TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Basketball Preseason Preview

Default GS Basketball Preseason Preview

Been seeing a lot of preseason info on our basketball team coming out of the school and other outlets. We are generally picked as a top 4 team but not the top one which we could easily be.

Coach was interviewed in one article and he said this is the most athletic team he’s had at GS. We’ve got a ton of length all over the floor and especially in the post with depth down low. I will say this team on paper looks like a legitimate mid major team. I like the schedule this year and I think everyone would agree in and out of the team that 20 plus wins should happen if we are healthy and a legit shot at the NCAA tourney is attainable.

Coach seems to like the freshman class he’s brought in. It appears one or two will play. Also talks highly of the JUCO bigs. I think everyone is anxious to see how Simeon Carter does after having to sit out last year. Rumblings out of practice were he was a very good post player and can do a lot down low.

The focus offensively will be on Ike and Tookie but I think everything will hinge on a couple of other guys who step up and score the basketball when one or both of those guys aren’t on the floor for whatever reason.

Default Re: GS Basketball Preseason Preview

If one of the two freshman guards who I'm told can flat out shoot, can avg. 40-48% from "3", we will be +5 on season. With Glenn at 5 and the new forwards, we should rebound like crazy, IE, GET IT OUT and RUN like our pants are on fire! SHOWTIME.

“On paper” we look talented and deep and poised to make a run at the NCAAs. Every team every year has to gel and define roles and find how to best play together and the coaches have to learn them and how best to utilize the talent. I hope we don’t take too long to gel and hit the ground running (pun intended).

I hope the results show that we’ve maximized our talent. If so, we will be in the SBC Championship Game playing for a spot in the tourney.

This should be our year. Tookie will have a special season after being told by the nba guys that he wasn't ready. Tookie, Ike, Jackson, Glenn and Carter will be a strong starting 5. I really like the new guys that CB has brought in and they should give us quality minutes coming off the bench. They will be ready to contribute right away and push the vets for playing time. This group includes a baller, a defender, shooter and a all around role player. I see 2 stars and a solid all around role player coming out of this class by the time their four years a done. This will be the best team we have had in a long time.

I predict, that most of our difficulties this year will be trying to figure out that screwy new scheduling thing the SB has adopted
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

“IF” Crawford can move his feet well and stay on the ground, while attempting to block shots, and avoid foul trouble ...... people are gonna love him. He’s made a lot of progress since the first day he stepped on campus.

Crawley is a walking highlight-reel and I honestly cannot wait to see him out on the wing on the fast break with The Tookie Monster leading ......

Viti has a stroke that’s a thing of beauty and will bring a tear to ole Garns’ eye as he gets hot from time to time. He may not play a lot early on but can flat-out stroke it!

First game is an exhibition on Tuesday October 30th at 7:00PM in Hanner Fieldhouse.

https://gseagles.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1235

8. Default Re: GS Basketball Preseason Preview

When is basketball Fan Fest scheduled?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle95 View Post
    “IF” Crawford can move his feet well and stay on the ground, while attempting to block shots, and avoid foul trouble ...... people are gonna love him. He’s made a lot of progress since the first day he stepped on campus.

Crawley is a walking highlight-reel and I honestly cannot wait to see him out on the wing on the fast break with The Tookie Monster leading ......

Viti has a stroke that’s a thing of beauty and will bring a tear to ole Garns’ eye as he gets hot from time to time. He may not play a lot early on but can flat-out stroke it!
    Either a tear in my eye or I'll wet my pants. If one of these two shooting guards can average 40+% from three, you can add 3-5 more wins this season than last.

10. Default Re: GS Basketball Preseason Preview

It's all predicated on defense.