TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Presidential Search Update

1. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Itís the ajc.

In an age of complete garbage journalism, they set a new low.....

Their product is crap. Their subscription numbers have nosedived for 20 years because they absolutely refuse to practice any objective journalism ever.

What they are implying is what they always imply. Itís so old.

2. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Didn't want to start a new thread for it, but Georgia Southern's economic impact for the state has officially surpassed 1 billion dollars. Joining UGA, GT, GAST, and KSU as public schools with a >1B impact.

https://news.georgiasouthern.edu/2018/12/06/georgia-southerns-annual-economic-impact-measured-at-more-than-1-billion/

Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread for it, but Georgia Southern's economic impact for the state has officially surpassed 1 billion dollars. Joining UGA, GT, GAST, and KSU as public schools with a >1B impact.

https://news.georgiasouthern.edu/2018/12/06/georgia-southerns-annual-economic-impact-measured-at-more-than-1-billion/
    That's impressive, especially considering that the cumulative amount between Georgia Southern and Armstrong prior to the merger was ~$750 million.

Even more reason to be redesignated by the BoR to be on the same tier with UGA/GT/Gast.

4. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    That's impressive, especially considering that the cumulative amount between Georgia Southern and Armstrong prior to the merger was ~$750 million.

Even more reason to be redesignated by the BoR to be on the same tier with UGA/GT/Gast.
    Hopefully this only continues to improve with the next president. One of his hallmarks at UWG was posting record endowment and economic impact during his short time there.

We need to focus on surpassing KSU next.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    I wonder what the market standard is for Presidents being open vs being closed? Seems like a private search is the way to go as we get more experienced hires looking to move on. I don't know about everyone else, but when you job search, do you tell your boss? No you do it in secrecy. Last time I went through one I went to a storage room for the phone interview, so I could have privacy and not be disturbed. I had a "doctors appointment" for the in person interview. I got the job offer, like many pending the drug and background checks. I never told my then current employer until it was 100% official.

Point being seems like there was a greater pool of more qualified sitting university presidents. Which is a good thing, he's got experience as a university president. And especially being inside the same state he always knows the politics and has contacts within the USG. Oh and that opinion article is a joke. It's state law (or is it federal) that emails be retained for 7 years as a government employee. Same with cell phone records and texts. You're already an employee of the USG and the open records act is there for a reason. To protect shady behavior or spending since it is taxpayer funded. That has zero relation to a job search. I mean when a Dean is hired is there any public forms? What's the difference? Or a professor? Or the accountant?
    I get the point of the benefits of a closed search, but an open search allows for opinions from various stakeholders like students, faculty/staff and the community. There has to be a happy medium.
    Season ticket holder in new section - KK

6. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Eagle View Post
    I get the point of the benefits of a closed search, but an open search allows for opinions from various stakeholders like students, faculty/staff and the community. There has to be a happy medium.
    The BoR must wait 5 days after announcing a sole finalist to hold a session to confirm him. I believe that's what this time period is for. To my knowledge, it's been 5 days and no session has been scheduled yet.

All in favor say.....Aye!

8. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Hopefully this only continues to improve with the next president. One of his hallmarks at UWG was posting record endowment and economic impact during his short time there.

We need to focus on surpassing KSU next.
    The endowment is pretty low for a school our size.

Somehow SCADís endowment is twice what ours is. No idea how that happened

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    The endowment is pretty low for a school our size.

Somehow SCADís endowment is twice what ours is. No idea how that happened
    Because of the recessions and the alumni giving back bust. Sorry could not resist. Because our alumni giving rate percentage wise is very well below the national average. Not sure it's changed since that study was done under Dr. Keel. It's been many years since then obviously and I can't find the document anymore.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

As I stated in a previous post, I live in West Georgia (Carroll County) and my office is in Carrollton. I cannot tell you the number of people from this area who have made comments to me expressing their sadness at losing Dr. Marrero. He will be a tremendous ambassador of the University and will develop strong ties with the community and region.
    West Georgia Eagle
    Temple, GA
    Class of 1981