TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MBB - GS vs Carver College

Default Re: MBB - GS vs Carver College

Quote Originally Posted by gsudarlin View Post
    Looks like there are a few small schools (almost, if not all, faith-based. I wasn't paying attention to that when looking for #s) participating in the on-campus games. How we landed the smallest, I'm not sure. Might've been explained pre-game and I just missed it.

Midway( ~1200 NAIA)@ Miami OH
    Wesley (~ 1500 D3) @ Towson
    Texas Lutheran (~1300 D3) @ Incarnate Word
    Montana Tech (~1900 NAIA) @ Montana
    Palm Beach Atlantic (~ 2,600 D2) @ FAU
    I can understand playing an in-state NAIA or D2 like those other schools did but to play a school whose enrollment is sub-100 and is in the NCCAA is head scratching.

Two points short of a school record for single-game points even though we didn't shoot the FTs well. Shades of 2004 Johnson C Smith in football.

These are the observations combined from Charleston Southern and tonight:

1. Quan Jackson is playing like an all-SBC guard in these first two games (seriously). He's been scoring and also has an insane amount of steals from the first two games, too. Obviously he won't keep up that number, but I would expect a good many this season.
    2. Ike Smith looks like sophomore Ike so far. Playing well for the most part. Didn't get the ball a lot but put points in.
    3. Tookie didn't get the ball much but made good use of it.
    4. David Lee Jones (just going from the first two games) seems better.
    5. Glenn looks like Glenn. Front-court isn't great but doesn't need to be great and is still better than the last two seasons at least.

Carver looks very not division I, but I don't think they're a whole lot worse than Bluefield state last year. We seemed to be in position nicely to get rebounds on both offense and defense, though, and shoot and assist well, and a lot of that is independent of quality of competition.

Definitely think this can be the best team so far CMB has had. Fingers crossed.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

3. Default Re: MBB - GS vs Carver College

Quote Originally Posted by GSUfanforever View Post
    I can understand playing an in-state NAIA or D2 like those other schools did but to play a school whose enrollment is sub-100 and is in the NCCAA is head scratching.
    this was not as bad as the savannah state women game who beat Wesleyan College 155-26 and set new NCAA Division I margin of victory record of 129

These games do nothing for the team. Going from this kind of school to any D1 team is a massive jump.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

I liked what I saw from Crawford and Wishart. Quan has certainly taken a big jump over the offseason.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

Tyshawn Crawford looked pretty good to me. He has a nice touch, made free throws and nice rebounds. This team is talented and Carter didn’t play.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Two points short of a school record for single-game points even though we didn't shoot the FTs well. Shades of 2004 Johnson C Smith in football.

These are the observations combined from Charleston Southern and tonight:

1. Quan Jackson is playing like an all-SBC guard in these first two games (seriously). He's been scoring and also has an insane amount of steals from the first two games, too. Obviously he won't keep up that number, but I would expect a good many this season.
    2. Ike Smith looks like sophomore Ike so far. Playing well for the most part. Didn't get the ball a lot but put points in.
    3. Tookie didn't get the ball much but made good use of it.
    4. David Lee Jones (just going from the first two games) seems better.
    5. Glenn looks like Glenn. Front-court isn't great but doesn't need to be great and is still better than the last two seasons at least.

Carver looks very not division I, but I don't think they're a whole lot worse than Bluefield state last year. We seemed to be in position nicely to get rebounds on both offense and defense, though, and shoot and assist well, and a lot of that is independent of quality of competition.

Definitely think this can be the best team so far CMB has had. Fingers crossed.
    +1, we did what a good team does when your playing a poor team, stomp them, run them out of the gym, stay focused. Overall we did than. Quan and David Lee Jones have improved the most in off season. Our 7'1"" big boy had another nice game, IMO he is improving faster than a lot of folks thought. He is one BIG body. He hit double digits in scoring, had some rebounds and blocked shots. By his JR year look for him to be a double/double machine, the kid is showing that he is athletical. Calvin, #10, kid from Minnesota, freshman can play, made some great passes tonight. Vita didn't play tonight, another freshman didn't play(both not in uniform). The most talented team I've seen at GS. We will beat George Mason next week by over 10.

8. Default Re: MBB - GS vs Carver College

lets see if we do this vs George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    I liked what I saw from Crawford and Wishart. Quan has certainly taken a big jump over the offseason.
    Crawford will give us some quality minutes this year and so will Wishart(once he Truely adapts to D1 speed). +1 on Quan, he has gotten stronger physically, not so much a "bean poll".

Quote Originally Posted by sportsperson1983 View Post
    lets see if we do this vs George Mason
    George Mason got beat last night and were not playing anyone special we will beat them by 10 or more.