TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Default Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ence-foes-2018

Georgia Southern

"They needed to make the coaching change and bring back the culture associated with that program. They’ve got a more positive outlook with the new staff."

"Last year was a total loss for them but now they’ve got more experience coming back than almost anyone in the league."

"They always have talent, can always recruit to fit their scheme. It wasn’t the players or the option. They had a culture issue."
    "Once and Eagle Always and Eagle"
    Valley, Alabama
    Fan of Erk since the 70's, Eagle Scout 1978, Georgia Southern Fan since 2009

Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Phil Steele and 247 and the anonymous coaches in these Athlon things forgot to consult the experts here that say we're not talented.

"They always have talent." "They had a culture issue." That right there says it all.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th August 2018 at 02:40 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Phil Steele and 247 and the anonymous coaches in these Athlon things forgot to consult the experts here that say we're not talented.

"They always have talent." "They had a culture issue." That right there says it all.
    I don't think anyone has argued that there is little talent on the roster. I think everyone agrees we didn't have 2 win talent last year. What a lot of people don't agree with is that we have 10 win talent, which is a reasonable expectation of where the program should be, seeing as how the first two seasons in FBS went for us as well as App State's success has shown is possible.

The vast majority of the problem was coaching and culture, I agree. However, I don't think Willie Fritz would be winning 10+ games with the roster we have now. The players Fritz recruited and left for Summers were inferior to the players Monken left for Fritz, and Fritz could "only" win 9 games a year with the Monken players.

Quote Originally Posted by GaSouFan6 View Post
    The players Fritz recruited and left for Summers were inferior to the players Monken left for Fritz, and Fritz could "only" win 9 games a year with the Monken players.
    I think we're better than we were in 2014 at every position except linebacker, receiver, and QB is a TBD. We could easily have a 10 win roster next season depending on how certain positions and young players turn out.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

5. Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

I don't think anyone has argued that there is little talent on the roster. I think everyone agrees we didn't have 2 win talent last year. What a lot of people don't agree with is that we have 10 win talent, which is a reasonable expectation of where the program should be, seeing as how the first two seasons in FBS went for us as well as App State's success has shown is possible.

The vast majority of the problem was coaching and culture, I agree. However, I don't think Willie Fritz would be winning 10+ games with the roster we have now. The players Fritz recruited and left for Summers were inferior to the players Monken left for Fritz, and Fritz could "only" win 9 games a year with the Monken players.
    I think that is exactly right. I was told by more than one of our current coaches that we are 1 and maybe 2 classes away and that speed and quickness is the glaring weakness in some areas. Depth will be an issue and several of the new guys will play a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I think that is exactly right. I was told by more than one of our current coaches that we are 1 and maybe 2 classes away and that speed and quickness is the glaring weakness in some areas. Depth will be an issue and several of the new guys will play a lot.
    I have noticed that you are always saying “I was told“ when relaying information. That does not seem to be a valid source to me. If you have a credible source and can quote it, by all means give us the information. If you can’t, I personally would prefer you just keep it to yourself. Even if that’s what you were told, context can make a big difference in the interpretation. We get no context from “I was told”.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    I have noticed that you are always saying “I was told“ when relaying information. That does not seem to be a valid source to me. If you have a credible source and can quote it, by all means give us the information. If you can’t, I personally would prefer you just keep it to yourself. Even if that’s what you were told, context can make a big difference in the interpretation. We get no context from “I was told”.
    While I agree that sometimes such oblique references to 'inside sources' or people 'in the know' can be frustrating, it's a pretty widely understood maxim that people who share such information, especially current coaching staff members, don't divulge such information expecting to be quoted by name, or else they wouldn't be sharing such info. And 'told by more than one of our current coaches' is a pretty direct attribution. It's at least a step above 'I think', which is what he's making a counterpoint to. At the end of the day, we can either take him at his word, or choose to believe he's lying, which is the only other option, in which case we can dispute his claim based on better info, or discount his observation accordingly. This isn't journalism, it's a message board, and the vast majority of information shared, other than raw data, is nothing but subjective opinion with no 'source' other than the poster.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    While I agree that sometimes such oblique references to 'inside sources' or people 'in the know' can be frustrating, it's a pretty widely understood maxim that people who share such information, especially current coaching staff members, don't divulge such information expecting to be quoted by name, or else they wouldn't be sharing such info. And 'told by more than one of our current coaches' is a pretty direct attribution. It's at least a step above 'I think', which is what he's making a counterpoint to. At the end of the day, we can either take him at his word, or choose to believe he's lying, which is the only other option, in which case we can dispute his claim based on better info, or discount his observation accordingly. This isn't journalism, it's a message board, and the vast majority of information shared, other than raw data, is nothing but subjective opinion with no 'source' other than the poster.
    I agree. My comment comes off a bit snarky. Shouldn’t have posted it.

9. Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSanders View Post
    Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways. I will try to do better.

The 2016 team was a combination of Fritz and Monken but there probably hasn’t ever been a better roster in the history of our program. So no, the players Fritz left for Summers were NOT inferior to what Monken left for Fritz. The difference is Fritz didn’t completely anihilate that roster. Fritz called Monken and built off what he had. Summers came in and changed the culture and “taught” all conference players how to practice.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.