TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the year thoughts on baseball

1. Default End of the year thoughts on baseball

Just some random thoughts:

1. We did a good job of non-conference scheduling with series vs Auburn UGa West Va and 2 scheduled with Ga Tech. It helped our RPI and had we won probably 3-5 more games vs teams we should have beaten it put us into at-large consideration. We have 26 games every year we can schedule non-conference games and I hope we will continue to try to schedule 12-15 of those vs high quality teams
    2 it was a strange year. We started out with excellent pitching the first 1/3 of the year and struggled to score. Then the pitching started faltering and we were searching for a reliable #2 and #3 starter. Relief was unreliable at times too. Shuman gave us a very nice year as did Whitney for the most part. Owens was a pleasant surprise too. As conference play progressed WcWhorter caught fire and had a very productive year as did Curry and Martin.
    3. These kids gave it all they had. They never quit and kept pushing forward. It took a while for us to get it rolling but honestly at mid season I gave us little chance to finish 1st in the East and 35-24 overall. Credit goes to them and the coaches.
    4. While I don t agree with every strategic move that Hennon makes it is clear he is a good coach. He can only do so much— he doesn’t hit pitch or catch. The players do that. Some that want him replaced just assume that would result in 40 plus win seasons and regionals every year. It is also just as likely we would drop to 20-25 win seasons every year.
    5. I don t have the answers but we need to do something to increase attendance at games. Giving away free food/drinks more contests or whatever— look at what other schools do. Get out in the city and beg if it takes it for businesses to contribute giveaways
    6. This may be just me but I would prefer weekend start times of 630/5/1 for Fri-Sun except maybe early season when it is cold

Just a few thoughts. On to next season

Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

I don't think even EskimoJoe believes that we should win 40 games and be in a regional most years. I don't think there's any team in the entire country that does that consistently - not even Coastal or ULL or any team in the SEC, ACC, or Big 12. I do know that I've seen plenty of peer or lesser programs get at-large bids or even make deep runs in regionals while we haven't gotten an at-large bid since 2001 (even App State got one before that coach moved on).

Get used to faltering attendance. I've said before on the subject of hiring football coaches I'm more afraid of hiring a Tim Stowers than a Tyson Summers because I'd argue that the slower and gradual damage is more lasting and people are more likely to be complacent about it. I'm afraid that's what we might have going on with baseball.

It's risky I can agree, but don't try to tell me there's not a head coach or an assistant at a major program that couldn't do a better job. The question is the risk worth taking the risk
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.

Coastal is the regionals just about every season.
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

4. Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Not lose in the championship game

Coastal Appearances:
    2007 - hosted
    2008 - hosted made Supers
    2010 - hosted made Supers
    2016 - won CWS
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

6. Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Better than us

Good for Coastal. They inhale vigorously in everything else. I certainly wouldn't want to trade athletic departments.

8. Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Coastal is the regionals just about every season.
    Yep, 15 of the last 18 years, that’s pretty consistent. That with what I assume is less of a budget than GS in the same recruiting area.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Yep, 15 of the last 18 years, that’s pretty consistent. That with what I assume is less of a budget than GS in the same recruiting area.
    They actually have a bigger budget than us. TK talked about them at one of the caravans. They actually get part of the hotel tax in the county, which is a huge deal for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt3412 View Post
    Good for Coastal. They inhale vigorously in everything else. I certainly wouldn't want to trade athletic departments.
    BTW, here's the Bubas Cup Points for Football, Men's Basketball, and Baseball

1. Georgia Southern 28
    2. Texas State 23.5
    3. Louisiana 19.5
    4T. Coastal 19
    4T. UTA 19
    6T. App State 17.5
    6T. Troy 17.5
    8. Georgia State 15.5
    9. South Alabama 15
    10. ULM 14.5
    11. Arkansas State 12.5
    12. Little Rock 12.5

Commanding lead, but we need to get some championships.
    "Follow the trendlines, not the headlines." -Steven Pinker (?)

REgardling football Scheduling.