TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Killington View Post
    He laughed at a National Title with Hatcher as if Hatcher hasn't actually won a national title.

Some of y'all are silly.
    He’s won a National title in the FCS? How many playoff games has he won in his 12 years of coaching in the FCS?
    Too many Urkels on your team that's why your wins low

#1, our 1st FCS NC, then 2-6 our other NC's. #7 our win over Florida, #8 our win over ULM to run the SB/Win the SB, #9 our first bowl win and #10 last years bowl win.

Quote Originally Posted by garns 4 View Post
    #1, our 1st FCS NC, then 2-6 our other NC's. #7 our win over Florida, #8 our win over ULM to run the SB/Win the SB, #9 our first bowl win and #10 last years bowl win.
    Plus One.

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEX2 View Post
    Plus One.
    yep, Garns likes the hardware and shiny things.

yep, Garns likes the hardware and shiny things.
    It don’t mean a thing if you ain’t got that bling. lol

6. Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

The ULM game was a great one, but I would put both bowl games ahead of it. I mean, we won a conference title before and we technically already won that one before kickoff.

I occasionally read but rarely post, but will on this one.

#1 Is no contest... the 1985 2nd round playoff upset at #1 Middle Tennessee. Most important win in program history. They had played us at their place at the end of the 1984 season and had beaten us 42-7 We had won 8 and thought we were good and were right at the edge of being ranked for the first time and they killed us. Then they come to Statesboro at the start of the 1985 regular season ranked #1 and beat us again 35-7. Then we get in the playoffs win in the first round at home and you have to be kidding me... we have to go play #1 Middle Tennessee at their place in the second round after they had beaten us a combined 77-14 in the previous two match ups over our previous 14 games. We jump out to a 21-0 lead and hang on to win 28-21 thanks to #8. Make no mistake if they were to ever make the Erk movie, that was the game they would have used. It was the first game Coach Russell ever used Eagle Creek water. Was sort of our miracle on ice type game.... if we played em 10 times... they would have won 9... but they did not win that game.

#2 Then 1985 Furman (thanks to #1 above).

#3 The Florida upset.

#4 1999 Youngstown.

#5 2015 Bowling Green first Bowl win. 100,000 people watched us beat App last season on Thursday on ESPN U. 1.4 million watched us run all over Bowling Green two nights before Christmas in prime time in ESPN. Most people ever to see a Southern game.

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle82 View Post

#1 Is no contest... the 1985 2nd round playoff upset at #1 Middle Tennessee. Most important win in program history. They had played us at their place at the end of the 1984 season and had beaten us 42-7 We had won 8 and thought we were good and were right at the edge of being ranked for the first time and they killed us. Then they come to Statesboro at the start of the 1985 regular season ranked #1 and beat us again 35-7. Then we get in the playoffs win in the first round at home and you have to be kidding me... we have to go play #1 Middle Tennessee at their place in the second round after they had beaten us a combined 77-14 in the previous two match ups over our previous 14 games. We jump out to a 21-0 lead and hang on to win 28-21 thanks to #8. Make no mistake if they were to ever make the Erk movie, that was the game they would have used. It was the first game Coach Russell ever used Eagle Creek water. Was sort of our miracle on ice type game.... if we played em 10 times... they would have won 9... but they did not win that game.

#3 The Florida upset.

#4 1999 Youngstown.

#5 2015 Bowling Green first Bowl win. 100,000 people watched us beat App last season on Thursday on ESPN U. 1.4 million watched us run all over Bowling Green two nights before Christmas in prime time in ESPN. Most people ever to see a Southern game.
    No argument from me.

9. Default Re: Top GS Football games of all time - Nominations

My top 5 are all going to be quite recent. I'm too young to have seen the majority of the "Golden Era" of Georgia Southern football. But, I do remember watching my first game ever. It was a watch party for either the 1999 or 2000 championship game, I cant remember which as I would've been around 7. These aren't neccesarily the "best" football games, but the ones I enjoyed the most.

#5: 2014 Georgia State. After 4 years of living on a fake pedestal, this game finally came. We outnumbered their fans 10:1, and made their team look downright silly.

#4: 2018 App State. I'm a constant lurker on Reddit's college football page. That place is obsessed with App, and has this false narrative that they are P5 world-beaters. The weeks leading up to this game, the subreddit was flooded with "rank App State!" from fans of just about every P5 team you can imagine. Never mind that we were 6-1 and they 5-1. Anyways, we absolutely skull dragged them, and the schadenfreude felt reading that subreddit after the game was glorious.

#3: 2015 Bowling Green. We were the only bowl game on TV that night, and brought in 1.4 million viewers. In a game that seemed to be getting away from us in the first half, we flipped the script and tore Bowling Green apart. Between Favian's run and Ellison's 4th down hail mary, that was a fun game.

#2: 2014 ULM. All we had to do was win, and we would be undefeated Sun Belt champs our first year in the FBS. That hit by Matt Dobson encapsulated Georgia Southern football. We all stormed the field, hugged players, and had a great time. It was one of my favorite memories from college. My ex that I was there with still has a video of EJ singing We are the Champions into her phone.

#1: 2013 Florida. In what was a pretty depressing season (not playoff eligible, essentially playing for nothing), this was the perfect win to leave the FCS with, and gave us notoriety to those P5 fanbases that had never heard of us as we came into the FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by gsueagle82 View Post

#3 The Florida upset.

#4 1999 Youngstown.

Thanks for sharing your perspective !

The '99 game is an interesting one ... I think many who were tuned in to I-AA at the time were expecting to see us meet up with FAMU that year but the Rattlers messed up late vs. Tressel's Penguins in a controversial finish. I was glad to see YSU there, to be honest but that was a great game. FAMU was a scary good team that year.

I asked Coach Tressel in the post-game press conference why he didn't keep running Adrian Brown in the game (he had gashed us), and he said he didn't think they could keep matching up with us on the scoreboard running the ball. Tressel had used Jared Swick most of the year until the playoffs, until Jeff Ryan took over ... When he went back to Swick in the NC game for a play or two I thought it was desperation, and bet PJ smelled that
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.