TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: More Transfer Portal fun.....

1. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    You act like there is no expense or investment from the program or the school.

You also pretend the kids are not being well-compensated. Many degrees now are a couple hundred grand-all expenses considered. And some schools carry insurance policies for certain NFL bound players which pay tens of millions of they get injured and can’t play or don’t go in the draft at a certain level.

I actually like idea of paying them directly, too. It’s not right that some programs make so much money, and the kids don’t get paid something beyond a scholarship.

BUT that payment should be in the form of a trust that the player can’t touch until he graduates. And if he transfers or fails to graduate, his share should be divided amongst the rest of the players.

That would be a nice down payment for a house for all graduates, and would probably be a house (or two) for those at larger schools.

But transfer, or fail to graduate and that school owes you not a cent.
    Compared to the payoff? If I invest a dollar and get $100 back for each $1 I invest I would do it too. That's essentially what is happening at these top tier universities. The only reason they have these facilities (which are nicer than a lot of pro facilities - aka they are unnecessary) is due to the fact of these insane payouts.

Let me put it in a corporate way --- Amazon made $11 billion in profit last year. $11 billion... they also raised minimum wage to $15 per hour to PROTECT their investment they had made in their employees.

In college athletics, the price of a degree has grown by 500% from 1990 until today, yet the amount of revenue has grown from $9.765 million average for a D-1A school to $68.6 million average - in 2016 (and we all know it's grown since then). (PS - if you ever want to look that stuff up: http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...ports-division) A whopping 700% increase.

But it's not about the increase - the fact is that if I go to school on (almost) any other type of scholarship - I can carry a full time job throughout the year --- yet I cannot do that on an athletic scholarship. And the place where I make that extra time commitment makes more off my back than ANY OTHER JOB OUT THERE would.

Summation - Sorry that I don't feel bad for the school when a kid leaves. They aren't being "well-compensated" for the amount of value they are bringing. At any other job if you brought in millions of dollars for your company, you would be looking for more than tuition reimbursement I'm guessing?
    Jordan Wilson
    @ GSU from 2005-2008
    KSU c/o 2012 Computer Science

Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    we are raising kids based off of instant gratification.
    They were not born this way, they were raised this way. Blame the parents. Did children beg parents for participation trophies? No some adults said everyone is a winner.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

3. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    You must take it really hard when a coach leaves before his contract is up then.
    So he shouldn’t??

Fritz hosed us good.

4. Default Re: More Transfer Portal fun.....

I agree the NCAA opening the floodgates along with the Gen-Z instant gratification are the roots of this phenomenon, but the outcome isn't necessarily bad. Sometimes a coach who promised a recruit playing time will even leave the very next season before that player gets a chance to see the field. In a perfect world, talent would be evenly distributed among the 130 FBS schools. That's not the case though.

Take Ivan Corbin transferring from GS as an example. He was buried on the depth chart. Everyone knows Shai is going to be QB1. There's no reason why he shouldn't be allowed to play somewhere else. Even if he did want to wait here and compete for the job, he would graduate with Shai and therefore not get the opportunity.

So some of our players lower on the depth chart leave which frees up scholarships and we in turn get P5 players like JD King who come here looking for the same thing that those other players left for.

The system correcting itself.

Interrupting your tired millennial/Gen Z bash fest here to remind everyone that the impetus of this thread was to knock some kid for deciding he wanted to play football at another school. That’s all you know. You do not know that it’s bc of the conclusions that you’ve jumped too (doesn’t want to wait his turn, is lazy, only wants instant gratification). Whatever the young man’s reason for going to another school I wish him the best.

If it was about the playing time, then why did Corbin come here (without a scholarship) from some place called Limestone, where he actually saw the field?

Did he think that GS gave him a better opportunity as a football player?

And I’m not sure how he doesn’t just slink away after having been arrested twice in the past two months.

In short, I’m struggling to see how he was an asset to our program or how his college peregrinations reveal a pattern of doing right by himself as an athlete.

And the reporting is weird. Oh, he asked Lunsford’s permission, eh?

“Coach, you know how I got arrested again? Well, I’m just a walk-on, but can I put my name in the transfer portal? If I don’t find a better opportunity, can I come back to the team?”

WTH?
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I think publicly they just tried to handle it with as much grace as possible.

Also there are a lot of players that maybe realize that they CAN'T compete whether they want to or not. College athletics is advancing to the point of being similar to the NFL where levels of separation are obvious. Sure a guy might've been big dog at whatever high school but throw him in with four or five other big dogs going after the same bone..... Wanting to compete is honorable and all that but there's nothing wrong in my eyes with someone saying "Ooooh.....this is not what I thought it was gonna be. I might be in over my head."

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post

Also there are a lot of players that maybe realize that they CAN'T compete whether they want to or not. College athletics is advancing to the point of being similar to the NFL where levels of separation are obvious. Sure a guy might've been big dog at whatever high school but throw him in with four or five other big dogs going after the same bone..... Wanting to compete is honorable and all that but there's nothing wrong in my eyes with someone saying "Ooooh.....this is not what I thought it was gonna be. I might be in over my head."

+1

Quote Originally Posted by yourmother View Post

I agree with that in general. My comments are restricted to Corbin. I guess I was surprised by how disappointed Jaudon seemed on his podcast yesterday when he discussed Corbin’s defection.

It’s just a strange situation, IMO.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
    There is another side to this though. While what you say here is true, there are a lot of kids now that leave when they do not get their way. However, there are some kids that just aren't good enough to be where they are because coaches telling them whatever it takes and no matter how hard they compete they'll never make it higher up on the depth chart. Sure they could stay and finish their education and be buried on the depth chart but if they could still get a good education at another place and play then why not.

Don't get me wrong, I'll all about working to get what you want and you shouldn't just expect things to be handed to you but sometimes you have to honest with yourself and realize its time to move on and earn your spot somewhere else.
    It's not the coach's fault if they are not good enough to start. If you want to transfer, fine... follow the rules you agreed to when you signed your LOI and sit one year.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive