TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EagleWrath and the Shotgun Triple not the Pistol Option - NO, NO, No

Default EagleWrath and the Shotgun Triple not the Pistol Option - NO, NO, No

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    We've been down this road before. We've given you plenty to read and look at. It's not like we're all sitting on some encyclopedia of all this. A lot of what we've learned we Googled and found on our own, or spent time to find games coached by these different coaches.

You also don't seem to have followed that DeBesse was hired at SHSU when Fritz took over. They put together the offense there and DeBesse was his OC for 2 years before going to New Mexico. Ruse took over that offense (which was unlike what he ran before) when he took over as OC and although he tweaked some things, it was fundamentally the same. Then Fritz (with Ruse) came here and used the same offense.

It was never the "pistol option." It's a shotgun triple option if you had to put any name to it. Even more simple, we run triple option.

If you want to watch a "pistol option" then you need to find some video of Colin Kaepernick when he was QB at Nevada under Chris Ault....cause that's what they ran. Watch that and you'll see a true pistol offense.
    ER- "**We've been down this road before**. We've given you plenty to read and look at. It's not like we're all sitting on some encyclopedia of all this. A lot of what we've learned we Googled and found on our own, or spent time to find games coached by these different coaches. It was never the "pistol option." It's a shotgun triple option if you had to put any name to it. Even more simple, we run triple option."

I'm sorry if you and others on the flit line gave me sites to explore the Shotgun Option with diagrams and an and reason of the called play and why it is called. I really have to study the diagrams before I see the videos. AS far as people on the flite line giving me that type of information, I cant recall that for which I asked. Maybe it was because I called the offense the Fritz Pistol Option which no one refuted me on the term last year or 5 years ago.

TALON - I should call this thread "TERMINALOGY" !

**TALON - Interesting EagleWrath. Maybe you don't remember what the posters on the Flite Line called Fritz's offense when he was first brought on board as our new HC. MOST of the posters on the Flite Line used the term Pistol Option and that even went into Fritz's 2nd year.

*****(I LEARNED THE TERM (PISTIOL OPTION) FROM POSTERS ON THE FLITE LINE!!!!!) I guess if I was given the correct name for the offense Fritz ran when Fritz first started at GSU I would have had a heads up! Then again maybe not. I wanted a PJ style Spread Option.

Now I knew a good amount of history on what PJ use the call the Spread Triple Option or Flex Option. I even know who and where the basic trick play that was to be developed into PJs Spread Triple Option was designed, in the 1970s, the collage & the coach that first drew it up. The Flex was drawn up as a supplemental play with the formation to be used as a Passing offense & with the triple option as a trick play.

Do you know the team & coach that first drew up a Triple Option scheme to be run from a QB under center, a Fullback, 2 slot backs backs and 2 wide receivers. The basic trick play was developed into a full offensive scheme latter on. EW , do you know the first head coach & team to turn that trick play into a full offensive scheme with supplemental plays??????????????

Now EagleWrath , maybe you have done as much research on the (Shot Gun Triple Option} as I have on the Wish Bone Triple Option or PJ's Spread Triple Option. I found my information on the Wishbone from a GREAT book that was written in the Mid 70's. I then looked at sites they called the Spread Triple Option for coaches and it was not
    called,at the time, Flex Option sites. Most of the coaches were high school coaches and used a lot of GSU film or drawings. EagleWrath, you comming from GSU. which is it, the Ham Bone, Flex Option or Spread Triple Option?

If you look back, on the Flite Line, at the PJ era I knew a lot more about the Wish Bone and PJs Spread than you did.

Maybe if you read some of my posts starting I 1998,you can remember what I said. Now instead of being a know it all maybe you could become a teacher also. Just drop the attitude!
    GSU Spread Option FOOTBALL - out weighed, but never outplayed

Default Re: EagleWrath and the Shotgun Triple not the Pistol Option - NO, NO, No

EagleWraith- "**We've been down this road before**. We've given you plenty to read and look at. It's not like we're all sitting on some encyclopedia of all this. A lot of what we've learned we Googled and found on our own, or spent time to find games coached by these different coaches. It was never the "pistol option." It's a shotgun triple option if you had to put any name to it. Even more simple, we run triple option."

TALON - I'm sorry if you and others on the Flight Line gave me sites to explore on the Pistol Option instead of the (Shotgun Option) with diagrams and and the reason or purpose of the play. I was not corrected on the term Pistol Option. (In one of my posts this year I asked for recommendations on a coaching book I could read to better understand "GSUs Offense." As I remember I didn't get a reply. I really have to study the diagrams before I see the videos. AS far as people on the flite line giving me that type of information, I cant recall that for which I asked. Maybe it was because I called the offense the Fritz Pistol Option which no one refuted me on the term last year or 5 years ago.

