TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

View Poll Results: What will be our 2019 record in football?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12-0

2 2.04%
  • 11-1

4 4.08%
  • 10-2

11 11.22%
  • 9-3

28 28.57%
  • 8-4

42 42.86%
  • 7-5

9 9.18%
  • 6-6

1 1.02%
  • 5-7

0 0%
  • 4-8

0 0%
  • 3-9 or worse

1 1.02%
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 14151617 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Record PredictionThread

Default Re: 2019 Record PredictionThread

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEYES View Post
    Don’t believe App gets to 9 with a new staff
    They've got very winnable P5 games (they'll likely be favored against UNC) and are returning a ton of starters. It would take a colossal failure by the staff for them to not win 9 games.

2. Default Re: 2019 Record PredictionThread

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    They've got very winnable P5 games (they'll likely be favored against UNC) and are returning a ton of starters. It would take a colossal failure by the staff for them to not win 9 games.
    You mean winnable P5s like 5-7 Ole Miss and returning 89% of their offensive production?

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    You mean winnable P5s like 5-7 Ole Miss and returning 89% of their offensive production?
    This hurt my spirit.
    Cameron Smith
    GS Student 2007-2011
    GS Fanatic 2007-the end of time

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Like I said, colossal. TS was in his own world of failure, and was incredibly unqualified to be a head coach for an FBS program. Drinkwitz was a P5 OC for 3 years and an OC at one of the best G5 programs in Boise. NC State's offense finished in the top 25 nationally in his final two years there. He's qualified and has proven numbers, don't see how he figures out a way to fail.

5. Default Re: 2019 Record PredictionThread

Like I said, colossal. TS was in his own world of failure, and was incredibly unqualified to be a head coach for an FBS program. Drinkwitz was a P5 OC for 3 years and an OC at one of the best G5 programs in Boise. NC State's offense finished in the top 25 nationally in his final two years there. He's qualified and has proven numbers, don't see how he figures out a way to fail.
    Because being an OC doesn't immediately translate to being a Head Coach.

And trying to be a rookie HC and also call plays is a recipe for failure. Monken tried to call plays in 2010. He turned it over to Brent Davis starting at the App game.

And he hired Ted Roof to be his DC.

And he's talking about changing their culture.

There are red flags all over this. That doesn't mean he'll fail, but it's not a slam dunk either. BTW, ideally we want them to go 6-6 and lose a bowl game. How much longer would we have been stuck with Tyson if he makes a bowl in 2016?

Chad Lunsford was none of those things and has turned out to be pretty good at leading a football program.

So, yea....way unknown what's going to happen.

I've seen/heard some statements in the media that made my PTSD trigger though.

7. Default Re: 2019 Record PredictionThread

Wow.
    “When you see someone putting on his Big Boots, you can be pretty sure that an Adventure is going to happen.”
    A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

That's a big stretch there. They could easily regress under their new coaches.

People (including media previews) are overestimating App's talent and underestimating Scott Satterfield. I remember 2 years ago or so when CC Eagle and I were about the only ones saying our corners were better than App's, and now it's pretty much a consensus with Brinson and Vildor taking the advantage in the all-conference spots and both being more on NFL radars than Duck or Hayes. The only reason App's corners were considered better in 2016 and 2017 when these guys were all freshmen and sophomores? One team had much better coaching and schematic continuity.

App fans like to talk about how they don't always draw attention to themselves on signing day but that they get "App guys" that fit their system well, and they're right (you could say the same for us). Of course the downside of that is bringing in a guy with no head coaching experience that may or may not know to get the most out of players. I'd argue that's probably the biggest determinant of a head coach's success (at least initially) at Georgia Southern is being willing and able to build around what you have instead of trying to put a square peg in a round hole. We've seen talented players completely negated every time we've replaced a good coach with a bad one, and we've seen players that didn't do much come out of nowhere when a fired coach is replaced by a competent one.

Based on a lot of things Drinkwitz has said, I don't the vibe he's building around what he inherited at all but is instead tearing it all down and putting his own "culture" there. But even if we ignore all that, regressions of G5 teams after their head coach are very much the rule and not the exception.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.

BVG ran top five defenses at UGA and won the Frank Broyles award as the nation’s top assistant.

Drinkwitz doesn’t have to be another BVG to fall short of nine wins, though. Virtually every G5 team that loses its coach regresses, no matter who they hire.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I would like to point out that App State had Wake Forest at HOME in 2017 and still lost. I'd still put their chances at beating UNC and South Carolina on the road at less than 30%.
    Sean Payne
    Class of 2008 | Graphic Design
    Statesboro, GA

Formerly known as TrueBlueAlum