TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule changes?

Default Rule changes?

Hearing a bit belatedly about the new NFL rule about helmet contact:

It is a foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. Contact does not have to be to an opponent’s head or neck area – lowering the head and initiating contact to an opponent’s torso, hips, and lower body, is also a foul. Violations of the rule will be easier to see and officiate when they occur in open space – as opposed to close line play – but this rule applies anywhere on the field at any time

Sounds like it is overly vague, will be a nightmare to accurately enforce and will lead to some frustrating reactions to calls. It also sounds like it might fundamentally change the nature of the game.

Is there any corollary change at the college or HS level?

Resident officials please chime in.

2. Default Re: Rule changes?

It seems similar to the targeting rule.

Which is complete trash at the college level. It is applied completely randomly.

Default Re: Rule changes?

I think there was 3 calls in the HOF game. It's actually very simple - for 50-60? years people didn't lead with their heads. Now everyone is going for the big hit. Knock the ball loose or make them think next time. Which in turn is causing more injuries to both offense and defense and of course CTE.

As far as CFB no changes that I can recall as far as targeting. The big chance this year was being able to make a fair catch anywhere between the goal and 25 yard line, results in getting the ball at the 25. Plus the blocking rules make it mandatory there are so many players on each side of the field and so many feet apart. Also no more running head start, that is down to 1 yard vs the 5 before.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

4. Default Re: Rule changes?

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I think there was 3 calls in the HOF game. It's actually very simple - for 50-60? years people didn't lead with their heads. Now everyone is going for the big hit. Knock the ball loose or make them think next time. Which in turn is causing more injuries to both offense and defense and of course CTE.

As far as CFB no changes that I can recall as far as targeting. The big chance this year was being able to make a fair catch anywhere between the goal and 25 yard line, results in getting the ball at the 25. Plus the blocking rules make it mandatory there are so many players on each side of the field and so many feet apart. Also no more running head start, that is down to 1 yard vs the 5 before.

That blocking stuff sounds like a mess.

Anything to slow the pace of the game down more, I guess. And really, really be sure and give the refs something more to use against us when we play state. The officiating of that game is always crazy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    It seems similar to the targeting rule.

Which is complete trash at the college level. It is applied completely randomly.
    They already had a targeting rule, but this goes WAY further and makes contact anywhere on the body a penalty. That's happening in some form on virtually every play of every game at every level.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    So, like I said it's going to fundamentally change the nature of the game, in the reverse of how hard helmets and face masks did 60 years ago. If that's the goal, the better and more productive move would be to go back to soft helmets or no helmets, because that has worked fine in rugby.

I think the main difference between this and targeting is that this new NFL rule applies to both the offense and defense. So now if a RB lowers his head to create the contact he can get a penalty.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

We're headed toward the Garns rule. All hugging, no tackling

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I think the main difference between this and targeting is that this new NFL rule applies to both the offense and defense. So now if a RB lowers his head to create the contact he can get a penalty.
    Unless they enforce it much differently than it is worded, there's a lot more to it than that. How many tackles occur at the waist or below? Isn't that something that is taught as a fundamental football technique? How do you tackle someone at the waist or below without lowering your head? I know that technically they're trying to emphasize shoulder contact instead of helmet contact, but that too is almost impossible to require, because how can you tackle with your shoulder without helmet contact? As written, the only safe move is an arm tackle-something that is anathema to fundamental football technique. It just seems like a ham-handed measure in pursuit of a desirable goal (reducing head injuries). I guess we will just have to see see how they end up applying it, but it seems vague enough to be open to an awful lot of subjectivity and potential to penalize plays that are just 'football', not fouls.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    Need to test the waters for that one in the Lingerie League first.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfart View Post
    I suppose we could get use to NFLFF.(NFL Flag Football).