TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes, but Fritz had an FBS schedule, more Power 5 opponents, many more weekday games/short weeks, longer road trips, and a smaller percentage of home games.
    Correct. Monken was Coaching against non scholly St. Agnes. Fritz was going toe to toe with FBS opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Yes, but Fritz had an FBS schedule, more Power 5 opponents, many more weekday games/short weeks, longer road trips, and a smaller percentage of home games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Correct. Monken was Coaching against non scholly St. Agnes. Fritz was going toe to toe with FBS opponents.
    All valid points, it just means that the appropriate argument should go "Fritz did as well as Monken in spite of A., B., C., etc. . . . "

I know, I'm splitting hairs.

Also, Monken went 1-3 vs P5's, while Fritz went 0-5 vs P5's. Weekday opponents always play on the same weekday we do. Does that % of home games include playoffs? And one thing in Monken's defense, playoffs ensure that every team but one ends the season with an extra loss by default.

I know, I'm just playing devil's advocate.

Seriously, if I had to pick between the two, I'd probably pick Fritz.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Sounds like you think Monken is a better recruiter (which is something I already conceded)...so ughhhh...thanks for agreeing?

You've provided no other suggestions as to why you think Monken is "better"

Couldn't be from comparing their tenures at GS, because Fritz got better results in a more difficult league out of Monkens players.

Put Jeff Monken as SHSU and he doesn't get to the national title game twice in 4 years. I can do this all day..

There's really no argument. Fritz is clear cut better. I humor you out of boredom.
    Honestly, I think if you look at both tenures it's really splitting hairs. And most of the time I agree with Buzz however, I give a slight edge to Monken. Buzz is right that Fritz got better results in a tougher league, However, if Moken would have stayed I argue we'd have similar or better results, which I understand is clearly subjective. The team was on an incredible trajectory at that point, trending extremely upward. Fritz did an amazing job of not screwing it up, which ain't as easy as some of you may think. That being said all the successes that Fritz had here are directly attributed to Monkens hard work. To just say Fritz did a better job than Monken is really subjective because Monken wasn't here, but I think if Monken was, he would've continued the upward path. I don't think we would've lost to NCST if Moken was the Head coach.

Monken had the signature win Fritz never had! Sure Fritz had us in great positions to win 3 big time games for the program, but when the pressure was on he seemed to flatten out. In all three games against NCST, GT, and UGA there were key moments when we just made the wrong decision and that cost us the ball game. You've got to give credit where credit is due, Monken beat Florida which many on here have said is the programs biggest win.

Your other point about putting Monken at SHSU is kinda of irrelevant, but I'll do my best to dispute it. While Fritz did take his team to the National title game twice, wasn't it NDSU that beat them both times handly on a neutral site. In 2011 we lost to the Bison in the Fargo Dome by three points. The Bison the next week crushed Fritz's SHSU team 39-13. So yes Fritz took his team to the national title but they couldn't hang with the Bison on a neutral field and honestly, don't think they could've hung with us either. Now we never got to see a Monken vs Fritz matchup but my money would've been on the Eagles that year.

My last point is how each coach left the program. Monken left the program in an incredible place and certainly bullish. Fritz left the program with a 7-34 loss to Georgia State. I'm not going to argue that Fritz was a bad coach. He was a really good coach, but he did leave the program in disarray. Now I'm not solely placing that on Fritz but he does share the responsibility plus he freaken got his @** waxed by Georgia State. For that, I give the edge to Monken!
    Go Eagles!!

4. Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Fun Fact: Fritz (2nd year) beat Monken (4th year) head to head in a real live college football game. Their were referees, cameras, spectators, announcers, refreshments and everything.

Monken is a very good coach and the better recruiter, but IMO 90% of anyone that thinks he is an overall better HC then Fritz is just a flexboner that wants to believe that to support a flex agenda. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Buzz is right that Fritz got better results . . .

I . . . . . . never mind.

I'm convinced everyone has put me on 'ignore' at this point.

The win over a VERY down Florida team is REALLY schewing views on Monken.

He left on the "high note" of beating a **** UF team, but he also gave Fritz a 4-4 SOCON team.

Was the program in good shape? Yeah...but it's not like they steamrolled FCS the year before the jump. There is a reason we were picked to finish 8th in the SunBelt in 2014. The overall 2013 results were part of that.

7. Default Re: Sun Belt Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2018

Monken was the right coach at the right time. So was Fritz, so whether or not one is better than the other is a moot point to me. Who's to say if Fritz would entertain even coming here had Monken not turned it around? They both made a positive contribution to our storied program and I wouldn't change a thing. Fritz gave us a taste of success from a different version of the option than we were familiar with. The "problem" with flex option to me is the type of blocking scheme, in addition to PJ being the modern day godfather of that scheme which lead to a large coaching tree and a one dimensional view of the TO. The zone blocking scheme allowed for some of the biggest blockers that I've ever seen grace the field at Paulson. I miss comments from people like Mark Richt saying that we had some of the biggest and most physical linemen that's he's coached against. Let's get back to that! I've seen like 4 or 5 different variations of the option. Of all those versions, Georgia Southern is the only school I know that can recruit serious talent, more so than Navy, Army, Air Force, GT... Fritz and DeBesse execute a version of the TO that is more evolved and takes it to the next level. I know it's too early, but the ingredients are there for some magic to happen. After 2 years, it's about time!

Itís hard to compare Monkenís first four years as a head coach against Fritzís years 20-21 or so.

Both of them were good coaches for us. I donít think Fritz did anything at GS that Monken couldnít (or wouldnít) have done.

I did feel like our talent was playing with a hand behind its back at times during Monkenís tenure.
    Green Bastard
    Parts Unknown

I lost a lot of respect for how Fritz departed the program with his disaster against GA State and the bull**** that went on with his family. Jeff Monken is a class act and by the time he has 20 years as a HC West Point will probably have a statue of him. 2013 was an odd year being ineligible for the playoffs. App State was 4-8 that year also. Coincidence?

This thread is so stupid. Fritz and Monken either way are the third and fourth best coaches in program history and we werelucky enough to have them back to back. I donít get this need to downplay everything Fritz accomplished.

As for the OP, these comments say a lot, the fact Shai Wertz retweeted them says more.