TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: News About Hanner???

Default Re: News About Hanner???

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Hanner is wholly inadequate for open house events and graduations
    So graduation is what, twice a year and the winter one is held at Hanner. What is the rain contingency for the spring graduation? Serious non troll question - what type of open house events are being held currently on campus that require 8K or 10k? How often?

Wonder if it's feasible to do what they do for United matches? Put curtains on the top level and keep it closed and pack in the lower bowl?
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Can the footprint of Hanner be increased? Saying, if we blow out a wall or 2, could we move everything out for increased square footage? If yes, we combine with a new roof and it's possible we basically have a new facility.

Also, if we renovate Hanner, do we play at Armstrong during that time? Makes sense to me... put GS branding in place and have a second facility to host games in Savannah.
    Last edited by Pike51; 10th August 2018 at 10:15 AM.

3. Default Re: News About Hanner???

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    Can the footprint of Hanner be increased? Saying, if we blow out a wall or 2, could we move everything out for increased square footage? If yes, we combine with a new roof and it's possible we basically have a new facility.

Also, if we renovate Hanner, do we play at Armstrong during that time? Makes sense to me... put GS branding in place and have a second facility to host games in Savannah.
    They'll most likely start renovating next spring after basketball ends, but I could see them moving some games to Armstrong the following season if construction isn't done in time. Armstrong's gym is bigger than Hanner anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    They'll most likely start renovating next spring after basketball ends, but I could see them moving some games to Armstrong the following season if construction isn't done in time. Armstrong's gym is bigger than Hanner anyways.
    And it looks like a high school gym on weak steroids.

5. Default Re: News About Hanner???

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    And it looks like a high school gym on weak steroids.
    As does Hanner.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    As does Hanner.
    Every seat they have is pull out bleachers.

7. Default Re: News About Hanner???

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Every seat they have is pull out bleachers.
    Yeah, I agree, it is bad, and it is definitely worse then Hanner... but that does not change the fact that Hanner looks like a HS gym on weak steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by AEKDB/Eagle View Post
    For what I have heard, TKs vision has been to create a more modern yet embrace the “Historic” feel of Hanner. I think is smart. We don’t have the money to build a 8k arena. We don’t attract the ground to fill a 8k arena.

So pivot, make Hanner feel like Fenway. Get 4K there and make feel like 20k.

Look savannah’s Grayson stadium. It’s a dump, but historic dump. Put a great product on the court and people will show up.
    I heard about this about about a year ago. From a basketball program prospective, TK made a very good decision and
    Coach is on board because he knows the home court advantage Hanner gives us. CB loves the feel of Hanner on game day. I was told at that time it would be a major update/upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    What events? The city or county already built that rodeo or whatever it's for, or is in process right? What bands are going to play in a college town that they can't do in the local bars? Anyone who can draw 5K-10K will be playing in Jacksonville or Atlanta.
    If you can seat 8K-10K in a college town with 20,000+ students and over 100K folks within a 30 minute drive, you can get some pretty decent bands to show.

“If” we were to renovate Hanner (roof and other areas), it would require a pretty lengthy process right?

They’ve been renovating Philips Arena in Atlanta and that’s taken the better part of two off-seasons. Plus, they had a $192.5 million at their disposal and far more crews working around the clock. It sounds like our teams would need to play in Savannah at our other campus or the Civic Center.

I do feel like it’s the most prudent and fiscally responsible thing to do (renovations). I would hope that, if that route is chosen, other areas would get a major facelift too!

* Roof
    * Improved seating (again, and more of it)
    * F&B areas
    * Concourses
    * Locker Rooms
    * Sound System ( maybe that’s good already?)
    * What else?