TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Pride

Default Re: Southern Pride

Question to the band/former band members:

Do you think that the last few years of pipped in music has had any impact on SP membership?

It was better this past year, but a lot of us have said to "Let the BAND PLAY!" It just gives it more of a college feel rather than an NFL hyped up feel.

How many times did piped in music cut off a starting chant or ongoing cheer by the fans? I remember a lot of times in recent years.

I don't think there is a major issue with the fans not knowing the chants/cheers (the improved Day 1 set up has helped) [I'll concede to you the alma mater]- but those chants/cheers by Eagle fans are sometimes amazingly loud, even at away P5 games. I remember Alabama fan's talking about how much louder our fans were than most of their opponents.

It just seems to me that the fan/Band engagement was being interfered with. Again - it was better last year. But I know I'd have been disappointed to put in all that work to be drowned out or be given limited playing time during the football games. I would also think the band would get some great enjoyment from this engagement with the fans in a Football game atmosphere - that is imop a really cool part of being a member of SP. I know as a fan, I enjoy it from our side. What say you?

2. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Touchdown View Post
    Question to the band/former band members:

Do you think that the last few years of pipped in music has had any impact on SP membership?

It was better this past year, but a lot of us have said to "Let the BAND PLAY!" It just gives it more of a college feel rather than an NFL hyped up feel.

How many times did piped in music cut off a starting chant or ongoing cheer by the fans? I remember a lot of times in recent years.

I don't think there is a major issue with the fans not knowing the chants/cheers (the improved Day 1 set up has helped) [I'll concede to you the Almamater]- but those chants/cheers by Eagle fans are sometimes amazingly loud, even at away P5 games. I remember Alabama fan's talking about how much louder our fans were than most of their opponents.

It just seems to me that the fan/Band engagement was being interfered with. Again - it was better last year. But I know I'd have been disappointed to put in all that work to be drowned out or be given limited playing time during the football games. I would also think the band would get some great enjoyment from this engagement with the fans in a Football game atmosphere - that is imop a really cool part of being a member of SP. I know as a fan, I enjoy it from our side. What say you?
    I don't think the piped in music really affects membership at all. I do think Gameday Ops needs to get better at knowing when and when not to do it. I've said before it's ridiculous to have the Georgia...Southern chant drowned out by an ad or some piped in song. Bands are also used to getting cut off because the band is not permitted to play when the ball is in play, and the time in between plays is always different so as soon as Center gets over the over the ball, the drum major has to cut off the band whether or not they were able to finish the song, so I don't see why being cut off would cause members to quit.

As far as fan engagement, our fans do a good job with simple chants like Georgia...Southern and Hail Southern, but those aren't band chants. I meant chants specifically led by the band like "Go Georgia Southern" and "Move the Chains." Even the "Fight, Fight, Fight" at the end of the fight song.

I couldn't imagine ever getting our fans to do this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXWX6WF..._web_copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    Basically, our band models themselves after drum corps like these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5axJ4NLH_Xw

The only problem is learning a new, intricate show every week is very difficult and it's often going to go unappreciated by the crowd.

Meanwhile, Troy and Jacksonville State are renowned bands that march the same style we do, but only do 1 or 2 shows a year.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd_eiZGwTdU

It's a quantity vs quality debate. We either need to do 6 simple shows with songs people recognize or 1 to 2 big shows with complex drill and music. We're trying to have the best of both worlds.

As far as crowd involvement and being SEC-like, that's entirely up to the crowd to participate. 80% of our fan base doesn't know the words to the alma mater or the fight song, and that's on them. The band does plenty of fanfare and rah-rah, they play songs and cadences in the stands to get the crowd involved. It's up to the fans to care enough to join the band in creating an atmosphere. SEC schools have good atmospheres because their fans actually care enough to learn the chants and traditions.

One thing that SEC bands do that I wish we would start is I want the band at the stadium before the game and before the team arrives. SEC bands throw pep rallies in front of the stadium and split up into small groups to walk through the tailgating lots and perform before going back and playing for the "______ walk" when the team arrives at the stadium. That adds to the whole game day fan fare.

When I did SPMB, we practiced all day on Saturday until about 45 minutes before the game, then marched from the RAC to the stadium and lined up to immediately go on the field to do pregame. Everyone was exhausted before kickoff.
    Did you watch SP this past year?

4. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by EagleTrump View Post
    Did you watch SP this past year?
    I was able to see the Michael Jackson and Military Appreciation shows

I don't think the piped in music really affects membership at all. I do think Gameday Ops needs to get better at knowing when and when not to do it. I've said before it's ridiculous to have the Georgia...Southern chant drowned out by an ad or some piped in song. Bands are also used to getting cut off because the band is not permitted to play when the ball is in play, and the time in between plays is always different so as soon as Center gets over the over the ball, the drum major has to cut off the band whether or not they were able to finish the song, so I don't see why being cut off would cause members to quit.

As far as fan engagement, our fans do a good job with simple chants like Georgia...Southern and Hail Southern, but those aren't band chants. I meant chants specifically led by the band like "Go Georgia Southern" and "Move the Chains." Even the "Fight, Fight, Fight" at the end of the fight song.

I couldn't imagine ever getting our fans to do this: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuXWX6WF..._web_copy_link
    The problem I have is consistency. Play the same thing on first/second/third/repeat for 4th.

We're inconsistent on 2nd down, and we have a couple of things we play on 3rd. Pick something and stick with it....that's the script for during game time. It actually keeps the crowd into it because the song tells them the game situation.

As for what we do on first down....it takes way too damn long. It needs to be condensed down. There's a lot of times it gets cut off because it takes ~30 seconds from start to finish to do the whole thing. Pay attention when we play LSU. Most of what they play in between plays takes about 15 seconds at most. Many of the SEC schools are like that (and FSU/GT from the ACC since I've been to their games). They also don't wait for the official call of a first down (unless it's in doubt) so they have even more time built in for those cases. They also play the same thing in the 4th quarter break. Ops knows it too....so they make sure they have the time they need to do what they're going to do, so the whole experience is integrated together.

Does the band think it's monotonous? Likely at times. But it's an easy script to stick to and lets you spend time being creative during the show to whatever level you want to do. We did something similar when I was in high school but then you had special moments when you played certain things the crowd really enjoyed.

A lot of bands also have that "FU" type song....we used to have Dr Who but they took that away. Neck has been banned so many times at LSU it's not even funny but the band still practices it and it pops up at times. Bama has Rammer Jammer, they also stopped playing Dixieland Delight because of words used in the song but brought it back this past year. There's more at other schools. Yes people complain....but it gets the crowd fired up. It's about feeding the energy in the crowd too.

In fairness, these bands have been doing these things for a long time so it's no wonder they've got it figured out. But there's nothing saying we couldn't do the same thing and model what we do after them.

I really enjoyed the halftime show that was played to the North stands last year....but still my favorite was the classical music show played to that side I think it was in 2002. The student section got LIT.....it was just a powerful presentation and it still sticks out in my memory.

6. Default Re: Southern Pride

Completely agree

7. Default Re: Southern Pride

Another thing that would help crowd involvement would be to have the band where over 50% of the stadium can actually hear it. During the game, the band is field level and plays directly to the South stands. No one in the deck knows the band exists. It's likely muffled or drowned out under the deck too.

Even when I sat in the student section, if you're behind the band at all you can't hear them.

So all the stand music is played almost exclusively to the 8,000 people on the press box side. No wonder the chants don't work out...

8. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    Another thing that would help crowd involvement would be to have the band where over 50% of the stadium can actually hear it. During the game, the band is field level and plays directly to the South stands. No one in the deck knows the band exists. It's likely muffled or drowned out under the deck too.

Even when I sat in the student section, if you're behind the band at all you can't hear them.

So all the stand music is played almost exclusively to the 8,000 people on the press box side. No wonder the chants don't work out...
    The best place to put the band in a stadium for acoustics is in the endzone. Most everyone with endzone seating puts their band either right behind the goal post or in one of the corners. Since we don't have endzone seating, we could also mic up our band like Troy and Georgia State do.

The best place to put the band in a stadium for acoustics is in the endzone. Most everyone with endzone seating puts their band either right behind the goal post or in one of the corners. Since we don't have endzone seating, we could also mic up our band like Troy and Georgia State do.
    We do have endzone seating.

10. Default Re: Southern Pride

A man can dream...