TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cure Bowl versus Tulane

Default Re: Cure Bowl versus Tulane

If I may get back to the original post. I know that because of health issues I won't be going to the game, therefore I'd rather GS not go to the Cure until they get a better TV contract.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Don't see it, honestly.

The offense improved from 2011 to 2012 in spite of a lot of new OL and not being as good a slotback, and no one will ever be able to convince me that 2013 was anything but a throw-away year for Monken and Brent Davis to experiment with different things.

IMO you can know how to scheme against the offense, but if you have players who have never played against it I'm not sure how much good it is.
    Did the offense really improve?

Coaches like to talk about the flex/option "negating talent," but I feel that can work both ways. There's no excuse for the talent we had in 2011 and 2012 to be scraping by or losing to less-talented teams such as Elon, Samford, The Citadel, or App State (yes, I said it). Did we negate our own talent in any way?
    Last edited by pete4256; 7th November 2018 at 12:18 PM.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

3. Default Re: Cure Bowl versus Tulane

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    Did the offense really improve?

Coaches like to talk about the flex/option "negating talent," but I feel that can work both ways. There's no excuse for the talent we had in 2011 and 2012 to be scraping by or losing to less-talented teams such as Elon, Samford, The Citadel, or App State (yes, I said it). Did we negate our own talent in any way?
    Yes but that had to do with us getting Jerrick under center as well. Jaybo knew the offense but was slow as molasses in the winter.
    5.8 ypc in 2011, 6.58 ypc in 2012.
    6.58 ypp in 2011, 6.92 ypp in 2012

Problem in 2012 is we became one dimensional. Jerrick probably had worst arm of any flexbone Qb we've ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle02120624 View Post
    Yes but that had to do with us getting Jerrick under center as well. Jaybo knew the offense but was slow as molasses in the winter.
    5.8 ypc in 2011, 6.58 ypc in 2012.
    6.58 ypp in 2011, 6.92 ypp in 2012

Problem in 2012 is we became one dimensional. Jerrick probably had worst arm of any flexbone Qb we've ever had.
    No doubt, but GS had good slots that year and Swope was a really good blocker in addition to being a strong belly back, so it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by blueballs View Post
    No doubt, but GS had good slots that year and Swope was a really good blocker in addition to being a strong belly back, so it worked.
    Yes, that was an incredibly talented team.

However, we had real problems sticking the ball in the endzone. Teams just quit playing honest on the pass and loaded up inside the 25 or so. They knew we could only throw play-action bombs into busted coverage (which doesn't help in the red zone), and they knew our kicking game stunk.

If you look at the statistically-suggested outcomes, we should've scored a lot more points.

Here are some interesting results from the "Expected Scores" section of some cool 2012 advanced box scores I found.

I'll list the expected points followed by the margin.

vs. The Citadel 45.62 (-24.62)
    vs. Elon 33.96 (-7.96)
    vs. WCU 80.99 (-35.99)
    vs. Wofford 26.68 (-9.68)
    vs. Furman 49.90 (-9.90)
    vs. App 55.48 (-27.48)
    vs. UGA 33.45 (-19.45)
    vs. UCA 38.19 (-14.19)
    vs. ODU 69.42 (-20.42)
    vs. NDSU 36.56 (-16.56)

In any case, we should have scored a lot more points. While the reason seems relatively clear (see above), there's no reason we shouldn't have beaten some of those teams (Elon, cough, The Citadel, cough, App State, cough, UCA, cough) by three or four TDs.

I don't blame Jerick.
    The Cliffs of Insanity
    #newsflash
    www.247sports.com/porkchopratings

However, we had real problems sticking the ball in the endzone. Teams just quit playing honest on the pass and loaded up inside the 25 or so. They knew we could only throw play-action bombs into busted coverage (which doesn't help in the red zone), and they knew our kicking game stunk.

If you look at the statistically-suggested outcomes, we should've scored a lot more points.

Here are some interesting results from the "Expected Scores" section of some cool 2012 advanced box scores I found.

vs. Elon 33.96 (-7.96)
    vs. WCU 80.99 (-35.99)
    vs. Furman 49.90 (-9.90)
    vs. App 55.48 (-27.48)
    vs. UGA 33.45 (-19.45)
    vs. UCA 38.19 (-14.19)
    vs. ODU 69.42 (-20.42)
    vs. NDSU 36.56 (-16.56)

In any case, we should have scored a lot more points. While the reason seems relatively clear (see above), there's no reason we shouldn't have beaten some of those teams (Elon, cough, The Citadel, cough, App State, cough, UCA, cough) by three or four TDs.

I don't blame Jerick.
    Nothing better demonstrates the 2012 team’s issues like the game against App State. We couldn’t punch it in or get ourselves into manageable fourth downs so Alex Hanks kept getting sent out to miss field goals. Watching McKinnon try to run the two minute drill on that last drive was painful. He did the best he could but after the penalty that set us up for what I think was third and long it was over.

So, I for one have no interest in playing Tulane in a bowl game.

For purely selfish reasons I'd love to see GS at the Cure Bowl, because I can easily attend, but realistically only if it is in the best interest of the program.

9. Default Re: Cure Bowl versus Tulane

5. Camellia Bowl: $250,000 (ESPN)
    4. Arizona Bowl: $413,000 (CBSSN)
    3. Cure Bowl: $750,000 (CBSSN)
    2. New Orleans Bowl: $925,000 (ESPN)
    1. Dollar General Bowl: $1,500,000 (ESPN)

DGB likely takes the East winner. New Orleans bowl will take the Louisiana team with the best record, assuming they're bowl eligible. Everything else would be filled out by whoever that bowl committee thinks will sell the most tickets. SO if that's the case, Southern goes to the Cure or Camellia based on location if they don't win the East.

vs. Elon 33.96 (-7.96)
    vs. WCU 80.99 (-35.99)
    vs. Furman 49.90 (-9.90)
    vs. App 55.48 (-27.48)
    vs. UGA 33.45 (-19.45)
    vs. UCA 38.19 (-14.19)
    vs. ODU 69.42 (-20.42)
    vs. NDSU 36.56 (-16.56)

I don't blame Jerick.
    Those expected points scored numbers look absurd. 37 on NDSU? 33 on UGA? 70 on ODU? I'll tell you the same thing I tell Buzz and Klak and anyone else who will listen about analytics...computers are great for doing large amount of calculations and summarizing data for you but don't let them do your thinking for you. If those are what we "should" have scored, the metric obviously has limits. Just like the analytics guys that try to say turnovers are random in spite of the fact that Nick Saban and Bill Belichick have positive turnover differentials every season and we just happened to have won the turnover battle with 9 of the 9 teams we've played.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 9th November 2018 at 01:54 PM.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.