TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: basketball v. Texas State

Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

High % shot, high % shot. Do todays basketball coaches EVER use this terminology? I know the game has changed with the invention of the 3 point shot but.........

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I disagree, I really want to see us in the NCAA tournament again, but I don’t see the point if we win the SBC tournament as barely a .500 team and end up being a 15 seed playing Kentucky or Duke.
    What? Just get to the stinking "Dance", I don't care if we are 24-8 or 8-24. Look, of course I want us to win 20+ games but don't forget ULL last year, over 25 wins, didn't win SBT, didn't get invite. A SB team no matter who they are will not be seeded very high. Pick your poison, Kansas, Michigan or pretty much any of the top 20 teams(all of them will be difficult).

3. Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    What? Just get to the stinking "Dance", I don't care if we are 24-8 or 8-24. Look, of course I want us to win 20+ games but don't forget ULL last year, over 25 wins, didn't win SBT, didn't get invite. A SB team no matter who they are will not be seeded very high. Pick your poison, Kansas, Michigan or pretty much any of the top 20 teams(all of them will be difficult).
    Yep, I hope to see us back there again, too.... my point was merely a disagreement with your “nothing matters” until the SBC tournament comment. It matters. Losing to Texas State matters, that’s why they play the game.

Guys, this was a road conference game against the team with the best record in the league and we are without 2 starters. We still almost win the game after getting 14 down. I agree with coach B, this game and time will pay dividends down the stretch. Nobody wants to lose but you got to recognize that TSU didn’t want to lose either and we made them a mess coming down the stretch. I am going to celebrate the good things I saw in this game. Carter will be a beast as we go forward. QJ can play D and has game, McCadden has game just needs experience, Wishart is learning and DLJ can play better off the bench. Oh yea, did I mention Crawford fouling out with 9 minutes to go and he may be our best player right now. The fans may not notice but the rest of the league does, this team has game and at full strength is going to be tough. Don’t turn on this team on a public forum when they are working their butts off under tough circumstances and darn near pulled the game out even with the poor shooting from 3. Let’s get the split in a Texas Saturday and get back to a reasonable schedule. I know most of you won’t understand but we just played 3 very good teams on the road and almost pulled them out without 2 of our top players. I liked the comment, “talk to me in February”! Have a good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Guys, this was a road conference game against the team with the best record in the league and we are without 2 starters. We still almost win the game after getting 14 down. I agree with coach B, this game and time will pay dividends down the stretch. Nobody wants to lose but you got to recognize that TSU didn’t want to lose either and we made them a mess coming down the stretch. I am going to celebrate the good things I saw in this game. Carter will be a beast as we go forward. QJ can play D and has game, McCadden has game just needs experience, Wishart is learning and DLJ can play better off the bench. Oh yea, did I mention Crawford fouling out with 9 minutes to go and he may be our best player right now. The fans may not notice but the rest of the league does, this team has game and at full strength is going to be tough. Don’t turn on this team on a public forum when they are working their butts off under tough circumstances and darn near pulled the game out even with the poor shooting from 3. Let’s get the split in a Texas Saturday and get back to a reasonable schedule. I know most of you won’t understand but we just played 3 very good teams on the road and almost pulled them out without 2 of our top players. I liked the comment, “talk to me in February”! Have a good weekend!

I agree!!

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    I disagree, I really want to see us in the NCAA tournament again, but I don’t see the point if we win the SBC tournament as barely a .500 team and end up being a 15 seed playing Kentucky or Kansas.
    This is a great point. Do we want to just get to the Dance as #15-16 seed, or in the regular season and tournament getting us a #12-13, and a much more winnable first round game? This is why the regular season matters.

Call me crazy, but despite the talent on the court, this team is essentially the same as all Byington teams. At this point, you just have to know that what we've gotten is what we're going to get.

Looking at the stat line, pretty much every area was a wash. FG, FT, rebounds. We lost last night by going 3-19(16%) from 3. Yes, I'm still keeping the faith. Having two SR starters out the last two games doesn't help. Regarding these last 3 games on the road, close and in all of them we had a shot at the win. I guess my point is real good teams find a way to win these, that's why those type of teams win 25 games in a season. CB says these type of games are good for us(down the road). Down the road sounds a lot like SB Tournament time. One of the things I was so impressed with at beginning of season was our depth now with the injuries our depth is taking a hit. Oh, we also had 11 steals last night. GagSt beat TexArlington last night in a terrible cold shooting game, let's hope we get the win Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    Call me crazy, but despite the talent on the court, this team is essentially the same as all Byington teams. At this point, you just have to know that what we've gotten is what we're going to get.
    We have 3 "slashers" on the team, Tookie, Quan and Ike. With Ike out, down to 2. IMO, this hurts a lot, these 3 slashing to the rim makes our offense so much stronger especially when Glenn is in the middle grabbing offensive rebounds. As it stands now, we are a terrible 3 point shooting team. If the injuries continue we must shoot the 3 better, a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerEagle View Post
    This is my big frustration. We’ve heard for two years that this was going to be “our year” and “something special.” Instead, we still can’t shoot free throws and are losing winnable games. And this is with the #1 player in the sun belt.

Not calling for Byington’s head just yet, but he’s going to have to get over the hump quickly because we might not have this type of talent again for a while