TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Weeknight Games - They are not worth it

Default Re: Weeknight Games - They are not worth it

You can pretty much guarantee our game with App next year will be a Wed or Thurs night.

Nobody likes midweek games. But it’s a part of the espn contract. They get to pick which games they want to televise. That’s part of the price we pay to be on tv and espn+. Conference USA teams would trade with us in a heartbeat.

Much rather play on Tuesday or Wednesday. The NFL trumps everything. Alabama vs Ohio State could play on Thursday opposite of the Cardinals-Jaguars, and be fodder.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

I just wonder if we'll ever get to play App on a Saturday again

5. Default Re: Weeknight Games - They are not worth it

Klak posted this on the Sun Belt board. We are the only team in the conference that has played at least one weeknight game at home each year since moving up. If the payouts from ESPN were prorated based on who they put on tv more, that would be one thing, but we have the added pressure put on us for the same pay. Why? The Sun Belt treats App State like their golden goose. Why is App State not forced to play on weeknights more?

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

Klak posted this on the Sun Belt board. We are the only team in the conference that has played at least one weeknight game at home each year since moving up. If the payouts from ESPN were prorated based on who they put on tv more, that would be one thing, but we have the added pressure put on us for the same pay. Why? The Sun Belt treats App State like their golden goose. Why is App State not forced to play on weeknights more?
    We might very well have the best mid-week atmosphere in the Sun Belt (though I'm not sure how much ESPN cares about that).
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

The ticket office told me a couple of years ago that we sell more tickets on Thanksgiving weekend than anyone else in the conference, so that's why I was no longer surprised to have home games on that weekend.

Luckily we've dodged that one the last few years.

I think we have a lot of strong support at times the rest of the conference doesn't.

8. Default Re: Weeknight Games - They are not worth it

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post

Because it is not up to the SBC, it is up to a ESPN.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Because it is not up to the SBC, it is up to a ESPN.
    This. ESPN is the “god” of college sports. If they want you to play at 10:00 am on Tuesday that when you play.

We drew over 19,000 against app on Thursday. Not sure we would have had that many more "paid" attendance on a Saturday.

The absolute only time anyone mentions watching a GS game to me is after a weeknight broadcast game and after a bowl game. More people mention the weeknight tv games than the bowl games.

I would be shocked if only 100,000 watched at least a part of the App game. That does not pass the smell test.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1