TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I think Brinson and Vildor will be something to contend with for them.

Definitely the best CBs I have seen us field together.

If those guys have a day, the gophers will have a real bad day.

Especially if our linebackers are better.

This looks to me like a real trap game.

As I posted earlier, in 2018 the Gophers averaged 23 TDs by rushing and 20 TDs by the pass. In 4 of the 6 games they lost their rushing avg. of 170 YPG was cut almost in half. They also score an average of 27 points a game.

If the CBs are as good as you say & the linebackers have developed more then I think you're right. Now the offense has to step up and put up the points. We also have a very good kicker now & that might come in handy if it comes down to the last minute like last years bowl game.
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

These are the 3 best wide receivers the Gophers have

J. Tylor 6'2 200lb Senior
    2018 • JUNIOR SEASON: Started all 13 games • had six 100-yard games, which ranks tied for first in school history in a season and became the first Gopher ever to have four straight 100-yard games in Big Ten play • made 78 catches (second most in a season) for 1,169 yards (single-season school record) and 12 touchdowns (single-season school record) • named First Team All-Big Ten, becoming the first Gopher wideout to receive that honor since 2009

R. Bateman 6'2, 200lb Sopomore
    CAREER: His 51 receptions and 704 yards in 2018 set a Gopher freshman record while his six touchdowns were the second most ever for a Minnesota freshman • caught a career high seven passes three times in 2018 and had a career high 175 receiving yards at Illinois.

C. Bell 6'1 200lb
    2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started nine • made 28 catches (fourth all-time for a Minnesota freshman) for 449 yards (third all-time for a Minnesota freshman) and led the team with a 16.03 yards per catch average

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    I think Brinson and Vildor will be something to contend with for them. Definitely the best CBs I have seen us field together. If those guys have a day, the gophers will have a real bad day. Especially if our linebackers are better. This looks to me like a real trap game.

2 Leading Gopher Running Backs

Mohamed Ibrahim 5'10 205lb
    CAREER: Rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards (second most ever for a Gopher freshman) and nine touchdowns as a freshman in 2018 • rushed for more than 100 yards in five games in 2018 to become the first Gopher freshman to do so since Laurence Maroney (five 100-yard games) in 2003 • set a freshman single-game record with 224 yards against Georgia Tech (most by a Gopher in a single game since Maroney ran for 258 yards against Wisconsin in 2005) in the 2018 Quick Lane Bowl and produced the 12th-best rushing game in school history • his 5.74 yards per carry average ranks fifth all-time in school history (minimum 200 carries) • ranks 42nd on Minnesota’s career rushing list with 1,160 yards despite playing in only 10 games

2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in 10 games (missed three with an injury) and started nine • rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards

Williams
    2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started two • rushed 117 times for 502 yards and four touchdowns • also caught four passes for 64 yards. Game-by-Game: Made his Minnesota and collegiate debut against New Mexico State and rushed nine times for 31 yards and one touchdown • gained 87 yards on 25 carries against Fresno State • rushed 33 times for 141 yards and also caught one pass for 35 yards against Miami • totaled 24 yards on seven carried at Maryland • picked up 28 yards on five carries against Iowa • rushed two times for seven yards and also caught one pass for 14 yards at Ohio State • gained 18 yards on five carries at Nebraska • carried the ball seven times for 17 yards against Indiana • gained 29 yards on five carries at Illinois • rushed nine times for 68 yards and one touchdown against Purdue • competed against Northwestern • rushed eight times for 50 yards and scored two touchdowns in a win at Wisconsin • gained two yards on his lone carry against Georgia Tech.

4. Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

Corners won't matter because the Gophers are going to run it down our throats and then crush us with play action passes. DBs will be out of position all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Corners won't matter because the Gophers are going to run it down our throats and then crush us with play action passes. DBs will be out of position all night.
    Question their Buzz
    Who are the 2 GSU corner backs that JC is talking about and how would you rate them?

Quote Originally Posted by TALON View Post
    Question their Buzz
    Who are the 2 GSU corner backs that JC is talking about and how would you rate them?

GSUs top 5 rushing backs vs Gophers for 2018

(RB) W. Fields 1050 total yards, 9 TDs
    (QB) S. Werts - 908 total yards, 15 TDs
    (RB) M. Gerrett - 515 yards, 5 TDs
    (WR) W. Kennedy - 490 yards, 3 TDs
    ((RB) L. Right - 308 yards,, 3 TDs

Total 3461 rushing yards - 35 TDs by rushing
    The rushing yards were a little low last year but it was under a new head coach & staff.

Gophers Top Rushers

2 Leading Gopher Running Backs

Mohamed Ibrahim 5'10 205lb
    CAREER: Rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards (second most ever for a Gopher freshman) and nine touchdowns as a freshman in 2018 • rushed for more than 100 yards in five games in 2018 to become the first Gopher freshman to do so since Laurence Maroney (five 100-yard games) in 2003 • set a freshman single-game record with 224 yards against Georgia Tech (most by a Gopher in a single game since Maroney ran for 258 yards against Wisconsin in 2005) in the 2018 Quick Lane Bowl and produced the 12th-best rushing game in school history • his 5.74 yards per carry average ranks fifth all-time in school history (minimum 200 carries) • ranks 42nd on Minnesota’s career rushing list with 1,160 yards despite playing in only 10 games

2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in 10 games (missed three with an injury) and started nine • rushed 202 times for 1,160 yards

Williams
    2018 • FRESHMAN SEASON: Played in all 13 games and started two • rushed 117 times for 502 yards and four touchdowns •

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    Buzz you say the Gophers will run it down our throats? I don't think so!

I think our linebackers can take care Williams & Ibrahim rushing and if our defensive CBs can use a cover 2 then we are more than fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

I think our linebackers can take care Williams & Ibrahim rushing and if our defensive CBs can use a cover 2 then we are more than fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I think our LBs (and defense in general) will be solid.

Sloan knows his stuff.

9. Default Re: And some say we really don't have a chance against Gophers

LBs won't matter when our defensive line is being pushed 2-3 yards off the ball. I know I've said it multiple times now, but they have the largest offensive line in the country, and we are obviously undersized opposite of them. They're going to come at us exactly like they did with Tech, who also had an undersized line. They ran the ball 43 times against them, and Tech could not stop them. With both teams keeping the ball on the ground, the clock bled and Tech only got 8 possessions.

Obviously we have a chance, but our offense is going to have to be near perfect to stay in the game, because their chances will be very limited given the high probability that Minnesota will have great success on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    LBs won't matter when our defensive line is being pushed 2-3 yards off the ball. I know I've said it multiple times now, but they have the largest offensive line in the country, and we are obviously undersized opposite of them. They're going to come at us exactly like they did with Tech, who also had an undersized line. They ran the ball 43 times against them, and Tech could not stop them. With both teams keeping the ball on the ground, the clock bled and Tech only got 8 possessions.

Obviously we have a chance, but our offense is going to have to be near perfect to stay in the game, because their chances will be very limited given the high probability that Minnesota will have great success on the ground.
    Largest ≠ Best

LSU's line can probably push ours around, but Minnesota's can't. We've actually got ourselves a pretty good defensive line.
    Last edited by BillyBob; 28th May 2019 at 01:17 PM.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

Regarding football Scheduling.