TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GS Presidential Search Update

Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
    The interim does not have a doctorate.
    A number of years ago a President of UAlbany had a MBA.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    Things have been challenging, to put it mildly, since Dr. Keel left for Augusta. This hire is absolutely critical to the future of the University. We have a new Research Designation, a huge Engineering-Research Space going in, new "satellite" campuses, a winning football team .. There are many things to get excited about in Statesboro, but if Regents makes a bad hire at the top ... .... .... .... USG can't sabotage GS just to pacify UGA wants and needs. There is too much on the line in this part of the state and if things aren't done well, it reflects on STATE leadership, not just Regents ..

I am hopeful.
    we have done well with the interim at "the top" so I expect business as usual no matter who the BOR has decided on. The new Engineering Building is going to be beautiful.

3. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Things have been challenging, to put it mildly, since Dr. Keel left for Augusta. This hire is absolutely critical to the future of the University. We have a new Research Designation, a huge Engineering-Research Space going in, new "satellite" campuses, a winning football team .. There are many things to get excited about in Statesboro, but if Regents makes a bad hire at the top ... .... .... .... USG can't sabotage GS just to pacify UGA wants and needs. There is too much on the line in this part of the state and if things aren't done well, it reflects on STATE leadership, not just Regents ..

I am hopeful.
    I'm very optimistic too. There is a lot of money (some of it tied to major industries in the region) and there is a lot on the line. GS is a centerpiece in the plan for economic development involving the Savannah Port. Long story short, being the only major university in this half of the state is about to make GS very important. I would think the BoR understands that this decision is important for the state economy as a whole. Georgia Southern needs to continue to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I'm very optimistic too. There is a lot of money (some of it tied to major industries in the region) and there is a lot on the line. GS is a centerpiece in the plan for economic development involving the Savannah Port. Long story short, being the only major university in this half of the state is about to make GS very important. I would think the BoR understands that this decision is important for the state economy as a whole. Georgia Southern needs to continue to grow.
    Today:

https://news.georgiasouthern.edu/2019/01/03/georgia-southern-opens-new-health-professions-academic-building-home-to-waters-college-of-health-professions/
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

5. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by Not Roger Inman View Post
    That is correct, the search is secret. With the reasoning being, that they believe they can get more qualified candidates if the finalists aren't publicized.
    It could be embarrassing for the candidates to have to answer questions in public regarding their preference for the triple option, air raid, or flex offensive schemes.

MAYBE we need someone with more political connections than we have had in the past
    A politician knows how to raise money which is the main role of the Pres.
    Also someone that knows the ins and out in ATL and the BOR may be a big help.
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by TiftEagle View Post
    It could be embarrassing for the candidates to have to answer questions in public regarding their preference for the triple option, air raid, or flex offensive schemes.
    That's funny...AND accurate
    Once poked Chad Lunsford in the eye.

I am hopeful.
    The most crucial thing is to be redesignated in the USG. The Carnegie rating was great, but right now we're artificially limited by that designation.

We're on the same level as Valdosta State currently. We are not peer institutions at all.

9. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Thanks, you put it much better than I did.

10. Default Re: GS Presidential Search Update

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    The most crucial thing is to be redesignated in the USG. The Carnegie rating was great, but right now we're artificially limited by that designation.

We're on the same level as Valdosta State currently. We are not peer institutions at all.

Redesignation would be stupid.

Just call us Georgia Southern.

GT is a university, but no one ever refers to them 'Georgia Institute of Technology University'

MIT is a university too. No one ever refers to it by the U.

Definitely don't change the name. Not a good (or necessary) idea.