TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If we get ranked.....

1. Default Re: If we get ranked.....

Quote Originally Posted by AceEagle View Post
    The CFP rankings is a joke, they only care about P5 schools. They ranked a 3 loss Iowa State team over a one loss G5 school (Utah State).

My question is why would we create a committee that will be prone to bias and human error when we could’ve kept the BCS and use those teams to determine the playoff teams?
    Because the BCS might accidentally let a G5 team in.

Default Re: If we get ranked.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave. View Post

A football fan's dozen.
    Those double yolks make me lose my appetite.

Quote Originally Posted by AceEagle View Post
    The CFP rankings is a joke, they only care about P5 schools. They ranked a 3 loss Iowa State team over a one loss G5 school (Utah State).

My question is why would we create a committee that will be prone to bias and human error when we could’ve kept the BCS and use those teams to determine the playoff teams?
    The whole CFP will be scrapped sooner rather than later once schools start bribing those who are making the decisions. It needs to be a computer-based formula to remove human bias.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    The whole CFP will be scrapped sooner rather than later once schools start bribing those who are making the decisions. It needs to be a computer-based formula to remove human bias.
    There needs to be a transparent process as to exactly how decisions are made.

I like having people to make objective, fact based arguments as part of the process because the computers aren't always right either. Part of the issue with the BCS was not knowing how all of the computers arrived at their ranking. Having insight into the algorithm would have cleared things up.

The problem is, we don't know what happens in the room. All we hear is what the spokesperson lets us hear.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

I like having people to make objective, fact based arguments as part of the process because the computers aren't always right either. Part of the issue with the BCS was not knowing how all of the computers arrived at their ranking. Having insight into the algorithm would have cleared things up.

The problem is, we don't know what happens in the room. All we hear is what the spokesperson lets us hear.
    What's even worse is that almost every individual in that room has preset bias towards a certain school(s) because of their affiliation. I get that they are recused from the vote but that doesn't recuse them from voting on the other 24 spots which are influenced by that school(s) that they don't vote for.

Complete joke.

6. Default Re: If we get ranked.....

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post

The BCS algorithm wouldn't change much. 2008 Boise State was 12-0 and the BCS never put them past #9. But I do agree that it's not exactly a great idea to have a select few people with obvious bias selecting who should be ranked where. The only way to make that fair would be to have a representative from each conference, rather than an individual few schools.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    Computer algorithms are nothing but a sequential set of instructions involving arithmetic and logic operations that are followed to the letter even in contexts where they don't make sense. Computers don't have bias, but they don't think either. The idea that we can simply feed data to a computer and it will take care of everything is part of how you end up with a crisis of reproducibility and p-hacking in some scientific disciplines. Data and statistics are important, but they've got to be critically and carefully interpreted.

In the S&P App's defense is 30 places above ours, yet the scoring defenses are only off by a few tenths of a point with us probably playing tougher offenses overall than them. I trust my eyes and scoring defense numbers more than the S&P and it's hard to chalk up the scoring defense to luck when we're 8 games in. You can come up with a robust system that accounts for a lot of different things, but there will be teams that are better or worse than the models say because of their individual style.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

I'm trying not to think about rankings or anything else like that. I just want to enjoy what this season has become.
    At the beginning of the year, most were saying that 6-6 (or worse) was probable, and that if we somehow managed to get to 7-5 it would be almost miraculous.
    Well, we are 7-1 with the only loss coming to the #2 team in the nation. At this point, it's all just gravy.
    We are right where we should be every single year -- bowl eligible and in contention for the conference championship.
    If we win out, I think the ranking will probably come. If we lose another, probably no chance of getting ranked. Either way, this season has already exceeded expectations and I am thrilled to see how far this group of players and coaches can go.
    We had plain white pants, we had plain navy-blue shirts, a number on the front and a number on the back. We couldn't even put a stripe down the middle of our helmets. We used a strip of tape. ... Those kind of things screamed, 'TEAM!' - Erk Russell

Would be nice if the G5 decided to have a championship bracket of their own and let the P5 worry about themselves.
    HAIL SOUTHERN

Quote Originally Posted by EaglePhan View Post
    Would be nice if the G5 decided to have a championship bracket of their own and let the P5 worry about themselves.
    ive been saying this for 5 years, a G5 NC game will come long before they expand the P5 playoff. There definitely needs to be a G5 playoff just like the P5 playoff. IMO.