TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Defensive Secondary needs a nickname

Default Re: Defensive Secondary needs a nickname

Let's call them "great taste, less filling"

I'd suggest none of the above. GS has NEVER had a defensive backfield that didn't get burnt by the long pass... it's always been our weakness. Let these guys prove me wrong and I'll name them myself.

3. Default Re: Defensive Secondary needs a nickname

I disagree on the previous comment, when Erk would motivate the team- he motivated during, before a fight. Let nicknames happen... it doesn't hurt and helps motivate!

4. Default Re: Defensive Secondary needs a nickname

Disgree..

Quote Originally Posted by outlandeagle View Post
    I disagree on the previous comment, when Erk would motivate the team- he motivated during, before a fight. Let nicknames happen... it doesn't hurt and helps motivate!
    I have to agree with Pike on this one. Nothing wrong with comming up with names and pitching it to the HC, but ultimately it will depend on the D backfields abilities or strenths to make a name for themselves.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I'd suggest none of the above. GS has NEVER had a defensive backfield that didn't get burnt by the long pass... it's always been our weakness. Let these guys prove me wrong and I'll name them myself.
    1999 was STOUT at limiting big plays through the air. Of course, we had two NFL corners, the most athletic FS we’ve ever had, and a monster pass rush that featured Von Allen, Freddie P., Eugene Phillips, and Jamar Jones.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    1999 was STOUT at limiting big plays through the air. Of course, we had two NFL corners, the most athletic FS we’ve ever had, and a monster pass rush that featured Von Allen, Freddie P., Eugene Phillips, and Jamar Jones.
    Ahhhh yes, the 1999 team!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    As an overall defense, yes they were stout... and we have had several strong guys in our secondary over the years, but even still... the 99 crew was susceptible to giving up the deep pass. Lots of things are forgiven when you beat the brakes off the other teams defense with a dominating running game.

I always found it interesting that we had several guys in the NFL out of our defensive secondary because that always seems to be our weakest link. Just tells me that it's an extremely hard position and requires more than just 1 or 2 great players... they rely on all 4 guys to make them look good and if 1 of them is "average", it's very easy to be exposed because often times they exist on an island.

If a Nickname is warranted it will just happen not decreed...
    "Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?... No, Who is with me?" Bluto

"We'll win one we should have lost, and lose one we should have won, surprise a OOC FBS opponent or two, win the SBC Championship and get our second bowl win" Me

10. Default Re: Defensive Secondary needs a nickname

Their nickname?
    How about just concentrating on improving these numbers: 108th in passing efficiency against, tied for 120th in passing touchdowns allowed, 113th in yards per attempt allowed.
    Get those numbers in the other direction, then worry about a **** nickname.