Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Southern Pride

1. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by BullEagle View Post
    We do have endzone seating.
    200 Bishop club seats

2. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueDrew View Post
    SEC bands throw pep rallies in front of the stadium and split up into small groups to walk through the tailgating lots and perform...
    I want to say when I was part of SP (98-01) we did do that. Grant it back then, all the parking was contained right around the stadium so it made it easier. I saw recruiting was mentioned, so does SP travel to any high school marching band competitions and perform? I know Statesboro HS hosted a competition back in the day that would attract 15 + HS bands.

To the original poster, are you aware of any similar type of declines across other G5 university bands or even down at the high school level?

3. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by Klak View Post
    A man can dream...

4. Default Re: Southern Pride

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernEagle2002 View Post
    I saw recruiting was mentioned, so does SP travel to any high school marching band competitions and perform? I know Statesboro HS hosted a competition back in the day that would attract 15 + HS bands.
    We did when I was in SP, and before that when I was in high school we hosted a large competition that would have 20+ big metro-atlanta bands and Southern Pride was there one year to be the exhibition band.

Default Re: Southern Pride

Southern Pride typically performs at one high school band competition per year - last year was at Statesboro High School, and this year it looks like they're going to one hosted by Effingham County High School. They also played at a massive high school band event at the Benz (BOA regionals) last year, and have played at metro Atlanta competitions like the one at Milton High School.

They've also made strides in the funding department, thanks to the "Aging Eagles," and eliminated the fees that used to be associated with performing with Southern Pride.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA

6. Default Re: Southern Pride

So just an honest question, does the SP leadership (be it student or staff) try any recruiting at these events or is it still roll up, perform, roll out. Just seems that if folks are concerned about the participation levels falling, that SP administration would take advantage of a 100% marching band competition.

Again, not casting stones, just generally interested if its really a problem, or more just a "Wow, band looks smaller this year" type thing.

To the original poster, are you aware of any similar type of declines across other G5 university bands or even down at the high school level?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by bfteagle View Post
    To the original poster, are you aware of any similar type of declines across other G5 university bands or even down at the high school level?
    [/QUOTE]

I’m not aware, meaning I don’t know if there has or has not been a decline.

Another question I have for current or recent members is: is there any on-campus recruitment for band members? With a student population the size of ours I would think there are many available.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernEagle2002 View Post
    So just an honest question, does the SP leadership (be it student or staff) try any recruiting at these events or is it still roll up, perform, roll out. Just seems that if folks are concerned about the participation levels falling, that SP administration would take advantage of a 100% marching band competition.

Again, not casting stones, just generally interested if its really a problem, or more just a "Wow, band looks smaller this year" type thing.
    I know the directors and GAs have made school visits and set up booths at competitions before. This is purely an outsider's perspective, but I think that numbers aren't a concern, and are merely a result of turnover. If the band isn't much bigger two or three years from now, then it might be time to worry.
    Zach Towery
    Bachelor of Music 2009
    Master of Music 2012
    Reidsville, GA