TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: News About Hanner???

Default Re: News About Hanner???

Any of you remodel your bathroom or kitchen lately? Happy with the results? Did you tear down the entire house just to put in that new shower or granite countertops? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Have never been to a BB game there, but if Hanner can comfortably and safely seat 3-5k and look good doing it, I'd say the reno money earmarked for these projects is money well spent. Save the big bucks for bigger, higher payback projects.

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Hanner is very soundly constructed. It would be a waste to tear it down IMHO. You could do a LOT of fancy improvement for a fraction of the price of a replacement.
    I'm always amazed at how apparently seldom this option is considered. Both in the public and private sector, the costs associated with demolition, starting from scratch, and rebuilding foundation and structural shell elements that are fully functional are substantial and would seem worth saving.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post
    Any of you remodel your bathroom or kitchen lately? Happy with the results? Did you tear down the entire house just to put in that new shower or granite countertops? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Have never been to a BB game there, but if Hanner can comfortably and safely seat 3-5k and look good doing it, I'd say the reno money earmarked for these projects is money well spent. Save the big bucks for bigger, higher payback projects.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by eagle#58 View Post

Exactly. We even repainted the whole thing AND replaced some flooring. Still decided to leave the structure standing. We're crazy kids.,
    People never grow up. They just learn how to act in public.

The artist formerly known as gsu_paintballer.

As long as we keep that robust 1,201- 2712 attendance average in place we will be OK in Hanner.

Building a new arena is not about basketball and all of us know it.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

7. Default Re: News About Hanner???

To bring Hanner into the 21st Century, I'd rip off the roof and build a new, taller dome shape over it, one that can support and be tall enough for a video board to hang from the center. Then, I'd bust into the walls behind the goals and build club seating nooks inside of them kind of like how Georgia State currently has but nicer looking. Then, I'd knock out the four corners in the upper level and connect the upper level sections with corner seating so that it all makes one big ring. Then I'd put video boards up over the metal rails on the walk ways behind the goals to cover those up and upgrade the lighting in the new roof.

I think opening up the inside and adding video boards above and around the court would improve gameday atmosphere 10 fold. I think the students and fans don't get as into the games as much as they could because it's so closed in and you get self conscious when you feel like everyone can see you.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle27 View Post
    Rather we can fill a new arena or not for basketball. There are other events that could be held in an arena that would benefit the university as a whole.

I believe we have no intentions of ever tearing Hanner down, so any upgrades aren’t a waste. Could potentially become a volley ball arena, etc.
    What events? The city or county already built that rodeo or whatever it's for, or is in process right? What bands are going to play in a college town that they can't do in the local bars? Anyone who can draw 5K-10K will be playing in Jacksonville or Atlanta.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

9. Default Re: News About Hanner???

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    What events? The city or county already built that rodeo or whatever it's for, or is in process right? What bands are going to play in a college town that they can't do in the local bars? Anyone who can draw 5K-10K will be playing in Jacksonville or Atlanta.
    Hanner is wholly inadequate for open house events and graduations

Troy built a 8k arena for 40 million in 2012.
    App State built an 8k arena in 2000 for $40 million adjusted for inflation.
    State has an 8k arena in the works, too, though it will cost a good bit more because it's in Atlanta.

You just can't apply football logic to basketball. People think that because our average attendance is 1.8k that the largest crowds are around 2.3k, but that's not true. Hanner is getting snug for our most well-attended games. Plus, we me might have a chicken-and-egg problem if you're going to wait until we're averaging 3k before we ge t a new arena.

Also: Basketball. Arenas. Aren't. Just. About. Basketball.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.