole does. I want Georgia Southern to win as much as humanly possible. When we continually win, we get the recognition and notoriety that I want, and will rise in the polls. Very few casual fans knew or cared what conference Boise was in when they were on their run. They knew Boise and saw them in the polls every week. How the MWC did was irrelevant.
    I guess it depends on how you define "drastic". I'm not saying it'll be the difference in having Ball State at home and having Vanderbilt, but I think you underestimate the impact.

Here's the attendance numbers for 2010, BTW:
    Wofford: 21403
    SSU (home opener): 20430
    App State (rivalry): 20073
    Elon: 18302
    Samford: 15341

So when you take out the home opener and the arch rival you're talking an extra 5k over the SoCon teams that weren't conference powers. So far, the only time we have played App State, Ark State, or Troy at home on a Saturday was at the end of a miserable 2016, so to me there's no useful numbers in the last four seasons to draw on. If we start 2-1, I'm going to go ahead and say Ark State might bet he highest-attended game of the year.

Also, I'm not saying you need to have any sense of conference pride and you don't really have to care about how the conference does. I just don't see how anyone can say the conference doing better doesn't benefit our program. I wouldn't say we're dependent on it, but it helps.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I guess it depends on how you define "drastic". I'm not saying it'll be the difference in having Ball State at home and having Vanderbilt, but I think you underestimate the impact.

Here's the attendance numbers for 2010, BTW:
    Wofford: 21403
    SSU (home opener): 20430
    App State (rivalry): 20073
    Elon: 18302
    Samford: 15341

So when you take out the home opener and the arch rival you're talking an extra 5k over the SoCon teams that weren't conference powers. So far, the only time we have played App State, Ark State, or Troy at home on a Saturday was at the end of a miserable 2016, so to me there's no useful numbers in the last four seasons to draw on. If we start 2-1, I'm going to go ahead and say Ark State might bet he highest-attended game of the year.

Also, I'm not saying you need to have any sense of conference pride and you don't really have to care about how the conference does. I just don't see how anyone can say the conference doing better doesn't benefit our program. I wouldn't say we're dependent on it, but it helps.
    I didn't say it doesn't matter at all. I simply said I don't care how the other teams do. Why? Because, if we win like we are supposed to win the money, and hype, and recognition, and attendance, and everything that makes GS better will rise anyway regardless of what others do.

If we start 2-1 the next game will be one of the highest attended anyways regardless of whether it was Ark State or NMSU or FCS Citadel. We had 25,700 for freaking ULM the third game of the season in 2016 and they went 4-8. GS marketing hyped the crap out of it and made a big deal out of it to everyone all week about wanting to break the attendance record. If they are smart, they will do the exact same thing for that game if we start 2-1 after last year's debacle.

Sure, we may get a few more tickets sold for a good team. But the numbers prove that they don't have to be a good team for our fans to show up when we are winning.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

I didn't say it doesn't matter at all. I simply said I don't care how the other teams do. Why? Because, if we win like we are supposed to win the money, and hype, and recognition, and attendance, and everything that makes GS better will rise anyway regardless of what others do.

If we start 2-1 the next game will be one of the highest attended anyways regardless of whether it was Ark State or NMSU or FCS Citadel. We had 25,700 for freaking ULM the third game of the season in 2016 and they went 4-8. GS marketing hyped the crap out of it and made a big deal out of it to everyone all week about wanting to break the attendance record. If they are smart, they will do the exact same thing for that game if we start 2-1 after last year's debacle.

Sure, we may get a few more tickets sold for a good team. But the numbers prove that they don't have to be a good team for our fans to show up when we are winning.
    If we ever want to make the access bowl the Sun Belt as a whole has to be aton better. You are off saying what the other teams in the conference do does not matter or undervaluing it greatly as of today for sure. We improve to the point where the Sun Belt is not mentioned in the same breathe as a FCS game on the schedule then it will matter way way less but still matter.

you missed JDC's point.