TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49

Thread: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

  1. #1

    Default Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    So consider this:

    App State last year was a top 20 team nationally in scoring defense. They shut out a Toledo team that was averaging just under 40 points a game. They held a Wake Forest team second in ypp offense in the ACC to 20 points.

    What did that App team do against ULM? They gave up 52 points, 570 yards of offense, 213 yards rushing (5.6 ypc, same as us). Their second-highest number of points given up last year (and that includes UGA) was New Mexico State. They gave up 31 points and 500+ yards to New Mexico State (including 170+ rushing yards). That game was in Boone, BTW.

    But I'm sure that's just a coincidence and and the defense is no good 'cause the S&P says so and because the linebackers just stink, right?

    Also, Nate Woody's 2012 Wofford offense held us to 17, held NDSU to 14, held #9 South Carolina to 24. Know which game they gave up the most points all season to? App State, who wasn't great on offense but was throwing it a lot more with receivers like Sean Price, Tavaris Cadet, Tony Washington, and Andrew Peacock on the roster.

    So of course, this raises a question about the scheme. I like what we've done overall but do wonder if certain styles of offense are going to have our number. I'm a fan of always having 5 DBs on the field myself.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 5th November 2018 at 09:31 AM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    I don’t know enough about defensive strategy or personnel, but how difficult is it to jump from a 3-4 to a 3-3-5? Obviously the secondary would change but would it drastically effect coverage calls or blitz packages? It would a lot us more speed on the field, but may limit our ability to generate pressure if the front 3 aren’t getting anything done.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    The way we run the 3-4 basically has five DBs on the field a lot (in terms of personnel). I mean, does anyone think the anchor position isn’t really a safety?
    Last edited by pete4256; 5th November 2018 at 09:55 AM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

  4. Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    I don’t think the scheme was the problem.

    I think we just played awful all around. Some days that happens to very good teams.

    There’s no other explanation for our losses to ga state. We should have absolutely whipped them every time. Sometimes a skunk is on your shoulder.

  5. Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    So consider this:

    App State last year was a top 20 team nationally in scoring defense. They shut out a Toledo team that was averaging just under 40 points a game. They held a Wake Forest team second in ypp offense in the ACC to 20 points.

    What did that App team do against ULM? They gave up 52 points, 570 yards of offense, 213 yards rushing (5.6 ypc, same as us). Their second-highest number of points given up last year (and that includes UGA) was New Mexico State. They gave up 31 points and 500+ yards to New Mexico State (including 170+ rushing yards). That game was in Boone, BTW.

    But I'm sure that's just a coincidence and and the defense is no good 'cause the S&P says so and because the linebackers just stink, right?

    Also, Nate Woody's 2012 Wofford offense held us to 17, held NDSU to 14, held #9 South Carolina to 24. Know which game they gave up the most points all season to? App State, who wasn't great on offense but was throwing it a lot more with receivers like Sean Price, Tavaris Cadet, Tony Washington, and Andrew Peacock on the roster.

    So of course, this raises a question about the scheme. I like what we've done overall but do wonder if certain styles of offense are going to have our number. I'm a fan of always having 5 DBs on the field myself.
    The problem Saturday was that we couldn't get pressure on the QB and the middle of the field whuch has been an issue all year. We have done a great job at limiting the big play this year and didn't do it saturday. This defense will get better as we get more players who fit the mold. Need more LB's like harris and less like reese. Appy has had the best defense in the conference every year except last year and it only missed it last by 5yds a game. You have 3 teams in the top 55 running this same defense averaging giving up 376.4 yds a game. This defense is going to be great in the future for us.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    We never get pressure because we don’t blitz. The idiots that think “keep everything in front of them” is a legitimate defensive scheme don’t know what they are talking about. Our soft zones had everything in front of them Saturday. Problem is everyone raced past them.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

  7. #7

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    Harris is a decent LB. But the only LB that would see the field in the PJ/Sewak era is Byrd. LB is easily our weakest position on the team.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

  8. Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We never get pressure because we don’t blitz. The idiots that think “keep everything in front of them” is a legitimate defensive scheme don’t know what they are talking about. Our soft zones had everything in front of them Saturday. Problem is everyone raced past them.
    We do blitz. You may want to go back and watch again. We have got pressure this year without blitzing though. Appy has done this for years and their defensive stats prove it works.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    We don’t blitz. I would be very surprised if any team in the Belt blitzed less than us. Certainly we never disguise blitzes.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

  10. #10

    Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We never get pressure because we don’t blitz. The idiots that think “keep everything in front of them” is a legitimate defensive scheme don’t know what they are talking about. Our soft zones had everything in front of them Saturday. Problem is everyone raced past them.
    Blitzing a lot? Worked great for Tyson Summers.

    Also, we're a middling team nationally in terms of sacks. This is the best pass rush we've had since becoming an FBS team.

    Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    We don’t blitz. I would be very surprised if any team in the Belt blitzed less than us. Certainly we never disguise blitzes.
    You're going to complain about how slow our linebackers are, and you want them to blitz 4 yards off the LoS?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Similar Threads

  1. New defensive Scheme
    By GSU08 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 7th January 2018, 02:59 PM
  2. Defensive Scheme for this year?
    By BillyBob in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 23rd January 2016, 11:11 AM
  3. Scheme vs WV?
    By scotchtkh in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 19th August 2015, 09:02 PM
  4. Offensive scheme for '15?
    By scotchtkh in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 4th August 2015, 08:16 PM
  5. Scheme and Playcalling?
    By gritzblitz56 in forum The Flight Line
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 4th November 2009, 09:56 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •