TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt SOS based off of CBS rankings

Default Re: Sun Belt SOS based off of CBS rankings

I love how people keep saying "we're in the SunBelt" and using that as a reason why we should automatically win 7 games...

Newsflash... we're not a displaced SEC team playing in the SunBelt (we're not even an AAC team). WE ARE A SunBelt team...with a ****ty athletic budget at that.

Do we have a great history? Sure. Do we have a nice campus and decent FB facilities. Sure? Good recruiting base? Sure. But we're still a Sun Belt level program competing against folks on a pretty much level playing field.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 10th August 2018 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I love how people keep saying "we're in the SunBelt" and using that as a reason why we should automatically win 7 games...

Newsflash... we're not a displaced SEC team playing in the SunBelt (we're not even an AAC team). WE ARE A SunBelt team...with a ****ty athletic budget at that.

Do we have a great history? Sure. Do we have a nice campus and decent FB facilities. Sure? Good recruiting base? Sure. But we're still a Sun Belt level program competing against folks on a pretty much level playing field.
    Don't let the truth get in the way of a thread here. Don't get me wrong, we CAN and SHOULD win a lot here. We have a lot of positives in our favor. But a lot of posters feel that all we have to do is walk out in our uniforms and 3/4's of the conference will just lay down in the fetal position and soil themselves because we are the mighty, mighty GS.

Should we win a lot, yes. Do I expect to win a lot, Yes. Am I going to jump off a bridge if don't, not quite.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Ark State has had 1 losing season in the last 10 years through lots of coaching changes.
    App State has won 7+ games 4 seasons in a row and will make it 5 this season.

Zero reason we shouldn't also be able to do that.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Ark State has had 1 losing season in the last 10 years through lots of coaching changes.
    App State has won 7+ games 4 seasons in a row and will make it 5 this season.

Zero reason we shouldn't also be able to do that.
    No one is saying that we shouldn't be able to do that too. But what I am saying at least, is that we already know what can happen with constant coaching turnover. I'm not willing to throw out an otherwise promising coach just because he doesn't win 8 games one time. There are too many other variables to take into account to put an arbitrary minimum number of wins or he' fired.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No one is saying that we shouldn't be able to do that too. But what I am saying at least, is that we already know what can happen with constant coaching turnover. I'm not willing to throw out an otherwise promising coach just because he doesn't win 8 games one time. There are too many other variables to take into account to put an arbitrary minimum number of wins or he' fired.
    I don't think anyone (unless JDC IS actually saying this) would seriously demand a coach's firing after ONE 6-win season, but I think most would agree that the very real and reasonable expectation is that this program given our advantages and the level of conference competition should regularly exceed 7 wins and average at least 7 over the long term (as clearly implied in our contract terms) and consecutive sub-7 win seasons should be unacceptable to the point of potential firing in the absence of extraordinary circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    I don't think anyone (unless JDC IS actually saying this) would seriously demand a coach's firing after ONE 6-win season, but I think most would agree that the very real and reasonable expectation is that this program given our advantages and the level of conference competition should regularly exceed 7 wins and average at least 7 over the long term (as clearly implied in our contract terms) and consecutive sub-7 win seasons should be unacceptable to the point of potential firing in the absence of extraordinary circumstances.
    You have been on this board long enough and seen enough of our "fans" social media presence to know that there would absolutely be a group calling for a firing after ONE season. Did you forget what happened during and after season 1 of CTS?

I haven't said we should not expect to win at a reasonably high level, But I hate any absolutes like a minimum or the use of the word never.

7. Default Re: Sun Belt SOS based off of CBS rankings

I am one of those people, so I am glad to hear that you love it. 70% of the SunBelt has a triple digit national ranking right now, 50% was playing in FCS just 7 years ago, 20% did not even have a football program just 10 years ago, my HS has a higher athletic budget then ULM and since joining FBS our average recruiting class conference ranking is 2 (1 if you take out TS's class last year). So, yes, just 7 wins total as a member of the SunBelt should be a down year for GS, every year, JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I am one of those people, so I am glad to hear that you love it. 70% of the SunBelt has a triple digit ranking right now, 50% was playing in FCS just 7 years ago, 20% did not even have a football program just 10 years ago, my HS has a higher athletic budget then ULM and since joining FBS our average recruiting class conference ranking is 2 (1 if you take out TS's class last year). So, yes, just 7 wins total as a member of the SunBelt should be a down year for GS, every year, IMHO.
    Yep

I don't need to put words in you mouth when they are quoted in this thread multiple times. You said "at a minimum" that if he didn't win 8 games that he should fire himself because he's in the wrong profession. So now after you've been called out about it, we are supposed to take your quote and assume that you meant after several years of not reaching that minimum is when he should fire himself? See here's the problem with that...minimum by definition means "the least or smallest amount or quantity possible, attainable, or required". So if you really believed your minimum (that you yourself bolded) was a real minimum then you would also be saying that ONE 7 (7 is under your minimum of 8) win season would not only be grounds for firing, but would be so embarrassing that he should fire himself and leave the profession.

And there you go back to talking about a 10 year old argument because you're losing the current one. Talk about a broken record.
    It is not ten years old as you were on the Baker is awesome and the Sun Belch inhales vigorously and CUSA is awesome train until the end just five years ago. You were just one of many that were dead wrong about a move up to the Belt, hid in your FCS zealot holes like so many did is shame and still do like Walt, you are just on of the few that have popped their heads back out to occasionally remind how wrong you can be all over again. Just admit is and move on. Again I never said ONE 7 win season and a coach should be fired. Obviously taking a dumpster fire is extenuating circumstances. Given normal circumstances like year two for CCL if you cant beat teams that have to recruit the entire south vs just down the street you should fire yourself. Winning 8 games with a and FCS and only one P5 is a low standard. It is like you cant stand for standards to be high, you must not get a lot of performance bonuses at work or something.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

You have been on this board long enough and seen enough of our "fans" social media presence to know that there would absolutely be a group calling for a firing after ONE season. Did you forget what happened during and after season 1 of CTS?

I haven't said we should not expect to win at a reasonably high level, But I hate any absolutes like a minimum or the use of the word never.
    Like you should have never opened your mouth about moving up to the FBS?
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.