TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Mexico State Score Prediction

Default Re: New Mexico State Score Prediction

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    There needs to be more of a realization of this across our fanbase. We've scored a whopping zero points on our six offensive drives to start our six games. The first drive is always scripted- then the rest of the game is determined off of how the defense looks against the first series.
    We all understand that, but what happens when we actually play a good team and we are down 21-0 after our first 3 series? We are depending on our defense to make stops every time and so far it has worked bc we haven't played anyone yet. Not taking anything away from our defense, they are doing an amazing job and are killing it, but we need our offense to help them out in the first half at some point.
    Brian Brennan
    1995 BBA Finance
    Eagle fan since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    There needs to be more of a realization of this across our fanbase. We've scored a whopping zero points on our six offensive drives to start our six games. The first drive is always scripted- then the rest of the game is determined off of how the defense looks against the first series.
    Is it DeBesse’s philosophy that he’s willing to essentially forego aggressively trying to score on potentially our first 2-3 possessions in favor of what is essentially a sort of limited ‘rope-a-dope’ approach that would presumably enhance our scoring chances on subsequent possessions?

If so, it seems pretty risky since we stand to go down by a score or two before we really start ‘trying’ to score. Is it a reasonable trade off? Do we increase our subsequent scoring success enough to offset basically giving the opponent a head start? I mean, we’re basically surrendering the first quarter in the hope of kicking in the turbo for the rest of the game.

Of course, we ARE 5-1, but against a fast starting team it would seem like a big gamble.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

28-13 NMSU WINS. We stink again. 9700 fans and 4200 illegals hiding out in attendance

I say we win, but it's another close, ugly one GS 22 NMSU 17.

31-14 GS

Speedy has his “I have arrived” game

and
    we probably only play him in limited amounts the rest of the season
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Is it DeBesse’s philosophy that he’s willing to essentially forego aggressively trying to score on potentially our first 2-3 possessions in favor of what is essentially a sort of limited ‘rope-a-dope’ approach that would presumably enhance our scoring chances on subsequent possessions?

If so, it seems pretty risky since we stand to go down by a score or two before we really start ‘trying’ to score. Is it a reasonable trade off? Do we increase our subsequent scoring success enough to offset basically giving the opponent a head start? I mean, we’re basically surrendering the first quarter in the hope of kicking in the turbo for the rest of the game.

Of course, we ARE 5-1, but against a fast starting team it would seem like a big gamble.
    We did the same thing in the flex. Every option offense starts out with their first drive or 2 scripted so they can find out what works and what looks they're gonna see.

Execution early in the game makes a big difference.

The theory DeBesse and the offense isn't that concerned about scoring on our first series IMO is off the wall. Of course we want to score, heck we want to score every possession. Bottom line, at this stage in our offensive development we just arnt that good, average blocking, average speed, average wideouts. Tuff monster tends to trip up our RB's on most inside runs etc. This year looks like the year of the defense. Regarding do we play anybody "good", well, in reality, no. The only "good" team remaining on our schedule is Appy. We may(and "may" is the key word), play a decent team in our bowl game. What we are doing in facing less than stellar FBS football teams seems to be working(5-1, 3-0). Limit our turnovers, play disciplined football, great defense and score just enough, we should finish out pretty well. We will be heavy underdogs to Appy. BUT it's a rivalry game so anything goes. But, I'm no longer thinking that all of a sudden our offense is going to "light it up". Now BillyBob will scold me on this but offensively we are missing a few peaces of the puzzle(talent), i.e. O-line, RB, WR. Another guy here, another guy there and I think we become more of a dynamic offense.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We did the same thing in the flex. Every option offense starts out with their first drive or 2 scripted so they can find out what works and what looks they're gonna see.

Execution early in the game makes a big difference.
    Not to mention we don't have any real film of how these defenses are going to play us so it's even more likely in year one that the 1st drive is "well how are they going to defend our base offense and let's go from there."

I would like to see some points on opening drives though. That would be nice. We get a pass in the TXST game though since our first drive started on like 2 or 3 yard line.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    31-14 GS

Speedy has his “I have arrived” game

and
    we probably only play him in limited amounts the rest of the season
    Would LOVE to see a "I have arrived" game. It could be one of those "missing pieces" I was talking about.

How many times has NMSU seen DeBesse’s offense?

I know they played in 2016 and 2017. It seems like they played SHSU way back when, also.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops