TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Didn’t the year start out really rough and bats were cold the first few games. Or was this consistent all year? Did the team give up a lot runs as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimojoe View Post
    Love being out of at large consideration before April. The idiots that say we couldn’t find a Hennon replacement, remind me what the two previous coaches did.
    No one is saying we "can't" find a replacement. What some are saying is what happens when you do replace him and then end up with a Van Gonad or Tyson Summers or Tim Stowers? We could just as easily go backwards as forwards. Hennon is a known quantity that is always competitive, is pretty consistent, and has graduated his players with very little off the field issues for 20 years. You don't fire a coach that has been here as long as he has when he just won the division and took us to the conf championship game. Until he has a bad year or decides to retire on his own, I think Hennon is here to stay.
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive

Quote Originally Posted by KJ Eagle View Post
    No one is saying we "can't" find a replacement. What some are saying is what happens when you do replace him and then end up with a Van Gonad or Tyson Summers or Tim Stowers? We could just as easily go backwards as forwards. Hennon is a known quantity that is always competitive, is pretty consistent, and has graduated his players with very little off the field issues for 20 years. You don't fire a coach that has been here as long as he has when he just won the division and took us to the conf championship game. Until he has a bad year or decides to retire on his own, I think Hennon is here to stay.
    You are exactly right. For all the reasons you stated, and they are very good ones, Rodney is secure in his job, as he should be.

Based on the pre-season predictions, this team exceeded expectations.
    Laney Claxton
    BBA 1987

I'm torn. I think new blood in the program could be a great thing. But we could also end up with the baseball version of Tyson Summers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If I remember correctly, most of the schools in the Southern conference didn't even fill out the full scholarship limit in most years. Also, Southern had a big advantage with the Hope scholarship. Any kid on Hope did not count against the 11.7 scholarship limit. This advantage was one of the main reasons the UGA let David Perno go a few years after making it to the Championship series.

I my opinion Stallings did more with less talent and fewer advantages than Hennon.
    NCAA rules state 11.7 scholarships per team for DI baseball. Not sure how any team isn't giving out the full allotment, not to mention if that's even allowed.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    you know I know these kids pretty up close and personal but despite the fact I love everyone of them, I was NOT expecting them to do as well as they did. Picked 3rd in our division and to end up playing in title game, what can you say, another exciting GS baseball season. We may have to replace Shuman, Mason, Curry. Big Yank graduates and he's hopeful to be drafted. Got some work to do to bring in some more talent. I'm already looking forward to next season.

Quote Originally Posted by 1peatfor7 View Post
    NCAA rules state 11.7 scholarships per team for DI baseball. Not sure how any team isn't giving out the full allotment, not to mention if that's even allowed.
    It is allowed and some schools in the northeast don't provide any schlorship; however, they might get around this with grants. Davidson made it to the Super Regionals a few years ago with only about 3 full baseball scholarships. After that, Davidson received a big donation to increased the yearly scholarships provided by 4. The average NCAA baseball team loses $764K per year and some schools (Cal Santa Barbara) don't have lights. College baseball teams are not flush with money.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    It is allowed and some schools in the northeast don't provide any schlorship; however, they might get around this with grants. Davidson made it to the Super Regionals a few years ago with only about 3 full baseball scholarships. After that, Davidson received a big donation to increased the yearly scholarships provided by 4. The average NCAA baseball team loses $764K per year and some schools (Cal Santa Barbara) don't have lights. College baseball teams are not flush with money.
    I had no idea, thanks for sharing that info. I just assumed with only 11.7 between 35 guys it made the playing field more level.
    No longer eating crow for saying "The TO is gone get over it!!"

10. Default Re: End of the year thoughts on baseball

Quote Originally Posted by Booster EYES View Post
    Very true, but hunches and guesses from individuals outside of our program should not be an acceptable benchmark for determining our success, JMHO.