TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: MBB vs Ga St

Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I'd like to second this AND extend it to the "naming" of plays, player nicknames, and similar. I don't understand the fascination people have with having to have a play "named". The Facebook page after the Arkansas State win was full of idiots wanting to name the winning TD play. A large group of us opposed it and tried to explain that names like that just happen and you can't force it... but damn if people couldn't accept that. "The Catch", "The Run", "Son of the Run", "Man Bear Pig"... those names just happened. Nowadays, everyone wants something to be recognized beyond what it deserves.
    The very creative "the run" name was completely forced and it still stuck.

"Put an Eagle 6 on it" was totally forced and the number of people who liked it when Chris Blair left was a lot higher than the number that liked it when he started in 2006.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 7th March 2019 at 08:29 AM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

We have two issues.
    a) getting more students to come to the game.
    b) getting the students their to really get into the game.

If you want to get more students to attend,,,,,,,,Improve the Wifi........That's the age we live in. Improve the wifi and more will come. (Every college has this problem) Kids love their phone/social media more than sports.

Getting the students back in the games. Marketing/GS can do things to help (switch the sides again so the students can see the faces/bench of the team) etc. But that will only help so much.
    It is something that has to be done in house. You need a few crazy students that will go all out (leaders) and others will follow. You get a few crazy students to start things and others will get into it and follow.

Charleston had one of the best student sections back when they played at their old small gym. That was a craziest and hardest place to play back in the day.

Wofford is ranked #22 Coach Young was just name coach of the Year for the SOCON. Another example of having a great program with out paying your coach big bucks, having a big gym and/or having a huge athletic budget

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    great post. But new technology doesn't impact Duke kids or other University student sections that pack/go crazy at their games. But I agree almost 100% with your post, you made me feel younger. I've posted before about my year at Gardner Webb. We PACKED our little gym out. Of course going 25-4 along with having a NBA All-Star in our starting lineup helped(Former Hawk John Drew). But man game day was an experience, when opposing team announced student section ALL standing yelling, "DOG MEAT, DOG MEAT" after each player announced. Then right before GW players introduced a red carpet rolled out, spot light turned on and each GW starter runs out on red carpet. Man those were the days. Since GW are the "running bulldogs", dog meat chant was pretty cool.
    Dang, garns, John Drew . . . now THERE’S a name I haven’t heard in a long time! As a LITTLE kid, I swear I recall that guy scoring like 7 points in the final 8 seconds one time to force a game into overtime for the Hawks back when SuperStation WTBS was regional WTCG. Tree Rollins, Dan Roundfield (Skip Carey called him “Rounds”)-that guy wore like 6 pairs of sweatbands on his arms. I’m getting really old.
    Ever devoted to the twin causes of reason and justice . . . ever at risk of waxing verbose

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    Dang, garns, John Drew . . . now THERE’S a name I haven’t heard in a long time! As a LITTLE kid, I swear I recall that guy scoring like 7 points in the final 8 seconds one time to force a game into overtime for the Hawks back when SuperStation WTBS was regional WTCG. Tree Rollins, Dan Roundfield (Skip Carey called him “Rounds”)-that guy wore like 6 pairs of sweatbands on his arms. I’m getting really old.
    GW was NAIA at the time, a number of years before I got there artus Gilmore played for them. That year I was there, what a team!, we had two 7 footer's a 6'11" forward, Drew and a 6'5" center named Jumping Jim Banks(vertical was 44-45). Red headed point guard from NJ and a scoring guard JUCO All-American from Illinois. What was REALLY crazy, David Thompson, yes THE David Thompson had signed a letter of intent to come to GW(would have been playing alongside Drew) but Norm Sloan of NC State got him at last min. Boy was GW HC, Fast Eddie Holbrook TICKED OFF, he wrote letters to NCAA etc, just ticked off. To this day, the best college basketball team Ive ever watched in person. Drew was AMAZING! He was also a real nice kid, to bad he became a cocaine addict, cut his great NBA career short.

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    Wofford is ranked #22 Coach Young was just name coach of the Year for the SOCON. Another example of having a great program with out paying your coach big bucks, having a big gym and/or having a huge athletic budget
    So you're saying the formula for success is finding a coach who isn't consistent enough to get hired by a program with deeper pockets but has great seasons every once in a while?

It's not like they're winning SoCon championships with several different coaches. They've had Young since 2002, and he had a 90-117 record his first 7 seasons with 4 losing seasons. If we had a coach do that badly and let him stick around that long would you accuse TK of not caring about basketball?
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

7. Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

The number one factor that stifles student involvement is Hanner’s intimate atmosphere. Nobody wants to be the one to stand out. Without a core group of students staying involved in the game, all it takes is one student the sit down before mob mentality kicks in and they all do. Doesn’t help that the easily visible season ticket section across the court also sit down the entire game.

Quote Originally Posted by GATAlac El Dorado View Post
    ironic, West GA beat GW in NAIA Tourney that year. West GA had a guard named Foots Walker who went on and had a solid NBA career.

9. Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

Quote Originally Posted by #1HOOPSTER View Post
    For every one of those examples how many examples would you say their are of successful programs that do pay a Coach well, have nice facilities or adequate budget? 10? 20? 50? 100?

Congrats to Wofford on a great season, but let’s face it, they have just been capitalising on a weak SoCon that has just 3 other programs over .500. In fact, I think they have beaten a total of just 4 D1 teams over .500 all season.

10. Default Re: MBB vs Ga St

Quote Originally Posted by Pike51 View Post
    I'd like to second this AND extend it to the "naming" of plays, player nicknames, and similar. I don't understand the fascination people have with having to have a play "named". The Facebook page after the Arkansas State win was full of idiots wanting to name the winning TD play. A large group of us opposed it and tried to explain that names like that just happen and you can't force it... but damn if people couldn't accept that. "The Catch", "The Run", "Son of the Run", "Man Bear Pig"... those names just happened. Nowadays, everyone wants something to be recognized beyond what it deserves.
    I could be wrong, but I always assumed that was just more for convenience... I mean, “The Run” is much easier and quicker to identify than saying “The 58yd handoff to AP in the 2nd quarter of the 1999 Championship game.”