TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raises for coaches?

1. Default Raises for coaches?

Default Re: Raises for coaches?

Unpopular Opinion: Don't take this the wrong way, because I've been tripping over my own feet running to defend the hiring of Lunsford every time someone says something bad about it here, but I don't think Lunsford should get a pay raise. Give him a multi-year contract and some stability for darn sure, but he's making more than enough for a guy with his level of experience.

Bob DeBesse in particular is not sidekick offensive coordinator like, say, Brent Davis. He's got more power and responsibilities. We need to pay the coordinators well.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Unpopular Opinion: Don't take this the wrong way, because I've been tripping over my own feet running to defend the hiring of Lunsford every time someone says something bad about it here, but I don't think Lunsford should get a pay raise. Give him a multi-year contract and some stability for darn sure, but he's making more than enough for a guy with his level of experience.

Bob DeBesse in particular is not sidekick offensive coordinator like, say, Brent Davis. He's got more power and responsibilities. We need to pay the coordinators well.
    I agree.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Its about time all those folks the last couple of years that said they were not donating $______ because of _____ can start opening up those check books. This is also the time that all those loud mouth, big baller, all talk no paper folks can start reordering all those season tickets that supposedly got dropped because of ________. I really don't care if you only make 4 games out of 6. Give the other 2 games to potential boosters. Time to build the Nest folks, there are only two directions, either we are moving forward or backward there is no neutral.

We should be rolling in all that cash that was supposedly being held hostage because of __________ the last couple of years.

It is kind of silly as you can see with Satt and Brown to worry about keeping anyone. Taking Lunsford to 1M would not even keep Tulane from taking him if they wanted much less a P5 that can pay 2M+ same for the coords. We are to early into the FBS journey to even stress about keeping coaches. ArkSt predates us by 15+ years has had decent runs and could not hold onto four coaches in a row. Pay a fair salary based on peers but it is wasted time worrying about holding onto coaches right now.

I am more stressed not paying our athletes full stipends, last I heard we were not. That is crazy and way more important than coaching salaries.
    Dirk E. Sanchez, Overyonder, GA 2001

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    you missed JDC's point.

6. Default Re: Raises for coaches?

We need to give DeBesse and Sloan hefty raises. Chad Lunsford is great, but his success largely rests on the shoulders of those two.

We also need to give Lunsford a raise though just to remain competitive with what our peers are paying. TXST, Troy, App, StAte, and ULL all currently pay their coaches more than we pay Lunsford. We need to show that we are committed to our staffs when they perform well. Just look at what happened when we approached Houston last year. If we want good coaches, we need to pay a competitive salary. We can't expect to find diamonds in the rough forever.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    We need to give DeBesse and Sloan hefty raises. Chad Lunsford is great, but his success largely rests on the shoulders of those two.

We also need to give Lunsford a raise though just to remain competitive with what our peers are paying. TXST, Troy, App, StAte, and ULL all currently pay their coaches more than we pay Lunsford. We need to show that we are committed to our staffs when they perform well. Just look at what happened when we approached Houston last year. If we want good coaches, we need to pay a competitive salary. We can't expect to find diamonds in the rough forever.
    They are here why pay more unless they are getting offers from other lower tier G5's? Just to look better? Silly. We will never have a problem finding good coaches from the FCS and elsewhere.

you missed JDC's point.

The article does say pay raises for Lunsford and his staff, so...yea.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    The article does say pay raises for Lunsford and his staff, so...yea.
    Said "could be". I doubt anything groundbreaking and it should not be after one season.

Pay raises could be in the near future for Chad Lunsford and the Georgia Southern football coaching staff.

you missed JDC's point.

Pay them, its about time GS gets out of the dark ages and takes care of their coaches. This pay them slightly above FCS level is BS.