TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    I like the baseball analogy. It doesn’t quite hold together due to roster size differences and scholarship limitations, but I doubt that many college baseball fans spend their time wishing the sport was more like NCAA football.
    I don't doubt that the large roster size compared to the max number of scholarships plays a role.

But compared to football, our best baseball players compare a lot more favorably to UGA's or Alabama's or Floridas best players. You're not going to see a catcher like Luke Berryhill who wasn't playing much as a freshman go to an SEC program that has won national championships and bat cleanup. That's in spite of that most high schools players would take an offer from an SEC program over an SBC if the scholarship level offered as comparable.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    And you know what...I think I'm fine with that.

The 25 scholarship limit effectively creates a salary cap then.

Yeah, you may be bribing all of your kids to come, but at the end of the day you're only getting 25 of them. There are more than enough good players to go around.

A kid still has to decide whether it's worth it to get paid $25k under the table to sit on the bench at Alabama or take no money from a school like Vanderbilt where he thinks he can start 3 years and show off his talent. There is more than just short term money at play. Playing time still looms out there as well as other factors.

We see this all the time with guys transferring because ultimately they want to PLAY.
    You think a kid with little to no education that has been told he is perfect since the first time he picked up a football, that is offered $25K OR MORE! is going to care about playing time or think long term? He's going to use his recruitment to get the biggest pay day he can. He's going to take the money and then transfer after his 1st year anyway and get booster #2 to buy 3000 of his jerseys at the new school.

They know the rules. If they don't want to play by those rules, then they are free to find another way to get a free education.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

The money talk isn't new. A lot of this is what prompted scholarship reductions and regulation through the 1970's including the creation of I-AA.
    The idea of college football being an amateur sport applies to most schools but the P5 elites have a monetary and cultural advantage in place which is reinforced by the propaganda industry.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Eagles_Cliff View Post
    The money talk isn't new. A lot of this is what prompted scholarship reductions and regulation through the 1970's including the creation of I-AA.
    The idea of college football being an amateur sport applies to most schools but the P5 elites have a monetary and cultural advantage in place which is reinforced by the propaganda industry.
    True.

But this would not just bring back the day's of over recruiting. The abuses of the system would run wild. Most kids are going to jump and the first thing that shines.
    Yes players would take the money and sit on the bench. I'll not saying nobody would transfer but it would make it hard to decide to transfer when mom's new house and Dad's new truck are being paid for by your "likeness" on a video game or billboard. The p5 would essentially have an endless supply of non scholarship Scholarships, as deep as their alumni's pockets run. If anyone believes that THAT wouldn't impact G5 rosters, then I'll just have to believe they are crazy. Let this pass and see how hard it is to get a guy to come here when he might could start, or go try to get playing time where he can get paid. See how deep the p5 rosters get. No thanks.

I love how you guys are acting like:

1) There will be no rules or regulations to anything

2) P5’s are going to be having their boosters pumping money into getting “fringe” players. Yeah, UGA is going to focus on giving money to the 3*’s so they don’t go to Ga Southern while losing 5*’s because that’s where Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, etc are “spending” their money.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

I honestly dont care if they make money off players likenesses or not, give me a roster full of Joe Schmoe's and accurate uniforms, fight songs and stadiums and bring NCAA Football back!

Quote Originally Posted by half-n-half View Post
    I love how you guys are acting like:

1) There will be no rules or regulations to anything

2) P5’s are going to be having their boosters pumping money into getting “fringe” players. Yeah, UGA is going to focus on giving money to the 3*’s so they don’t go to Ga Southern while losing 5*’s because that’s where Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, etc are “spending” their money.
    Regulation would be a nightmare.

There is a reason scholarship limits needed to be imposed.

The deepest pocketed programs will stack/stock more talent, more five/4 stars will congregate where more money is. Programs like UGA and the elites would definitely do this to keep players away from other teams. They've done it before, they'd do it again.

The less $ programs (still with more $ than us) will stock as many players as they can afford at the highest level they can get.

It would/could have a significant impact on us and widen the gap.

8. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

How many players' images and likenesses would be valuable without their college jersey on their shoulders? The average person wouldn't recognize Kyler Murray or RJ Barrett without the jersey... not to mention Shai freaking Werts. Maybe a local audience or a sports focused audience would, if you gave the player a ball and put them on a field or court for context. So... when marketing likenesses, do they get to include their college logo? If not, how much endorsement money is really out there for more than just a handful of very famous players, like Zion or Trevor Lawrence. Can't wait to see Calvin Wishart selling box springs for Deal's.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    How many players' images and likenesses would be valuable without their college jersey on their shoulders? The average person wouldn't recognize Kyler Murray or RJ Barrett without the jersey... not to mention Shai freaking Werts. Maybe a local audience or a sports focused audience would, if you gave the player a ball and put them on a field or court for context. So... when marketing likenesses, do they get to include their college logo? If not, how much endorsement money is really out there for more than just a handful of very famous players, like Zion or Trevor Lawrence. Can't wait to see Calvin Wishart selling box springs for Deal's.
    It's not the "legitimate" ads and deals that would be the problem. It would be the unscrupulous booster or coach that uses the ability to compensate the player as the loophole to pay them to come to their school. An example I used earlier was buying a couple thousand of the player's jerseys. Or buying an autograph for a huge amount. If you allow ANY payment that is not specifically controlled, then you open up huge opportunities for malfeasance.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    It's not the "legitimate" ads and deals that would be the problem. It would be the unscrupulous booster or coach that uses the ability to compensate the player as the loophole to pay them to come to their school. An example I used earlier was buying a couple thousand of the player's jerseys. Or buying an autograph for a huge amount. If you allow ANY payment that is not specifically controlled, then you open up huge opportunities for malfeasance.
    You think the NCAA would approve NIL payments without any limits?