TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    You think the NCAA would approve NIL payments without any limits?
    I'm not saying what they will and won't approve. I'm saying whatever rules that are put on it will be broken and manipulated to find an advantage. Just like every other rule they have.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    It's not the "legitimate" ads and deals that would be the problem. It would be the unscrupulous booster or coach that uses the ability to compensate the player as the loophole to pay them to come to their school. An example I used earlier was buying a couple thousand of the player's jerseys. Or buying an autograph for a huge amount. If you allow ANY payment that is not specifically controlled, then you open up huge opportunities for malfeasance.
    I'm trying to figure out how paying players to come to a school under the table would be something that would be a NEW abuse of the system.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...-man-interview

Quote Originally Posted by Gsuwinsudont View Post
    You think the NCAA would approve NIL payments without any limits?

Like i said a bunch of people acting like NCAA isn’t going to have set rules and regulations with this. A bunch of people in here acting like the NCAA is going to make it a free for all and allow a booster to give Jake Fromm $100,000 for his autograph.

There are already NCAA rules making it illegal to pay players for a job that they don’t do. Already rules in place about how much you can pay them for legit work they do. But no according to some around here the NCAA is about to just tear all that up and say “have at it” apparently.
    Last edited by half-n-half; 21st May 2019 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by NO_QUARTER View Post
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Regulation would be a nightmare.

There is a reason scholarship limits needed to be imposed.

The deepest pocketed programs will stack/stock more talent, more five/4 stars will congregate where more money is. Programs like UGA and the elites would definitely do this to keep players away from other teams. They've done it before, they'd do it again.

The less $ programs (still with more $ than us) will stock as many players as they can afford at the highest level they can get.

It would/could have a significant impact on us and widen the gap.

Unless I’m missing something I don’t think the NCAA is planning to do away with scholarship and/or roster size limitations.
    I actually considered getting into a debate with Half one time (on something unimportant). But then chickened out because I knew my a$$ was about to get handed to me.

5. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    You think a kid with little to no education that has been told he is perfect since the first time he picked up a football, that is offered $25K OR MORE! is going to care about playing time or think long term? He's going to use his recruitment to get the biggest pay day he can. He's going to take the money and then transfer after his 1st year anyway and get booster #2 to buy 3000 of his jerseys at the new school.

They know the rules. If they don't want to play by those rules, then they are free to find another way to get a free education.
    I think assuming all the players are idiots who can't think long term is a mistake.

6. Default Re: NCAA considers allowing players to profit from their names

The idea that Alabama boosters would pay a bunch of fringe players thousands of dollars to sit on the bench is foolishness. This is even without NCAA limitations.

It simply won't happen. Some of y'all forget how open markets work.

The 5 star/4 star kids will get big $$$ thrown their way. 95% of the rest of the players will get offered some sweet booster $$$ for sure...but not enough for anyone to care.

Again...25 scholarship limit already takes care of this. The NCAA could go even further by limiting roster to 100 kids.

These crazy scenarios y'all think up are easily solved. Let the market play itself out. It makes no difference to me. I have no idea why I'm supposed to care whether some insane booster wants to give his hard earned money to Shai Werts.

I couldn't care any less. If Clemson wants to offer a kid like Shai 25k to play DB and Some GS booster is only offering 10k...who cares. Then you sell him on the opportunity to play QB.

But again...the idea that ANY FBS booster would pay big money for a 2-3 star kid who is marginally recruited to fill out the class... come on.
    Last edited by Buzz Killington; 21st May 2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    The idea that Alabama boosters would pay a bunch of fringe players thousands of dollars to sit on the bench is foolishness. This is even without NCAA limitations.

It simply won't happen. Some of y'all forget how open markets work.

The 5 star/4 star kids will get big $$$ thrown their way. 95% of the rest of the players will get offered some sweet booster $$$ for sure...but not enough for anyone to care.

Again...25 scholarship limit already takes care of this. The NCAA could go even further by limiting roster to 100 kids.

These crazy scenarios y'all think up are easily solved. Let the market play itself out. It makes no difference to me. I have no idea why I'm supposed to care whether some insane booster wants to give his hard earned money to Shai Werts.

I couldn't care any less. If Clemson wants to offer a kid like Shai 25k to play DB and Some GS booster is only offering 10k...who cares. Then you sell him on the opportunity to play QB.

But again...the idea that ANY FBS booster would pay big money for a 2-3 star kid who is marginally recruited to fill out the class... come on.

NCAA already has limitations on how many kids can be in fall camp I think. Like 105. Which if that’s still true then it goes with what you and I have already been saying that teams aren’t going to pay scout team kids when that money could go to lock down a 5*.