TrueGSU.com

Follow GSUFANS.com on

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite GS Football Play.....

Default Re: Your Favorite GS Football Play.....

Quote Originally Posted by eaglewraith View Post
    I think Son of The Run would count for that one more actually. At the point of The Run, it was basically just the dam breaking.

Against Montana though, they had just scored to go up and had limited us after we went up early. The legend goes that AP told the OL to give him a hole and he'd take care of the rest. That ended up being the game winner.

The SotR is a legend that should keep growing. At the time, AP had done so many unbelievable things that the magnitude was lost on me (maybe “diminished” is a better word?).
    Thanks, Rastabot!
    www.247sports.com/porkchops

Quote Originally Posted by EAGLEMAN View Post
    Well said. I would probably add The Run to that last category.

As far as just opening up the GS can and serving notice, you’re 100% right.

I’ve never seen a run that had ebbs and flows of crowd reaction like that one. You could hear the whole stadium inhale vigorously in its breath every time AP broke free, and then go nuts when he crushed a defender. Then it would get quiet again until the next collision.

What a play to see in real time! I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.

AP had a great TD run against UMass a couple of weeks before in which he went similarly beasty. He went through a guy at the line, spun off another big hit, and put his helmet in a defender’s gut to help him him re-gain balance (trucking him in the process) before strolling into the end zone.

I don’t recall any good film of that one on YouTube, but it seems like the ca. 2000 “AP for Heisman” video had a good shot of it.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

A couple of “icing on the cake” plays that I haven’t seen mentioned:

1) Tracy to Ricky Harris to close the door on Arkansas State and a great run for those ‘86 seniors.

2) Alex Mash pick-six to close out Nevada in the 1990 NC.

Those are all-time greats in terms of “winning in style” points.
    Thanks, Rastabot!

4. Default Re: Your Favorite GS Football Play.....

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    The SotR is a legend that should keep growing. At the time, AP had done so many unbelievable things that the magnitude was lost on me (maybe “diminished” is a better word?).
    +1

I could not agree more. The Montana run was the definition of clutch. It is legendary and exactly what you want to see from your superstar when the game is on the line. It’s what we all hoped for from Tookie and Seth in their last games.

However, relative to the run/play itself, I feel like I have seen that at GS often... but, the ‘99 YSU run, I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before in college football. Simply amazing.

Nowhere near the most memorable play, but there's one I always like to bring up as it gets funnier with age.

In 2004 we beat the bejeezus out of Johnson C. Smith. We emptied the bench and everyone got to play. By the fourth quarter, we had even subbed out the backup QB and decided to run almost exclusively B-back follows with the third string quarterback in an effort to not break off big plays and run up the score.

Of course, that ended up being possibly the cruelest thing we could have done as that third string QB was a freshman Jayson Foster.
    The thoughts and opinions discussed in this post are property of CC Eagle and should not be redistributed or retransmitted without the express written consent of Major League Baseball.

6. Default Re: Your Favorite GS Football Play.....

Brieda's run on the opening drive against NC State saw me jump about 4 feet into the air. Not one of the most famous plays, but one I'll never forget.

Though it was from the opposition, I was always amazed at that one play that one time when that kid from Wofford tried field a punt without having any arms. Do you remember what that kid's name was, Terry?
    Larry
    Perry, GA

Quote Originally Posted by CC Eagle View Post
    Nowhere near the most memorable play, but there's one I always like to bring up as it gets funnier with age.

In 2004 we beat the bejeezus out of Johnson C. Smith. We emptied the bench and everyone got to play. By the fourth quarter, we had even subbed out the backup QB and decided to run almost exclusively B-back follows with the third string quarterback in an effort to not break off big plays and run up the score.

Of course, that ended up being possibly the cruelest thing we could have done as that third string QB was a freshman Jayson Foster.
    This is the game where the crowd went wild when Johnson C. Smith kicked s field goal near the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Chambers View Post
    Though it was from the opposition, I was always amazed at that one play that one time when that kid from Wofford tried field a punt without having any arms. Do you remember what that kid's name was, Terry?
    rofl, there it is.
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.” ― Vince Lombardi Jr.

10. Default Re: Your Favorite GS Football Play.....

Quote Originally Posted by pete4256 View Post
    As far as just opening up the GS can and serving notice, you’re 100% right.

I’ve never seen a run that had ebbs and flows of crowd reaction like that one. You could hear the whole stadium inhale vigorously in its breath every time AP broke free, and then go nuts when he crushed a defender. Then it would get quiet again until the next collision.

What a play to see in real time! I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything quite like it.

AP had a great TD run against UMass a couple of weeks before in which he went similarly beasty. He went through a guy at the line, spun off another big hit, and put his helmet in a defender’s gut to help him him re-gain balance (trucking him in the process) before strolling into the end zone.

I don’t recall any good film of that one on YouTube, but it seems like the ca. 2000 “AP for Heisman” video had a good shot of it.
    The Run was incredible....

It’s a shame that the only video is kind of crappy, and the audio doesn’t capture the feeling at all.

From my perspective, AP was just slinging big guys around like rag dolls. It was otherworldly