TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on
     
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: basketball v. Texas State

  1. #31

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by SigEp614 View Post
    This is my big frustration. We’ve heard for two years that this was going to be “our year” and “something special.” Instead, we still can’t shoot free throws and are losing winnable games. And this is with the #1 player in the sun belt.

    Not calling for Byington’s head just yet, but he’s going to have to get over the hump quickly because we might not have this type of talent again for a while
    we will have good talent CB is a heck of recruiter. I'm not sure why Tookie didn't go to the foul line all last night?

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Decatur, GA
    Posts
    43,752

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    That would not be my thinking if we played in PAC12, SEC, ACC etc. If we played in a Conference where more than one team gets to go to NCAA's then yes every game counts but when your in a one bid conference in which you have to win the conference tournament all that matters is winning ALL your games in Tournament.
    Actually at this rate the PAC 12 will be a 1 bid league this year. Only 3 went last year and 0 wins. But you are 100% right. We are a 1 bid league and have to win the Sun Belt tournament. We could go 30-5 and not get an at large bid. I'd rather go 15-15 and win the Sun Belt tournament and get in the Big Dance. From what little money we put into basketball (sadly something the previous AD used to brag about) we are who we are.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

  3. #33

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    This loss makes me sad and wonder what is going on.
    Poster formerly known as gudp1

  4. #34

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    Actually at this rate the PAC 12 will be a 1 bid league this year. Only 3 went last year and 0 wins. But you are 100% right. We are a 1 bid league and have to win the Sun Belt tournament. We could go 30-5 and not get an at large bid. I'd rather go 15-15 and win the Sun Belt tournament and get in the Big Dance. From what little money we put into basketball (sadly something the previous AD used to brag about) we are who we are.
    Well yea, if we could just chose a path you always chose the one that ends with you in the dance. But that’s not how it works. More times than not, where you finish in the regular season is where you finish in the post season tournament. Partly because of seeding partly because after you play the conference schedule you are what you are. Right now we look like a sloppy team that shoots poorly from three and at the three point line. Unfortunately, that’s what this team has been for a while.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sugar Hill, Ga
    Posts
    9,366

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    My quick overall assessment thus far is ....

    * New “key” rotational players finding roles and coach finding lineups and plays to help them succeed.

    * Ike attempting to find his stride after an injury plagued season and then gets injured again.

    * Glenn, our unsung warrior down low, gets hurt.

    * 2 Frosh learning “on the fly” the college game and being counted on for fairly significant minutes is always a roller coaster ride.


    CMB having to work through all these dynamics is a real juggling act. He needs those 2 missing Seniors back and playing at a fairly high level. This team hasn’t had enough time on the court all together for long enough stretches to gel and iron out kinks. It is great to see Carter come on strong lately and see Crawley blossom. I hope we can get healthy and stay that way throughout the rest of the season and build towards SBC tournament play.

    We aren’t as good as our best and aren’t as bad as some say. Somewhere in the mean. As some have already stated, we’ve gotta figure out how to start games better and not dig such big holes for ourselves. Gotta play much better D than what we’ve recently shown. We are capable on D. Gotta also figure out how to close-out closely contested games down the stretch.

    I like Byington a lot and feel he is the right coach for us right now and perhaps in the future. Hope he continues to improve his XO knowledge and in-game choices. He’s still a very young coach.

  6. #36

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    What? Just get to the stinking "Dance", I don't care if we are 24-8 or 8-24. Look, of course I want us to win 20+ games but don't forget ULL last year, over 25 wins, didn't win SBT, didn't get invite. A SB team no matter who they are will not be seeded very high. Pick your poison, Kansas, Michigan or pretty much any of the top 20 teams(all of them will be difficult).
    I would rather have ULL season last year (dominate the regular season and get upset in the SB tournament) than have a Troy season a few years ago - below average regular season but get hot and win the SB tournament just to get bounced in the NCAA tournament.

  7. #37

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    We were with out 2 starters, but I can't blame the loss on that. Reality.......Ike hasn't been "Ike" since his soph. year and Carter ends up with 20 points and 9 rebounds - I just don't see Glen giving us more than that.

    We have played a very good schedule and haven't played bad, but we are not playing up to our talent. We are loaded and if CB can't get it done with this group then I don't ever see him ever getting it done. The season is young and their is still a lot of basketball to be played, but I am starting to feel like I have seen this movie before.

  8. #38

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    We were with out 2 starters, but I can't blame the loss on that. Reality.......Ike hasn't been "Ike" since his soph. year and Carter ends up with 20 points and 9 rebounds - I just don't see Glen giving us more than that.

    We have played a very good schedule and haven't played bad, but we are not playing up to our talent. We are loaded and if CB can't get it done with this group then I don't ever see him ever getting it done. The season is young and their is still a lot of basketball to be played, but I am starting to feel like I have seen this movie before.
    Completely disagree about Ike.
    Don't choose to be annoyed. Choose to be amused.

    If you think TK is the reason we don't have better non-conference football schedules, see this post.

  9. #39

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    Completely disagree about Ike.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player, but he's not the first team all conference player like he was a couple years ago. just look at his stats.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    JDC325's Head
    Posts
    27,710

    Default Re: basketball v. Texas State

    Quote Originally Posted by SigEp614 View Post
    This is my big frustration. We’ve heard for two years that this was going to be “our year” and “something special.” Instead, we still can’t shoot free throws and are losing winnable games. And this is with the #1 player in the sun belt.

    Not calling for Byington’s head just yet, but he’s going to have to get over the hump quickly because we might not have this type of talent again for a while

    Did Byington club Ike and Glenn in the knees on the way to class or something? I’ve been as big a Byington critic as anybody but there’s nothing he did to cause 2 senior starters to be injured.

    I’m frustrated too but I’m frustrated that it looks like we will never see this team really get to be what it could be because of injuries. Hoopster is 100% correct that Ike hasn’t been the same the past 2 years. Now Glenn is hurt too.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Similar Threads

  1. 3 Tickets (Section KK row 9) For NM State and Texas State for Sale.
    By FLA-EAGLE1 in forum Tailgate, Travel and Meeting Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th October 2015, 08:36 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd November 2010, 05:12 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •