TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    I wish there was a way to force the NFL to create a farm system like MLB. All the 5 stars and many others would be off the table and more parity would exist. G5 schools will field teams from time to time that challenge the Top 10 and their coach will be poached soon after.
    Schools like GS are challenged with educating its immediate market about the existence of themselves while media conglomerates discuss the same 30 schools for hours on TV, radio, print, and internet.
    The NFL gets players developed and many state taxpayers subsidize the process.
    I've liked GS football for years because it's TRUE college football. Most of the players are at the end of their football careers.
    It's OK that G5 and FCS exist. It's still fun. Keeping up with the Rockefellers is a fantasy.
    Mostly agree.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    A NFL farm system wouldn’t create a single bit of parity in college football. It would just make the overall product much worse. If all the 5* and high 4* kids went to a NFL developmental league then UGA vs Alabama becomes what South Carolina vs Miss St currently is. And South Carolina vs Miss St becomes what Ga Southern vs App St currently is. And Ga Southern vs App St becomes what Furman vs Elon currently is. And on down the line until you have D3 games that are nothing but a bunch of kids who are barely good enough to play intramural football.
    Football would be like baseball. More like high school in scheme than the NFL which is way more entertaining. Football and, to a lesser extent, basketball are the only college sports where the best aren't already pro. I don't think GS football would suffer. We had crowds 30 years ago playing UTC that match what we have now playing Troy.
    It would hurt the P5 to the point where there would be no P5 because the NFL farm league would be on TV in their place.

There would also be more opportunity for college kids to play football.

My only take on this issue is that a person's likeness, image, name, etc., is no different that a company's intellectual capital. It is theirs and theirs alone (even though in the case of the company that IC was most likely developed by one or more of its employees). That person/owner of said intellectual capital/likeness/image/name, etc., should be free to profit from it as they see fit, but understand that the moment they profit from it they are by definition 'professional', and therefore no longer allowed to compete as amateurs. I may be wrong but Bobby Jones didn't take a dollar from his golfing 'career' until after he retired as an amateur golfer. To take money for a rendered service of any kind makes one a professional...plain and simple.

Oh, and there's the inescapable fact that would the NCAA allow college athletes to profit from their name and likeness, they'd have to have a percentage of the til just to 'enforce' the rules and regs. Leeches...

Bob Frye
    GSU fan since 2011
    ...father to a former Eagle great...
    husband to the mother of that former Eagle great...
    and I will have my vengence, in this life or the next!

EKU class of 1984 Ind. Electronics Technology

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I have my doubts about that. I'm not denying Alabama and UGA would still get their first pick of players. But as you get farther and farther from the highest ability level you have significantly more people. The overwhelming majority of NFL draftees are three or four-star guys because there's a whole lot more of them.

I would also argue the existence of the minor leagues in baseball makes it possible for Coastal Carolina to win a national championship and for UL Lafayette to make two super regionals (basically the Sweet 16 of baseball) in a row. If the best high school baseball players went to college instead of the minors it would have far less parity.

I would argue that it’s not the existence of minor leagues that make it possible for a CCU to win but several other factors. First and foremost...they have a chance. Second is the breaking up of scholarships. It’s not a 1:1 ratio so if they really want a kid they might be able to offer more scholarship money than a “bigger school”. And the last is popularity. There is a VAST difference in the amount of people watching an Alabama, LSU, UGA, Notre Dame, Clemson, etc football game than a CCU or ULL football game. That’s not the case for baseball.

I understand what you are saying and even myself I have said multiple times that when we play these P5 teams we usually lose because of the difference in our top 10 players vs their top 10. I just don’t think the gap would be closed that much to matter. I could see the gap being closed a lot between a Alabama and Arkansas though.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Stop putting thUGA alongside Alabama. Put them alongside with their kin. South Carolina and the likes.
    If you are going to troll atleast be good at it. Buzz can you teach this rube a thing or two please?
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Yes, that is my argument. It's the deal everyone signs up for. Nobody is forced into servitude. Anyone who doesn't like the rules is welcome to choose a different life path.

A lot of companies make millions off the "sweat and talent" of others too. You know what that does? It makes some people strive to be the CEO of the company. Others sit around and whine about not getting their fair share. I have seen many of both types of people and I can tell you which ones typically find happiness in life.
    + 1000
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

7. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    If you are going to troll atleast be good at it. Buzz can you teach this rube a thing or two please?
    That's a lost cause my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    I agree with the idea that the scholarship is already compensation... however, no player should be barred from using their OWN likeness to make money. The NCAA can still make plenty of $$$ without putting this restriction on players.

The amateurism idea is dead I think.
    The problem that I see with it is that there is no way to enforce it. If big donor wants player X to go to his school, he just buys 3000 of the player's jerseys or autographs or whatever.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

9. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Yeah, college football would be just as good if the MLB model was applied. The NFL isn't going to create a minor league so technically they only need to open up the OPPORTUNITY for kids to get drafted at 18. Then you can make a legitimate argument that kids do have the opportunity to make a living playing pro football, but they aren't good enough so they then have the choice to go play "amateur" ball to get bigger, faster, stronger or just give up on football.

That way the NFL can draft the 0.01% freaks of nature that are ready for pro ball out of HS (it wouldn't be many) and the rest would voluntarily choose college as their only realistic chance.

Right now the NFL has effectively created a bogus barrier to entry that FORCES the best athletes in the world to go play CFB and risk injury when they don't need it.

Mind you.. we're only talking the elite of the elite here. Only the 5 star recruits would probably even SNIFF NFL draft boards let alone actually be drafted.

That's like what...25-30 kids a year? Max.

Even if the NFL had a paid minor league, a lot of kids wouldn't choose it because the competition, experience, and atmosphere probably still wouldn't compare to P5 college ball...but at least they'd have a CHOICE.

I can assure you that there are tons of kids that think it's more valuable to play ACC, Pac12, SEC baseball compared to riding around on busses making **** money to play in the minor leagues.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 20th May 2019 at 03:29 PM.

10. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    The problem that I see with it is that there is no way to enforce it. If big donor wants player X to go to his school, he just buys 3000 of the player's jerseys or autographs or whatever.
    And you know what...I think I'm fine with that.

The 25 scholarship limit effectively creates a salary cap then.

Yeah, you may be bribing all of your kids to come, but at the end of the day you're only getting 25 of them. There are more than enough good players to go around.

A kid still has to decide whether it's worth it to get paid $25k under the table to sit on the bench at Alabama or take no money from a school like Vanderbilt where he thinks he can start 3 years and show off his talent. There is more than just short term money at play. Playing time still looms out there as well as other factors.

We see this all the time with guys transferring because ultimately they want to PLAY.