TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

1. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    Isn’t this what we all really care about anyways?

Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Isn’t this what we all really care about anyways?
    Yep. This committee is supposed to have a decision by October. Assuming it goes the way we want you’ll probably have a new game by 2021.

Madden has the ability to play with a few college teams in a new mode this fall. When that was announced you could finally see an end to our national nightmare. Wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t already low key working on the basics of a new game now.

3. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    Yep. This committee is supposed to have a decision by October. Assuming it goes the way we want you’ll probably have a new game by 2021.

Madden has the ability to play with a few college teams in a new mode this fall. When that was announced you could finally see an end to our national nightmare. Wouldn’t shock me if they weren’t already low key working on the basics of a new game now.
    Back in 2014, EA was still working on the next installment and were just removing the NCAA logos and trademarks. That was until entire conferences pulled out and refused to allow their logos in the game. Even if the NCAA passes this, there may still be conferences that refuse to be in the game as a way to not have to pay their players.

Quote Originally Posted by kdarnell233 View Post
    Back in 2014, EA was still working on the next installment and were just removing the NCAA logos and trademarks. That was until entire conferences pulled out and refused to allow their logos in the game. Even if the NCAA passes this, there may still be conferences that refuse to be in the game as a way to not have to pay their players.
    Yep. The Big Ten is the only major conference not featured in Maddens new mode. However the Commish of the Big Ten is on this committee and one has to assume that if this goes through allowing compensation for play likenesses then the Big Ten would no longer be a hold out for future games.

Quote Originally Posted by GSU08 View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this works.

I'm thinking they would only allow them to be paid through merchandise sales. If they open it up to anything, then the local guy that owns 10 car dealerships around alabama will be offering to pay a recruit $200k to be in a tv spot for 2 seconds. It would essentially make it easier for boosters to bribe kids to go to their school. Sure, it already happens, but this just makes it easier.
    That's exactly why students athletes are not allowed the work. You had guys getting paid wages 4+ times the normal salary for jobs, and in some cases they were not working at all but were getting paid.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    That's exactly why students athletes are not allowed the work. You had guys getting paid wages 4+ times the normal salary for jobs, and in some cases they were not working at all but were getting paid.
    Right, this could be a real Pandora's box.

I thought the answer to the game, Jersey sales, etc. Issues was to simply put a clause into all scholarship acceptance "contracts" that released the rights to all their likenesses, #s etc/etc. Without that, no scholarship. Seems pretty simple to me.
    I figured it'd take a max six years to get all players already in the system (redshirt, medical, etc) to get processed out while all new scholarship offers would include the clause.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Right, this could be a real Pandora's box.

I thought the answer to the game, Jersey sales, etc. Issues was to simply put a clause into all scholarship acceptance "contracts" that released the rights to all their likenesses, #s etc/etc. Without that, no scholarship. Seems pretty simple to me.
    I figured it'd take a max six years to get all players already in the system (redshirt, medical, etc) to get processed out while all new scholarship offers would include the clause.

Scholarships are a 1 year deal still right? Unless that’s changed the it would be immediate.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Scholarships are a 1 year deal still right? Unless that’s changed the it would be immediate.
    Correct. This is not a widely known fact.

I remember Spurrier catching some heat when he didn’t renew some scholarships at S.C. his first year on the job.

9. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Thread title is incorrect....

Should read:

’NCAA considers new ways to get at more money for itself.’

This ain’t about the players at all. It’s about a way to figure out how the NCAA can get its maximum cut.... I bet those crooks will get some kind of commission for acting as agents for the players in some fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
    Thread title is incorrect....

Should read:

’NCAA considers new ways to get at more money for itself.’

This ain’t about the players at all. It’s about a way to figure out how the NCAA can get its maximum cut.... I bet those crooks will get some kind of commission for acting as agents for the players in some fashion.
    Agree.