No need to throw your Wrath on TALON for a long time misunderstanding.

Default Re: EagleWrath and the Shotgun Triple not the Pistol Option - NO, NO, No

In all honesty, I'm just not going to engage in this debate anymore.

We've actually had this same conversation before, not even 2 months ago, in a thread you started.

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthre...172#post956172

Start there, there's plenty of discussion about what a pistol is and isn't as well as what our offense does as well as video.

Hell some of the stuff in that thread YOU provided, including that really well done analysis from 2014 that had been posted a while back (but is never a bad thing to talk about).

In all honesty, I'm just not going to engage in this debate anymore.

We've actually had this same conversation before, not even 2 months ago, in a thread you started.

https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthre...172#post956172

Start there, there's plenty of discussion about what a pistol is and isn't as well as what our offense does as well as video.

Hell some of the stuff in that thread YOU provided, including that really well done analysis from 2014 that had been posted a while back (but is never a bad thing to talk about).
    Please read the Page that you posted me on the thread that I started and the thread itself. Look at the different names that were given for what Fritz brought in and what its name has now become.

How about the Ruse Option? No need to debate this, no need to be made at me. You've given me some of what I need to know.

THANKS TALON!

First Post under the thread

Post 1 TALON - Not Many articles on what college teams use the (****Pistol Option)*** I found this one with GSU on the 2rd page. I found a few more with blocking, the run & passing game, but have to re look them up again..

Post 7 EagleWrath -It's not as bad if you snap the ball a bit quicker.We still need to snap the ball faster all around. Way too many times we're in position and sit way too long.

I'd also like to see us lined up more consistently with 20+ seconds left on the play clock so we're not scrambling to get into position.....and then having to wait a long time for the snap to happen.

In post # 7 you did not correct me on using the term Pistol Option as GSUs offense. If you find anybody that did including yourself please post me the page. I dont think you will really want to do that because it would be very time consuming and really not necessary to prove my point.

"I like your posts ER" so I really don't understand why you picked this post to declare war on TALON. I really think this is nonsense!

THANKS

TALON

K.

Call it what you want. I'm beyond the point of caring anymore.

Not paying attention moving forward, I've got too much other stuff to concern myself with than a relentless argument on this board that drags out forever. I should have known better than to say anything in the first place.

Have fun.

K.

Call it what you want. I'm beyond the point of caring anymore.

Not paying attention moving forward, I've got too much other stuff to concern myself with than a relentless argument on this board that drags out forever. I should have known better than to say anything in the first place.

Have fun.
    D-

I'm now calling the 2019 GSU offense the (Shotgun Triple Option) as you have clued me in to do so. Again if you look back at all the threads I posted on the Flight Line I dont believe I was ever corrected when I called our offense the Pistol Option! Like I said, their is no need to get pissed off at me when many of our fans called our offense the pistol option.

If you need a snazzy name, just call it the “triple option with a zone-read base.”

Or maybe “gun option.” (puke)

Labels aren’t particularly useful, anyhow. “Flexbone” is kind of a misnomer for PJ’s offense, as that’s properly a formation in other coaches’ wishbone-dominant offenses (see DeBerry and Hatfield).

PJ’s much closer (as usual) in calling it the “spread option,” though the most useful label for the broadcast world might have been “spreadbone.”

Anyways, EagleWrath is right.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

I think it was the App game last year where one of the ESPN guys was calling the Paul Johnson variant of the option "the triple option" and the Fritz/DeBesse variant the "spread option". The nomenclature has become so laughably useless.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob View Post
    I think it was the App game last year where one of the ESPN guys was calling the Paul Johnson variant of the option "the triple option" and the Fritz/DeBesse variant the "spread option". The nomenclature has become so laughably useless.
    I think we should tell high school QBs and WRs that we run the “spread option,” just like Ohio State and Clemson.

I once heard a broadcaster strongly denying PJ’s terminology of “spread option.” As he was talking, Tech was running insanely wide OL splits and had WRs just inside the boundary in each direction. They even had an A-Back in a receiver position. They were almost as spread-out as a kickoff formation.

Yet to this commentator, it wasn’t “spread” because the QB was under center.

Joke.
    Last edited by pete4256; 21st May 2019 at 10:02 AM.
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops