TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by ChadWC View Post
    A 4th rusher in a 3-4 isn’t really considered a blitz. It doesn’t get into blitz territory until you send 5.
    Never thought I’d see the day
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

‘Blitz’ is one of those terms that seems to have lost any specific meaning over time due to overly broad application, like ‘read option’. But to me, the basic description of a blitz, regardless of numbers, has always been when a player not initially lined up at the LOS is sent to rush the QB. If you line up 3 at the line, and send 1 LB, CB or S who at least initially represents as a non-rusher, that player is ‘blitzing’ to me. Conversely, if you line up 5 or 6 at the line and they all rush the QB, that to me is not a blitz. Forget absolute numbers of blockers vs rushers, what the ‘base’ defense is called, or the players’ respective size, jersey #, or position as indicated on the roster, or whether they’re in a 2-, or 3-point stance. I take it more as an issue of ‘disguise’ and ‘surprise’, i.e., at least one player who would not be expected to be a rusher becomes a rusher. This definition gets a little blurrier when ‘blitzers’ tip their hand by approaching the line prior to the snap or bluff a blitz pre-snap, but the intent is still deception based on a change from the initial arrangement of the defense.

Have i been wrong all this time?
    GATAlac's First Law of the Interwebs: "As a thread on GSUfans grows longer, the probability of devolving into a debate on the flex approaches 1"

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I wonder if Klak (smile) could do a season-long breakdown of how often we send the Dog LB.
    Yeah . . . Klak . . . we’re gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow . . .
    GATAlac's First Law of the Interwebs: "As a thread on GSUfans grows longer, the probability of devolving into a debate on the flex approaches 1"

To me, a blitz is at least equalizing the number of offensive lineman. I understand that the tight end, and backs might stay in to max protect, but rushing four is never a blitz in the sense of the word. Now, it there are five down lineman or more, that is a blitz if they all come.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

5. Default Re: Just some observations on our 3-4 defensive scheme...

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I wonder if Klak (smile) could do a season-long breakdown of how often we send the Dog LB. I’d guess around 50% if the time, and I wouldn’t consider that a blitz (though the question of what to call it is meaningless, IMO). He’s usually matched up one-on-one with the T in the same way a DE would be, whether he’s in a three-point stance or not.

I would consider the Anchor to be blitzing, though.
    Sorry, I don't do defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Sorry, I don't do defense.
    That’s just pure laziness

A blitz is rushing someone not on the defensive line who would not typically rush. It's defined by its unpredictability rather than just number of men.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    That’s just pure laziness
    +1

And what a contemptuous post. "I don't do defense." I mean, that's getting big for one's breeches. (smile)
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

I really don't care about how many players blitz or do not blitz. Bottom line with the exception of the ULM game our defense has performed outstanding. Hopefully we're back on track against a real threat in Troy.

In Klak's defense, our entire team didn't "do defense" last week, either.