TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

1. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    A large number of students were going to have their graduation moved to another city either way.
    Not really.

Armstrong is not big.

And really-what other schools have done anything like this? Moved entire colleges’ graduations to a satellite campus of a smaller school which was absorbed?

This makes no sense. It’s like UNG moving graduations to some commuter satellite in an industrial park-which they didn’t do, because it would be stupid.

Moving entire programs to Sav arbitrarily is just straight boneheaded. Just a move to give some admins a participation trophy-a very expensive one for many families who have no interest in downtown Savannah

2. Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

I'm pretty sure UWG makes their UWG-Newnan students graduate at the main campus

and UGA-Griffin students graduate in Athens

and GT-Savannah students graduate in Atlanta

Default Re: Graduation Ceremonies Moving to Savannah

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    I'm pretty sure UWG makes their UWG-Newnan students graduate at the main campus

and UGA-Griffin students graduate in Athens

and GT-Savannah students graduate in Atlanta
    +1000 This

I somewhat understand the NEED to do what they are doing, but I think it should wait til next year. Doing it now for spring commencement screws a lot of people up that have already figured out their logistics. Leave this year as is, start it next year so when people start to make plans, it's clear from the start what they need to do. Most people with family, etc coming in from out of town have already booked their rooms, etc.

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

just to clarify the Savannah ceremony isn't on the Armstrong campus, it is at the Savannah trade and convention Center which is on the border of South Carolina. Not anywhere close to the Armstrong campus. It's also not just the Statesboro students being Inconvenienced by this. Savannah students will now have to go to Statesboro. I understand trying to give it a more personal feel, but I don't understand why it can't just be broken up into maybe two big ceremonies at Paulson where everyone can still get their name called, but you don't have over 4,000 people going at once. Sure, you may have drama in terms of which ceremony runs on what day and time, but at least everyone will be in one location.
    Doesn't make sense to me to pay for a venue in Savannah if Hanner and Paulson will both already be set up

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    I wonder how many MAJOR large Universities call out every students name at graduation?
    Haven't read the whole thread, but yes multiple small ceremonies by college are how major universities typically do this. I think everyone needs to understand that it's going to become impossible to call every single graduate's name at a graduation ceremony in the Spring as the University continues to grow. I can definitely agree that driving to Savannah from Statesboro for your ceremony doesn't make any sense.

Q: DOESN’T THIS DEVALUE STUDENTS?
    A: This move actually allows us to focus more on our students and their academic achievements. The college ceremonies will heighten the academic distinction students have achieved and allow for recognitions such as Doctoral degree hooding and honors designations.

Q: WHO CAME UP WITH THIS IDEA?
    A: This decision was made after careful study of practices at other universities our size around the country. A committee solicited input from students, faculty and the deans before making a recommendation to the President’s Cabinet.

Might have been better to wait for next year to implement this, as a lot of people had already made plans based on how graduation was normally conducted. Hotels and all have to be done a LONG time prior. In the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty massive change only ~3.5 months out.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    Might have been better to wait for next year to implement this, as a lot of people had already made plans based on how graduation was normally conducted. Hotels and all have to be done a LONG time prior. In the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty massive change only ~3.5 months out.
    Hammer, meet nail...

Scott Guy
    c/o '93 - BS in Computer Science
    Cumming, Ga
    Tailgating in B31

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemark View Post
    Since when does Georgia Southern do what everyone else does? GS has traditions and that is what makes us special. The school, alumni, and fanbase take extreme pride in these traditions. Taking a big tradition away from the school is going to upset lots of folks, which is why you see that online petition have 6,000+ signatures almost instantly.

Two things are rubbing people the wrong way:
    1. Walking across the stage at Paulson is one of these traditions. Taking that away from people will unsurprisingly end up in a lot of bad PR for the school and a big backlash. Rightfully so, as people have the expectation that they will be able to do as their parents, siblings, etc at Georgia Southern did and that is to have their name called at Paulson Stadium and to walk across the stage.
    2. Moving some of the smaller ceremonies to Savannah. Both GS and Armstrong are mad because now Armstrong students (a lot of them) have to come to GS. This is one thing that both Statesboro and Savannah can agree on and people are furious.

I would hope that the school would reverse this. The big black eye is it says "much discussion" occurred. Were any student opinions considered whatsoever?
    No it's not. It's a new tradition. I and many other GSU/GSC walked in Hanner. Honestly as big as we are now, the individual name calling needs to go. It wasn't until around 1999-2000 graduation moved to Paulson.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"