TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 13 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Presidential Search Update

1. Default GS Presidential Search Update

http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/news/ar...6c36324f0.html

The search committee announced that they have narrowed the applicants down to a list of finalists that have been given to the BoR. Since it is a closed search, we will not know any names but the name of the future president when they are announced. Dal Cannady from WTOC reported that the committee received twice as many applicants as the previous searches from the past. He also mentioned that they "received way more applications from sitting presidents of other universities than ever before." Apparently the goal is for the new president to be announced and enter his or her role before the end of the spring semester instead of July 1.

This is all fantastic news and shows that our university is trending up. The search committee released a statement on the number of applicants saying that "Clearly, Georgia Southern is a place where people want to be." Especially with the unique situation that the new president will be stepping into, this should give us all an element of optimism about the future of Georgia Southern.

2. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    http://www.thegeorgeanne.com/news/ar...6c36324f0.html

The search committee announced that they have narrowed the applicants down to a list of finalists that have been given to the BoR. Since it is a closed search, we will not know any names but the name of the future president when they are announced. Dal Cannady from WTOC reported that the committee received twice as many applicants as the previous searches from the past. He also mentioned that they "received way more applications from sitting presidents of other universities than ever before." Apparently the goal is for the new president to be announced and enter his or her role before the end of the spring semester instead of July 1.

This is all fantastic news and shows that our university is trending up. The search committee released a statement on the number of applicants saying that "Clearly, Georgia Southern is a place where people want to be." Especially with the unique situation that the new president will be stepping into, this should give us all an element of optimism about the future of Georgia Southern.
    I thought state law required taxpayer funded institutions (and governments) to list the three finalists for such a job.

Does that not apply here? (I ask because I don't know, and also because I don't like the lack of transparency).
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

3. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post
    I thought state law required taxpayer funded institutions (and governments) to list the three finalists for such a job.

Does that not apply here? (I ask because I don't know, and also because I don't like the lack of transparency).
    It's easy to get around it by having more finalists than the number required for disclosure. I don't remember if it's three or four, but either way, the law only requires you to disclose the names once you're below a certain number of candidates. You just keep your candidate count above that magic number and you can keep it secret as long as you want.
    A successful program requires quality coaches. Help us keep ours.
    https://give.gseagles.com/campaign/m...llenge/c170354

4. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by elmothemoose View Post

I don't know about a state law, but according to the Board of Regents policies and procedures on their website, it's up to the discretion of the search committee. The general idea behind a closed search is that it encourages applicants who may not otherwise apply publicly to put their name in. If they are not selected, they don't lose the security of their current job. This is important for current university presidents.

5. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Savannah Morning News reporting that the search committee will announce a new president next week. That was fast.

Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Savannah Morning News reporting that the search committee will announce a new president next week. That was fast.
    clap, clap, clap.

Almost like they knew who they were going to select ahead of time
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Exactly.

So they're no longer having open forums with each of the finalists?
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    They just have to decide who uga likes best.