TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: If we get ranked.....

Default Re: If we get ranked.....

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    This. We’d essentially be making a new 1-AA. While that might have worked the first time in the early 80’s when the first split happened, there’s no way it could work now.
    Well, it could be done right this time...

IMO, the downfall of IAA football was that the transition period is just too long and hard and keeps quality DII teams from moving up, while on the other hand you have conferences like the NEC, Patriot League and Pioneer not even funding full scholarships while whining that the playoffs need to be regionalized to help them save money.

Of course, it will never happen because with the AAC's delusions of grandeur they'll never concede not being peers with the P5 conferences and none of the other G5 leagues will separate if they won't.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

2. Default Re: If we get ranked.....

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    That would be fantastic.

Think about what happens when Boise beats Oklahoma in that format.
    It would be. But what will scare people away from that who are in control is a scenario like this: Your best G5 champ is ranked #17. #8 Wisconsin doesn't win the Big Ten. So this means Wisconsin plays in a random bowl game rather than being in the 8 team playoff, even though they are #8. Chances are good that the G5 champ taking that spot will bring significantly less fans to that playoff game. The sponsors of that playoff game don't want that. In a vacuum where money isn't involved, giving the G5 an automatic spot works. But those in power would never let that happen.

Make sure you all think of me when the P5 football( notice I didn't say FBS playoffs), expands to 6, 8, 12 etc. Have an adult beverage or a sweet tea, a good cigar and reminisce about how Garns kept saying there won't be playoff expansion. Hopefully I'll be looking down and trying to get pete to send me up some crow.(smile).

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    I've always advocated for an 8 team bracket: all five P5 conference champs, the highest rated G5 team who is also a conference champ, and two at large P5 teams. Only requires 1 extra game than what is being done currently.
    Quote Originally Posted by EagleTeacher View Post
    The idea that I've heard in the past that actually makes the most sense is expanding the playoff to 8 teams. All 5 "Power" conference champs are automatically in. The top ranked G5 champ is in. That leaves two at-large bids.

I can't see any scenario where the P5 will allow an automatic G5 berth in "their" FBS championship. It will always have to be earned by ranking (or selection which will be harder) that justifies the berth. The P5 has a number of perennially weaker teams (5-10), and the G5 has some perennially stronger teams (5-10). In general, the Top 25 will always be composed of P5 teams, with the occasional back swan event (like a Tom Brady appears at G5 ___ for four years).

Since iron sharpens iron, and playing tough opponents week in week out makes you a better team, the P5 elite will always have the advantage. This is made more so by the fact that they often go 3-deep with 3* plus talent. There is a divide, and not sure what to do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Make sure you all think of me when the P5 football( notice I didn't say FBS playoffs), expands to 6, 8, 12 etc. Have an adult beverage or a sweet tea, a good cigar and reminisce about how Garns kept saying there won't be playoff expansion. Hopefully I'll be looking down and trying to get pete to send me up some crow.(smile).

Quote Originally Posted by RobFromNorcross View Post
    I can't see any scenario where the P5 will allow an automatic G5 berth in "their" FBS championship. It will always have to be earned by ranking (or selection which will be harder) that justifies the berth. The P5 has a number of perennially weaker teams (5-10), and the G5 has some perennially stronger teams (5-10). In general, the Top 25 will always be composed of P5 teams, with the occasional back swan event (like a Tom Brady appears at G5 ___ for four years).

Since iron sharpens iron, and playing tough opponents week in week out makes you a better team, the P5 elite will always have the advantage. This is made more so by the fact that they often go 3-deep with 3* plus talent. There is a divide, and not sure what to do about it.
    Besides they all ready have "given" us the Access Bowl, now "shut up and go to your room and don't let us hear anymore of this expansion talk".

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    Besides they all ready have "given" us the Access Bowl, now "shut up and go to your room and don't let us hear anymore of this expansion talk".

8. Default Re: If we get ranked.....

In an 8+ team playoff, the Access bowl would likely be absorbed into that and hopefully with it, the G5 access spot.

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    LOL, and spewed the dip!

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post
    Is that the Access Bowl he's holding?